What Blue is this?

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Stevie Blunder

What Blue is this?

Post by Stevie Blunder »

Does anyone know what this blue might be? The one on the right. I took this photo on June 11th 2014 at Rodborough Common in Gloucestershire. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_4444 (2014_07_04 20_31_30 UTC).JPG
millerd

Re: What Blue is this?

Post by millerd »

They both look like Small Blues to me. The one on the right looks very fresh and has more than the average amount of blue scaling - which is also catching the light at this angle to the camera.

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Hard to see what else they could be if taken in the UK. They are both remarkably 'blue' for minimus though.
Stevie Blunder

Post by Stevie Blunder »

Thanks for the info. Maybe it's a small Blue ab. I can't find a description to match this image though.
Stevie Blunder

Post by Stevie Blunder »

Here's another p
IMG_4446 (2014_07_04 20_31_30 UTC).JPG
hoto taken at he same time if this helps
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Your butterfly does have a lot of blue scaling, but as others have said, this is because it is a fresh male. The angle brings out the colour too.

Here is a small detail from a picture I took in Switzerland of hundreds of little blues. One of them shows a very similar pattern of blue to yours:

I don't think there's any doubt about the identity of your butterfly.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
millerd

Post by millerd »

Here's a link to another example with a lot of blue scaling (seen at Hutchinson's Bank, Surrey, in May this year):
https://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB/d ... &mode=view
Dave
Stevie Blunder

Post by Stevie Blunder »

Ok thanks guys. I think you've convinced me. It's a Small Blue. The angle of it's wings in the shot made it look different. Thanks again.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

I am in my first butterfly season as I have announced before and a total novice (but enjoying it immensely). I am doing reasonably well in terms of not seeking assistance but I will need help with this one. Probably spectacularly easy for folk !

I assumed that I was photographing a Holly Blue when I took this photo a few days ago. However, when I got home I started wondering if it is actually a Common Blue. I have used Google to try and identify it for sure - but that has only served to get me immensely confused.

I would be really grateful for confirmation from the learned experts on the forum as to which species it is and how that identification can be reached.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Common Blue male. Female Coimmon Blues are very different but I'll leave that for you to enjoy discovering.

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Hi Otep, as Jack says, this is a Common Blue male.

It isn't a Holly Blue for a variety of reasons. First, Common Blue has a much paler ground colour than Holly Blue. Second, habitat is important - Holly Blues generally don't fly in open spaces; they keep close to tree and scrub cover.

Thirdly, this seems to be a fresh butterfly. Holly Blues would generally be worn by this time, having emerged in late March/early April.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Thank you Jack and David. I am really grateful for your help.

Return to “Identification”