2008 First

Discussion forum for sightings.
Pete Woodruff

2008 First

Post by Pete Woodruff »

The year of 2008 looks set to become something of a disaster for butterfly sightings up here in the North of England. It has taken me until 25 July to find my first Painted Lady, and I have personally heard of only one other sighting in my area. Other sightings - other than a few more common species - have only amounted to 11 Small Heath, 7 Large Heath (19 June) and 3-4 Small Copper and Gatekeeper recently.

Pete Woodruff.
Butterfly
Butterfly
Img0067-1.jpg (63.14 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
Paul

Re: 2008 First

Post by Paul »

Maybe they're just late this year, Painted Lady here in N. Yorks this weekend, along with Peacock, Red Admiral, Comma & Small Tort... beginning to look more normal, though numbers are down :?
Pete Woodruff

Post by Pete Woodruff »

I think you could be right Paul....'maybe they're just late this year'. However, I'm sticking to my 'disaster' (strong words these) prediction, at least up here in the North. I've been out today on the coast and although it turned quite pleasant eventually the wind still has a chill and our forecast for the week is not good. Positive news was that I saw my second Painted Lady briefly today as it 'blew' past me......poor thing!

Quote....'Don't confuse realism with pessimism'.

Pete Woodruff.
ianc

Post by ianc »

Well suddenly North Cumbria has burst into life at Bowness GP today 1 Large Skipper 6 Wall 8 Red Admiral, 10 Small Tortoiseshell 26+ Peacock and the usual Green veined and Large Whites, Meadow Browns and Ringlets. no sign of the 4 Small Copper that were there last week,Just waiting for the Painted Ladies and the Commas now.
Ian C
Pete Woodruff

Post by Pete Woodruff »

I get the distinct impression that Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell are 'down' this year, indeed I have personally recorded as many - if not more - Small Copper and Gatekeeper so far in 2008. I've just taken a look at a BBC five day forecast for the North Lancashire area which shows rain all five days.

Not looking forward to another 'few/no butterflies' week.

Pete Woodruff.
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

Rain all week in North Wales, my poor hay was due to be cut in June and its still standing. When it is dry here its truns humid and the butterflies do come out then at least in the garden. Quite a few Red Admiral's all on my buddlia, Speckled Woods are down and I've never seen a Brimstone ever, but I have noticed that perhaps the White's are having a very good year.
James M

Post by James M »

Haven't seen a Painted Lady yet, nice shot!, infact all butterflies are down in my area. If we get a respite from these cool wet summers, how long would it take before many species return to numbers similar to 2006? as I remember the buddleia swarming that year.
Last edited by James M on Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Nice shot, still no painted ladies here since the last one a while ago. I remember 2006 as well, first year I saw clouded yellows, hundreds of tortoiseshells/peacocks/red admirals/painted ladies etc... and humming bird hawkmoths, a few of them and hundreds of silver y moths, I practically could not move in one field without finding them everywhere.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

Hi Dave,

I think that if you go to your garden center and buy a white buddlia in flower you may find that may entice the Painted Lady butterfly to your garden, I have a small white buddlia and a lilac one, every sunny day there is a Painted Lady on the white buddlia. Worth a try. From Shirley.
Pete Woodruff

Post by Pete Woodruff »

Dave McCormick wrote:Nice shot, still no painted ladies here since the last one a while ago. I remember 2006 as well, first year I saw clouded yellows, hundreds of tortoiseshells/peacocks/red admirals/painted ladies etc... and humming bird hawkmoths, a few of them and hundreds of silver y moths, I practically could not move in one field without finding them everywhere.
I remember 2006 too Dave. On 7 August this year I counted 12 Clouded Yellow in less than 15 minutes all flying east towards me along a coastal path on the Fylde. As for 2008......dream on!

Pete Woodruff.
ianc

Post by ianc »

First Painted Lady in the gravel pits at Bowness on Solway today also 1 Small Copper,1 Meadow Brown, 3 Red Admiral, 5 Small Tortoiseshell,15 Peacock and an amazing 23+ Wall Brown, also Large and Small Whites and 2 Silver Y Moths.
Ian
Pete Woodruff

Post by Pete Woodruff »

Ian

Your record of 'an amazing 23+ Wall Browns' prompts me to report seeing three today at Cockersands on the coast in North Lanc's. The only butterfly species (save a solitary Speckled Wood and the prolific 'whites') seen in seven hours of intense searching in Gods great outdoors.

Remember the butterflies of the summer of 2008......NO THANKS!!

Pete Woodruff.
ianc

Post by ianc »

Hi Pete,
Why I say amazing is that I have never seen more that 3 Wall on any one day and there were probably more than 23 as I only covered about 200yds, also I did not want to walk away from the paths and cause any damage to the plants that grow there.
Ian
Pete Woodruff

Post by Pete Woodruff »

Hi Ian

I understood your post perfectly, 23+ in a day is as you put it 'amazing' and heres me lamenting on the summer of '08 in particular with regards to butterflies. I was somewhat cheered up today with the sight of one or two Peacocks, my first of the year (believe it or not) Red Admiral, and a not so pristine Comma.

A personal thanks for sharing your record Ian.

Pete Woodruff.

Return to “Sightings”