May 2020

Discussion forum for sightings.
Chris L

Re: May 2020

Post by Chris L »

Absolutely fantastic photos. As Jack wrote, equally interested in your general locale. A bit of jealousy with regards species and numbers is being had by self at present but I shall work on that.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Sorry Jack ! I do generally say ,I,m in mid Kent ……………..about 15 miles from Dover. Thanks for that Otep !
Regards Allan.W.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Thanks Allan. I am beginning to think I am in the worst part of the UK for butterflies or I am unlucky or I am such an amateur I am not au fait with how and where to look.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Otep ,I don,t know where you are in the UK ,but I can guarantee that someone on these forums will happily answer your questions ,
ie; where to go and how to look for butterflies in your area ,I mean straight away ,Jack is up in Scotland and I,m at the other end of UK , and theres people dotted around at every point in between , for instance if I can,t identify some thing ,I know if I stick a picture on someone is their to help. that maybe plants insects ,birds or anything really ,if you,re not sure …….ask ,this is an excellent friendly and very informative website …….
I,ve learnt so much ! Regards Allan.W.
millerd

Post by millerd »

My first trip out away from home this year involved a visit to Aston Rowant where a few Adonis Blues had emerged.
AB1 150520.JPG
There were Small Blues at Pitstone...
SB5 150520.JPG
...and Dukes and Grizzlies at Ivinghoe Beacon.
DB4a 150520.JPG
GS1 150520.JPG
A full report of the day should emerge on my PD in about a week's time! :)

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

millerd wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:55 pm My first trip out away from home this year involved a visit to Aston Rowant where a few Adonis Blues had emerged.AB1 150520.JPGThere were Small Blues at Pitstone...SB5 150520.JPG...and Dukes and Grizzlies at Ivinghoe Beacon.DB4a 150520.JPGGS1 150520.JPGA full report of the day should emerge on my PD in about a week's time! :)

Dave
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: That is all, I'm going to bed!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Medard

Post by Medard »

Took a trip to Powerstock common, Dorset yesterday hoping to see Marsh Frits ,no luck but a fine young Adder that slide away before I could take any pictures, onto Cerne Abbas in the hopes of finding the Dukes, the car parks were blocked off, dont come here, but I did find a place to park.
Seen, one Marshy one Common blue one Small heath, too many dog walkers so made a return home.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Talk and pictures of snakes makes me optimistic that I might seen one too. I have only ever seen one wild snake and that was when I was roughly about 6 years old. This one would be fine if I was currently aged 15 but I am 52.

Grizzled Skippers are lovely looking butterflies aren't they. I hope I see one of those one day.
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Think we'd all like to be 15 again Otep...actually maybe not !

Not sure where you live but you may have snakes and not know it. We've put a couple of small mats down by our compost heap and at the moment are pretty much guaranteed to see a grass snake if we lift one up in the late afternoon. Took the top snap yesterday evening - It's only a young 'un. Most I've seen under one mat at a time is 2, but we are seeing bigger ones as well.

I'd never noticed one in the garden until we put the mats down. We haven't got a big garden but it backs onto the London - Brighton main line so a downside is noise but an upside is the nature corridor of the wooded embankment.

We do get a lot of slow worms too.

The bottom grass snake pic was from from 12th April in the fields behind our local pub - where I'm doing most of my butterfly scouting. I just spotted something out of the corner of my eye.

Like you I'm new to butterflies, so keep the faith and keep 'em peeled on both butterflies and reptiles....you've got 4 years on me so plenty of time !!
Attachments
DSC09416 (2).JPG
DSC08565.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:55 pmMy first trip out away from home this year involved a visit to Aston Rowant where a few Adonis Blues had emerged...
Dave, the sense of joy in that post is palpable. Glad you managed to get out and some lovely butterflies too. :)
David M

Post by David M »

Thursday 14th - an hour spent checking Fritillary numbers on the Common adjacent to where I live.

Numbers haven't exploded yet; I saw only 8 Marsh Frits and 6 Small Pearl Bordered:
1SPBF(1).jpg
PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

Black Hairstreak Larva
Black Hairstreak Larva
In Monks Wood today I found this Black Hairstreak larva just beginning to pupate.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The last of my captive-reared Orange Tips were released today. (Unless some more are hiding in the cage).
As it has turned out, my timing was spot on (out of fridge 1st April) as the wild ones are probably just peaking.

Jack
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Another productive morning up on Cotley Hill. Good numbers of Small Blue along with Adonis and Common. Grizzled and Dingy Skippers also well represented plus Marsh Frits and Brown Argus. A supporting cast of Green Hairstreaks and Small Heaths added to the interest.
♂ Adonis Blue 16th May
♂ Adonis Blue 16th May
Small Blue 16th May
Small Blue 16th May
Small Blue 16th May
Small Blue 16th May
Green Hairstreak 16th May
Green Hairstreak 16th May
Brown Argus 16th May
Brown Argus 16th May
Brown Argus in cop 16th May
Brown Argus in cop 16th May
♂ Common Blue 16th May
♂ Common Blue 16th May
♀ Common Blue 16th May
♀ Common Blue 16th May
Marsh Fritillary 16th May
Marsh Fritillary 16th May
Grizzled Skipper 16th May
Grizzled Skipper 16th May
Dingy Skipper 16th May
Dingy Skipper 16th May
♀ Speckled Wood 16th May
♀ Speckled Wood 16th May
Small Heath 16th May
Small Heath 16th May
Medard

Post by Medard »

Talk and pictures of snakes makes me optimistic that I might seen one too. I have only ever seen one wild snake and that was when I was roughly about 6 years old. This one would be fine if I was currently aged 15 but I am 52.
A few snakes.
Natrix maura is a natricine water snake, eats fish frogs etc, photo Rosnay camping la Brenne France.
Natrix maura is a natricine water snake of the genus Natrix.
Natrix maura is a natricine water snake of the genus Natrix.

The Western whip snake, (Couleuvre verte et jaune), Mézières-en-Brenne, Lac de Bellbouch France, I was privileged to witness these two snakes "dancing" a very rare spectacle indeed, a friendly Belgian who has study snakes and reptiles all his life looked at the photos in astonishment, you are so lucky Jim, where did you see them, I gave him details and he spent three days hoping to see these Snakes , He was lucky, for him it was a lifetimes ambition fulfilled.
Western whip snake (Hierophis viridiflavus)

Common European viper (Vipera berus). Sadly the Viper has a bad reputation, not in my experience they prefer to quietly slither away
Common European viper Vipera berus.

Pair of grass snakes seen at the Cirque de Consolation, Doubs, common in the UK, yes they are capable swimmers.
Grass snake (Natrix natrix)
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Medard wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:34 am
A few snakes.
Natrix maura is a natricine water snake, eats fish frogs etc, photo Rosnay camping la Brenne France.
MAY_0868 Natrix maura is a natricine water snake of the genus Natrix. - Copy.jpg

The Western whip snake, (Couleuvre verte et jaune), Mézières-en-Brenne, Lac de Bellbouch France, I was privileged to witness these two snakes "dancing" a very rare spectacle indeed, a friendly Belgian who has study snakes and reptiles all his life looked at the photos in astonishment, you are so lucky Jim, where did you see them, I gave him details and he spent three days hoping to see these Snakes , He was lucky, for him it was a lifetimes ambition fulfilled.
MAY_0960 Western whip snake (Hierophis viridiflavus) .jpg
MAY_0958 Western whip snake (Hierophis viridiflavus).jpg
MAY_0960 Western whip snake (Hierophis viridiflavus) - Copy.jpg

Common European viper (Vipera berus). Sadly the Viper has a bad reputation, not in my experience they prefer to quietly slither away
JUN_2245 Common European viper Vipera berus..jpg
Common European viper (Vipera berus)..jpg

Pair of grass snakes seen at the Cirque de Consolation, Doubs, common in the UK, yes they are capable swimmers.
MAY_6741 Pair of grass snakes Cirque de Consolation.jpg
JAG_0941 Grass snake (Natrix natrix).jpg
A great selection of snakes here, well done.
Unfortunately, both Adder (Vipera berus) colonies that ive been observing for the last decade or more, have been driven away/dispersed...…….but, the locations were "working forests", an with all that heavy machinery destroying the snakes natural habitats, it was just a matter of time, before both colonies moved on. :(
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

David M wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:57 pm
Testudo Man wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:00 am...Green Hairstreak.
Now that's what I call a hairstreak, TM. Full hindwing line. Very nice.
Cheers David, that was indeed a beauty.

Highlights of a "work lunchtime break" on Friday (for the Brown Argus image) then yesterday (Saturday) was spent searching for Adonis an Small Blues.
Locations - Kent. None of these images have been cropped, cheers Paul.

Brown Argus.
P1100934-copy-to-800.jpg
Adonis Blue male, then a mating pair of Adonis.
P1110429-copy-to-600.jpg
P1110561-copy-to-600.jpg
A lovely coloured female Common Blue.
P1110657-copy-to-600.jpg
Small Blue.
P1110587-copy-to-600.jpg
zigzag_wanderer

Have not strayed any further than the fields behind our pub this week. Might do today if sun pops out.

Yesterday saw Peacock, Comma, Small White, GV White, OT, Speckled Wood, Small Heath, Small Copper, Holly Blue, Common Blue, Brown Argus.

However, behind Small Heath the largest numbers for any species this week were Mother Shipton moths.

Saw another large grass snake in the same field I took these. Either more about, or I'm seeing the same one in various places.
Attachments
Mother Common Blue: May 16
Mother Common Blue: May 16
Mother Shipton: May 11
Mother Shipton: May 16
Mother Shipton: May 16
zigzag_wanderer

Damn my copy/paste skills !

Top one isn't a mother CB....hopefully he'll be a father CB
David M

Post by David M »

zigzag_wanderer wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:21 am Damn my copy/paste skills !

Top one isn't a mother CB....hopefully he'll be a father CB
:lol: Like it, ZZW. I'm sure you can edit your post to delete the offending mother. :)

Return to “Sightings”