Cross-mating hairstreaks

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Chris Jackson

Cross-mating hairstreaks

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi folks,
Small quiz. Seen today in the south of France, Marseilles. Who are these cross-mating hairstreaks?
Anybody with similar cross-mating Hairstreak experiences ?
spini and esculi Parc des Bruyères 25May20 (3).JPG
Chris
petesmith

Re: Cross-mating hairstreaks

Post by petesmith »

Interesting Chris. Blue spot and False Ilex pairing. In my experience, male False Ilex will attempt to pair with pretty much any female hairstreak that they encounter! But actually being successful is another thing. Great pic!
David M

Post by David M »

That's quite something, Chris. :shock:

Definitely Blue Spot & False Ilex.

Perhaps the offspring will be False BlueSplex?
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Here is the only photographic evidence that I have to support my previous comment - a male False Ilex attempting to copulate with a female Spanish Purple Hairstreak. Just for the record, the lady was not impressed...
False Ilex Spanish Hstrk pair.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

The only time I've seen this happen was a male Meadow Brown with a female Ringlet.

Interesting that it seems to be closely related species pushing the boundaries; I'm sure we'd never see a Small Skipper trying it on with a Peacock! :shock:
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:24 pm The only time I've seen this happen was a male Meadow Brown with a female Ringlet.

Interesting that it seems to be closely related species pushing the boundaries; I'm sure we'd never see a Small Skipper trying it on with a Peacock! :shock:
Wouldn't be so sure David, go look at the Meadow Brown adult images on here and I did see an image of a Brimstone Moth in cop with a butterfly a year or two ago. I can't for the life of me remember what butterfly species it was (probably a meadow Brown judging by their antics) or where the image cropped up on :?
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

David M wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:24 pm The only time I've seen this happen was a male Meadow Brown with a female Ringlet.

Interesting you should say that, David... This time last year I found a Grizzled Skipper making a play for a male Adonis Blue on Denbies Hillside.

download/file.php?id=142205&mode=view

Obviously he failed, but you can see the curved abdomen aiming to connect in the shot above. He bothered the Adonis for some while.

download/file.php?id=142208&mode=view

Very strange.

Cheers,

Dave
jenks

Post by jenks »

Interesting and unusual behaviour. Mind you David M said "I'm sure we'd never see a Small Skipper trying it on with a Peacock!" Why not, Bernie Eccleston (5 feet 2 inches) tries it on with any female over 5 feet 9 !

Cant you just tell I`m getting bored and frustrated with staying at home (or within walking distance). In view of Johnson`s pathetic condoning of Cummings disgraceful actions I see nothing wrong with me planning a 20-25 mile round trip to see some new sightings.

Jenks.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Fascinating sighting, Chris. There are reports of spini mating with ilicis, but I'm not aware of any with esculi. Brilliant bit of spotting. I wish the happy couple all the best! :D

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Thanks Pete, David, Buggy, Dave, Jenks and Guy for your input on this topic.
Very encouraging.
Chris

Return to “Overseas”