European Satyrids Top Ten

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
petesmith

European Satyrids Top Ten

Post by petesmith »

Now this has been much tougher than I had anticipated.
To start with, there are one hell of a lot of Browns, Ringlets, Graylings, Marbled Whites and Heaths to choose from, and narrowing it down to just ten was truly tough!
In the end, I went for a bit of a "selection box" approach...

Number Ten Esper's Marbled White
Esper's Marbled White 3.JPG
Esper's Marbled White 5.JPG
Esper's Marbled White unds 2.JPG
M.russiae
My first attempt at a top ten didn't have a single "Marbled White" in it, which was clearly unacceptable. It was a toss-up between this species and the Western Marbled White. This one makes the cut largely because of the excitement of finding my first one in a steep meadow near Barcelonette, at the end of July a few years back. It was my first ever Esper's, and I spent a good half hour chasing around like a lunatic, waiting for it to land so that I could get a photo. This is a large Marbled White species, appearing quite white in flight. I have revisited the Barcelonette site several times since, and never seen the butterfly there again, but we did encounter quite a few in the Picos de Europa last year, which is where these were photographed, and later on it was about in the Montes Universales in early August, if a little past its prime.

Number 9 Dusky Heath
Dusky Heath (2).jpg
Dusky Heath (4).JPG
Dusky Heath (5).JPG
C.dorus
I find this species highly attractive. I think it is the way that the hindwing ocelli are bordered on both sides by a pale whitish colour that gives it such appeal. Another memorable first encounter. As Roger has mentioned, you always remember your first time of finding a given species. My first Dusky Heath was on a scree slope in the Maritime Alps, and it lead me on a merry dance up and down the slope in 35 degree temperatures before eventually landing for long enough to confirm that it was indeed what I suspected it to be. Seeing new species is certainly good for the soul; I am not always convinced it is quite as good for the heart!

Number 8 Dryad
Dryad (2).jpg
Dryad underside (2).jpg
dryad underside 2.JPG
Dryad unds.jpg
The Dryad#001.jpg
M.dryas
This large, dark Satyrid made a big impression on me when I encountered it in the north of the Dordogne at the end of July 2002. It was numerous, and also very freshly emerged. The effect when a fresh adult flicks its wings open to reveal those dreamy blue-centred spots is quite dramatic! A few of these shots were taken not far from Stephane's hotel, along the famous track.

Number 7 Spring Ringlet
Spring Ringlet 4.JPG
Spring Ringlet unds3.JPG
Spring Ringlet.JPG
E.epistygne
This butterfly was the main target for an early spring trip to the PACA region of SE France. I had identified a potential location via google earth; the aerial view looked like the habitat might be suitable, and it wasn't too far away from an historic record. We drove from Nice up to the site, as the weather deteriorated, and we arrived in dense cloud with the car giving the temperature as 8 degrees. Not great butterflying weather. I got out of the car just to have a look at the habitat, and within 100metres I had kicked up a rather sleepy epistygne. What a moment! I hadn't even taken my camera with me. A return trip the following morning in much better weather produced about a dozen of this early season Erebia. The undersides are particularly attractive, with their marbled markings and very prominent venation, and the uppersides have interesting contrasts between forewing and hindwing, with the ocelli being backed with orange on the hindwings, and a more yellowish colour on the forewings.

Number 6 Lattice Brown
Lattice Brown (2).jpg
lattice brown (3).jpg
lattice brown 2 (2).jpg
Lattice Brown 2.jpg
lattice brown.jpg
K.roxelana
My first encounter with this gorgeous beast was in Corfu some years ago. The underside markings are lovely, and the butterfly is quite a character, loping along and often resting up in the shade on the trunk of a tree in between brief flights. Sometimes it rests up in more accessible places, and allows itself to be approached for photography.

Good luck folks with making your choices!
Top five to follow shortly...
Medard

Re: European Satyrids Top Ten

Post by Medard »

Hello Pete, you have "quenched" my bonfire and already chosen three of my favourites, yes this is a hard call, I'm not an enthusiast of SBB ie Erebia , however I shall rise to the challenge. :D
David M

Post by David M »

Hold on you guys!! I haven't even started the Pierids yet?
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Medard wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:53 pm Hello Pete, you have "quenched" my bonfire and already chosen three of my favourites
Apologies Jim! I quite like the fact that some species are such favourites, and your photographs and stories will be different to mine, so I shall look forward to your selection with eager anticipation. :D
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

David M wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:55 pm Hold on you guys!! I haven't even started the Pierids yet?
There's no rush David! I clearly have too much time on my hands right now, and the itch to get back to Europe is only dulled temporarily with each fresh posting...
David M

Post by David M »

petesmith wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:10 am...and the itch to get back to Europe is only dulled temporarily with each fresh posting...
Wish you could prescribe me some of what you're taking, Pete, as mine aches like root canal treatment!
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Erebias eh? I have come to think of this group of Satyrids as the "Marmite" butterflies - you either love them or hate them! My first encounters with this group was back in 2001, on a family Eurocamp holiday near Annecy. As a complete novice at the time, and holidaying with a young family, I was blown away by the range of Erebias on the wing on the local mountainsides, and also by the apparent difficulty in identifying them. Even renowned experts often find it hard to agree on the ID of some specimens. Added to this is the additional difficulty in actually approaching and photographing some of this group - some species fly relentlessly and rarely settle to give you even a sporting chance of working out what they are...
Once you get more familiar with them, I have found that they become a source of great interest, and in terms of Marmite, I am now a definite lover rather than a hater! Many species have highly restricted ranges, confined to particular mountain ranges, and often for reasons that aren't clearly apparent. I have already slipped one Erebia into my top ten, and here are two more.

Number 5 False Mnestra Ringlet
False Mnestra Ringlet (2).JPG
False Mnestra Ringlet (3).jpg
False Mnestra Ringlet 2.jpg
false mnestra ringlet unds.jpg
false mnestra ringlet ups.jpg
E.aethiopella
This is one of those Erebias with a fairly restricted range, although nowhere near as rare as Guy's much loved christi. Nevertheless, geographically this species is decidedly local. If you happen to stumble across a good colony, it can be quite numerous. I find it in good numbers in the Queyras during July, where all of these photographs were taken.

Number 4 Zapater's Ringlet
Zapater's Ringlet 2.JPG
Zapater's Ringlet 9.JPG
Zapater's Ringlet unds.JPG
Zapater's Ringlet.JPG
E.zapateri
Who couldn't fall in love with this beauty? So rare, pretty much endemic to the Montes Universales, and yet almost like a Brown Hairstreak when on the wing, with that gorgeous orangey forewing patch. It has to be seen to be believed!

Top three shall follow...
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Third place - Southern Hermit
Southern Hermit female.JPG
Southern Hermit 4.JPG
Southern Hermit.JPG
C.prieuri
Another rare and highly localised species. This really captured my imagination when I first encountered it in its dry, rocky home in the Montes Universales. It took me a few days to get a decent photograph, but I was very happy with my encounters with about a dozen of this gorgeously marked butterfly. Another highly memorable event, and another heart-stopper!
David M

Post by David M »

Keep 'em coming, Pete - you're providing happy memories for me as well as yourself. 8)
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

David M wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:56 pm Keep 'em coming, Pete - you're providing happy memories for me as well as yourself. 8)
I am trying my hardest David! We all need succour in these hard times. Not sure if this one is on your wish list, or one you have already seen...

Second Place - Scarce Heath
Scarce Heath 4.JPG
Scarce Heath 6.JPG
Scarce Heath 11.JPG
Scarce Heath male.JPG
C.hero
Here is a butterfly that ticks just about every box in my decision-making process for choosing a top ten.

Is it rare? - Yes!
Is it beautiful? - Absolutely! Especially the females.
Is its habitat a bit special? - It certainly is! Although when I first arrived at the site where these photo's were taken, it didn't immediately look particularly different. Just a bit of damp grassland in amongst woodland, with no obvious particular quality. However, the mix of butterflies on the wing soon confirmed that this was a rather unique place - where else could you see the following range of species:
Purple-edged Copper
Large Copper
Mazarine Blue
Adonis Blue
Lesser Marbled Fritillary
Marsh Fritillary
False Heath Fritillary
Woodland Ringlet
Chequered Skipper
Black-veined White
Did it raise your heart-rate when you first saw it? - Certainly... the males are particularly dark on the wing and instantly recognisable. The females are just sublime. Neither sex is fond of sitting still, and I spent two days on site trying to get a few decent shots.
First place to follow shortly...
David M

Post by David M »

petesmith wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:35 pm...Not sure if this one is on your wish list, or one you have already seen...
Certainly is on my wish list, Pete, and in quite a high position too! Given its distribution though, I will probably only get round to seeing it after I retire. :(

As you rightly say in your summary, it ticks just about all the boxes and is an absolute beauty.
Medard

Post by Medard »

False Mnestra Ringlet (Erebia aethiopella)
The False Mnestra Ringlet gave me  one of those exciting moments that happens when you are least expecting it, suddenly there it is, a new and exciting butterfly in front of the camera, thé richness of its colour had an  irresistible pull  on my eye , it gave me just time for this one shot.
The picture was taken on the Col Agnell in the Queyras National Park
Esper's Marbled White (Melanargia russiae)
My first choice to represent the Melanargia’s was (Melanargia occitania) thé Western Marbled White, Its underwing markings are so very attractive  but decided to select russiae a butterfly not so frequently encountered.
The hill that over looks the little village of Sederon in the Drome offers good opportunities for the butterfly enthusiast , it was whilst exploring this hillside that I found my first Esper's Marbled White.
A great many Marbled White (Melanargia galathea) were in flight, after all they are a very common species, I noticed amongst the many two that stood out from all the others, they were conspicuously whiter and larger, I selected one and followed it until it decided to stop to nectar, I some took photos and later checked against my Collins guide, I had found an entirely new species, all very exciting, this was my first encounter with the Espers marbled White, since I have found them at other locations on the nearby hillsides above the village.
The Hermit (Chazara briseis) Drome.
As with the two preceding comments an entirely unexpected encounter, taking the path to reach the open hillside above the village I noticed the hermit warming itself with wings fully spread, a great opportunity for this open wing shot, I have often returned to the same location hoping to see another Hermit without success, the photo was taken where the Espers marble whites fly.
The Hermit (Chazara briseis) Drome
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com
Medard

Post by Medard »

Pearly Heath (Coenonympha arcania)
An attractive small butterfly I found my first on a birding trip to la Brenne in scrub land that also gave me sightings of Black Hairstreak, Ilex Hairstreak, Woodland brown and many more.
The local farmer had a magnificent Cockerel in the farmyard, I decided to take a photo of the bird, the following year I introduced myself with a large picture of the bird, the Farmer and his wife were delighted, Pineau des Charentes was produced, the bird was toasted (not roasted) and we reaffirmed the entente cordiale, we now have parking facility's plus access to his land.

Woodland Brown (Lopinga achine) My first Woodland Brown was also seen in the Brenne at the previous location mentioned, another first, in 2018 on a visit to the Côte-d'Or in search of the Scarce Fritillary (Euphydryas maturna) in the woodland locations that we visited these handsome butterflies were very numerous, I was lucky and found both species in the same woodland.
Woodland Brown (Lopinga achine)
Woodland Brown (Lopinga achine)<br />La Brenne
La Brenne

Yellow-spotted Ringlet (Erebia manto) Spot the yellow spots, I have been assured that this is indeed Manto, I do hope some one can confirm it's ID.
Yellow-spotted Ringlet (Erebia manto)
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/
Medard

Post by Medard »

Dusky Heath (Coenonympha dorus)
The next three species have been very difficult, It was very challenging to decide how to place them in any order of preference, impossible they are all special for me , so these all share the same slot, joint second.
Dorus pleases me because of the warmth of the colours the metallic stripe adds a touch of elegance to this magical little butterfly of the south of France
Striped Grayling (Hipparchia fidia)
Travelling towards Apt in the Vaucluse a stop at a likely looking location gave me my first sighting of this species, its one of my topmost favourites, simply a beautiful butterfly, its preferred habitat appears to be a barren rocky hillside , well camouflaged and not until disturbed are you aware of its presence, I return whenever I am in the vicinity just for the pleasure of seeing it, a magnificent butterfly

Scarce Heath (Coenonympha hero)
Amongst the rarest of French butterflies, for that reason it enjoys police protection, who seem to appear as if by magic, but its natural habitat, a marshland swamp offers it a high degree of protection, a physically demanding species to photograph.
David M

Post by David M »

Absolutely fabulous, Jim. Cheered me up no end.

Those Woodland Brown images are probably the best I've seen of this species.

Roll on a return to European travel!!
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

I'll echo David's comment on the Woodland Browns, absolutely superb, Jim. Last time I was in a location for them (2017) I saw over 100 and they almost never stopped flying and when they did I could not get nearer than 2m. And they flew into the bushes. They are without doubt the most nervous and unapproachable species I have ever encountered.

I'll post my favourite Satyrids as soon I have decided what to leave out. It's not proving easy. The Heaths could almost fill a top ten on their own (well, nine of the places, as there are only nine of them in France).
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Great stuff Jim! We clearly have remarkably similar tastes when it comes to the Satyrids. I was very sad to have to leave out Striped Grayling when it came to choosing my top ten, so I am delighted that you have included it, and I have yet to have the pleasure of seeing Yellow-spotted Ringlets.
Anyway, here is my number 1.
First Place - Woodland Brown
Woodland Brown 6.JPG
Woodland Brown 3.JPG
Woodland Brown 7.JPG
Woodland Brown in tree-top.JPG
Woodland Brown.JPG
Woodland Brown on hand.JPG
Woodland Brown on tyre.JPG
Woodland Brown on bumper.JPG
L.achine
This is one stunning creature. My personal favourite Satyrid by a good margin. I saw a couple of these beauties back in 2001 along a shady woodland ride, up a steep hillside not far from lake Annecy. It was in my "pre-digital camera" days, just, and the butterflies kept disappearing inconveniently into the shade, way back from the path, making photography very difficult. I only managed a couple of very poor long-distance shots, but a seed had been sown...
Seventeen years later, on a solo trip to the Burgundy region of France, I spent several idyllic days exploring the woods and grasslands north of Dijon, and found this species by the hundreds! Almost every time I pulled my car hire over onto a roadside verge, Woodland Browns would appear, and take a big interest in the car and myself. Getting to photograph them in more natural settings than car tyres, bumpers, or fox scat, was a little more challenging, but they were so numerous (and so fresh) that eventually I got a series of photographs that I was quite happy with.
The experience was yet another unforgettable one, seeing achine in such quantity, in a beautiful landscape, full of orchids and fritillaries. The stuff of dreams...
David M

Post by David M »

Fully concur with your choice, Pete. Been a bit of an achine blitz to the senses! :)

I have actually seen this species in Austria, but they were past their best and in any case my images have been lost due to UKB's 5 year 'cleanse'. :(

I hope to see them again at some point, but I can only imagine how thrilling it must have been to see so many of them when, in western Europe at least, it is a decidedly scarce species.
Medard

Post by Medard »

False Ringlet (Coenonympha oedippus)
This was one of my earliest rare butterflies that I tracked down before I had made the acquaintance of two French friends who have since been of great help, both of which I amImmensely grateful to.

Coenonympha oedippus, the false ringlet
This was one of my earliest butterfly successes, it is an extremely rare butterfly in France, my first problem was where to find it, a search on the Internet was unsuccessful until I happened on a newspaper article, a local conservation group was up in arms over the granting of a permission for a housing estate alongside a protected area that Oedipus inhabited, that was my first lucky break, I now started to look for other possible sites in the near locality, by chance I found a small reserve not far away, a possibility.
Returning from a trip to the Pyrenees I decided to reconnoitre this site, no sooner had I parked our camping car than two ladies approached me and asked if I would like to go for a walk with them, I smiled and politely declined and made my excuses, I explained that we were making our way home, apparently this was an organised walk as part of the jours de patrimoine, familiar with the France way of life we decided to watch the preparations that were under way, trestle tables were set up, white tablecloths laid, coffee urn and china cups and saucers, the guests arrived many of the ladies elegantly dressed, the contrast between a group of walkers on my local reserve could not have been more different, whilst this was happening I noticed two young men standing aloof, I guessed that they were to lead the walk, I went over and spoke to them.
At first they did not seem inclined to converse until I asked them directly “ does Coenonympha hero fly on this site”  they then became very helpful, yes replied one, this is probably the best site in France for this species, I now had the information I needed to return the following year to search Oedipus.
The following year we returned, 28° in the shade, I quickly found my first Oedipus in a shady woodland location, but then had to extend my search to an area that would make a good assault training ground for special forces , with the temperature above 30° to say the least it was very challenging, but I finally had success with  Oedipus.
On my return to the campsite a few celebratory beers were in order.
Habitat of Coenonympha oedippus
Habitat of Coenonympha oedippus
False Ringlet (Coenonympha oedippus)<br />First sighting
First sighting
False Ringlet (Coenonympha oedippus)<br />Dordogne
Dordogne
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

My choices of Satyrids may be a little different to Jim’s and Pete’s. Here goes:

No. 10 Mnestra’s Ringlet (Erebia mnestra)
An Erebia of the northern French Alps that I have only ever seen when venturing north into Savoie. So it gets my vote on the grounds of it’s: a) quite a cute little Erebia and b) I don’t get to see it very often.
Erebia mnestra_41885W.JPG
No. 9 Mountain Ringlet (E. epiphron)
Another Erebia, one which occurs right across Europe with different subspecies in each of many locations. This is a female from the Pyrenees.
Erebia epiphron_38662W.JPG
No. 8 Dusky Heath (Coenonympha dorus)
I am a big fan of the Coenonympha family. There are nine species in France and they have each adapted to very different terrains, from mountains to wetlands to the far south, the latter being the home of dorus. It has very bold ocelli and very well-developed markings and a nice silver stripe. The first here is a typical dorus of the south and the second is of the form microphthalma from the southern Cevennes.
Coenonympha dorus_11117W.JPG
Coenonympha dorus_43761W.JPG
No. 7 Esper’s Marbled White (Melanargia russiae)
Everyone’s favourite Melanargia species it seems, even outscoring the delicate Western Marbled White (M. occitanica). It is very localised in France. Jim has noted seeing it near Séderon, although it is generally to be found all across that region. It is one of those species that took me a long time to find, but when I did, I found it everywhere in that region. I did hope to spend a couple of days at Séderon at the end of June but that is looking increasingly unlikely. It is, as has been noted, noticeably larger that the ubiquitous Marbled White (M. galathea) with which it often flies, and appears much whiter in flight. This is a female upperside and underside, the latter actually being a mating pair, the male being at 90 degrees and thoughtfully not interfering with the shot.
Melanargia russiae_40968W.JPG
Melanargia russiae_38401W.JPG

Return to “Overseas”