One for sorrel, two for joy - favourite Coppers

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Matsukaze

One for sorrel, two for joy - favourite Coppers

Post by Matsukaze »

A place to show your favourites from this beautiful and pugnacious group of butterflies!
Matsukaze

Re: One for sorrel, two for joy - favourite Coppers

Post by Matsukaze »

The familiar and delightful Small Copper. The aberrant male was present on site for around three weeks. My best memory of him is watching him chasing a 'normal' male in tight figure-of-eight loops, silver chasing gold.
Small Copper ab. schmidtii, Bathampton Down, 9 June 2014.
Small Copper ab. schmidtii, Bathampton Down, 9 June 2014.
Braysdown, 30 July 2014.
Braysdown, 30 July 2014.
Small Copper ab. caeruleopunctata, Bobastro, Spain, 6 January 2011.
Small Copper ab. caeruleopunctata, Bobastro, Spain, 6 January 2011.
A garden visitor, 9 August 2014.
A garden visitor, 9 August 2014.
Another garden visitor, 22 July 2018.
Another garden visitor, 22 July 2018.
Purple-shot Copper (alciphron)

This example was photographed in Burgundy in 2012. Although I did not know it at the time, it was thought to be extinct in the region, and it is probably the single most useful butterfly sighting I have ever made. Ironically, I was not even looking for butterflies at the time...
08062012_ 332.JPG
The remainder come from Var in spring 2017, when I was lucky enough to happen upon a site where plenty of alciphron has just emerged. The beautiful golden butterflies were like turbocharged Small Coppers, chasing each other across the garrigue in big figure-of-eight loops.
Dsc09623.jpg
Dsc09624.jpg
Dsc09633.jpg
Dsc09653.jpg
Dsc09671.jpg
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Matsukaze, I am highly envious of your ab.schmidtii! An aberration that I have always wanted to see, but have never been lucky enough to find. Maybe one day...

My European life list only includes 9 species of Copper, so a top ten is out of the question. I have chosen a top 5, very reluctantly leaving out several.

Number 5 Iberian Sooty Copper
Iberian Sooty Copper.JPG
Iberian Sooty Copper unds.JPG
L.bleusei

An absolute delight of a butterfly. Only given specific status fairly recently, and confined to central Spain. Thanks to David for pointing this one out to me in the Montes Universales last year.

Number 4 Grecian Copper
grecian copper (2).jpg
Grecian Copper female.JPG
grecian copper 3.jpg
Grecian Copper unds.jpg
L.ottomana

Not uncommon in Greece, this appropriately-named copper gets my vote due to its lovely dark wing borders, subtle dots, and the underside hindwing, with its stunning deep orange edging.

Number 3 Large Copper
Large Copper male.JPG
large copper female unds.jpg
Large Copper male 1#001.jpg
L.dispar

Highly localised, and a butterfly that I have only seen on a few occasions in France, in the south west, and the east. Just spectacular.

Number 2 Purple-shot Copper
Purple-shot Copper.JPG
Purple-shot Copper male.JPG
purple shot copper female.jpg
Purple-shot Copper male 3.JPG
L.alciphron

This is hard to beat. The purple sheen on top of the copper, when caught at the right angle, is surely one of the finest sights in nature. A real beauty.

Number 1 Violet Copper
Violet Copper female 4.JPG
Violet Copper male 2.JPG
Violet Copper mating pair.JPG
Violet Copper underside.JPG
Violet Copper unds.JPG
L.helle

Unquestionably my favourite Copper, and a strong candidate for favourite European Butterfly (not that I could make that call). Rarity value, the unique feel of the habitat where it flies, character, and the dreamy coloration and iridescence, all in a little butterfly that punches way above its weight. This one had been on my wish list since childhood, a seemingly impossible dream. I finally saw my first few hundred one incredible day back in 2017, in a remote area of wetland in eastern France. Totally unforgettable.
David M

Post by David M »

Agree wholeheartedly with your #1, Pete. This species is simply to die for.

Shame there aren't more of this family in Europe because they are all strikingly beautiful.
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

David M wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:49 pm Agree wholeheartedly with your #1, Pete. This species is simply to die for.

Shame there aren't more of this family in Europe because they are all strikingly beautiful.
Absolutely David - there isn't a single species of copper that isn't worthy of its own pedestal.
Medard

Post by Medard »

Lycaenidae - Coppers.

Take My Breath Away could be a signature tune for the coppers, here are a few that have taken my breath away.

Purple-shot Copper (Lycaena alciphron) I saw my first on a visit to Molines en Champsaur, more's the pity I haven't seen them more frequently.
Purple-shot Copper (Lycaena alciphron)
Scarce Copper (Lycaena virgaureae) a fairly common sight at Molines en Champsaur, being common  doesn't detract from this little dazzler
Scarce Copper (Lycaena virgaureae)

Sooty Copper (Lycaena tityrus) perhaps the plainest of the copper family, quite common and widespread
Sooty Copper (Lycaena tityrus)
Small Copper (Lycaena phlaeas) known to all, my favourite is the one with the blue spots
Small Copper (Lycaena phlaeas)
Purple-edged Copper (Lycaena hippothoe) A truly breath taking copper, I find it impossible to capture the iridescent sheen on the upper wing surfaces with the camera.
Purple-edged Copper (Lycaena hippothoe)

Large Copper (Lycaena dispar) armed with a letter of introduction I went in search of the Large Copper, the reserve's manager viewed me with suspicion but I finally convinced him I was a good guy and so had the privilege of visiting the protected part of the reserve, my luck was  in and immediately found several of these much sought after butterflies.
The Large copper that once flew here in Somerset is now extinct,   so sad.
Large Copper (Lycaena dispar)
Violet Copper (Lycaena helle)

My Coup de cœur, I saw my first Violet Copper on a visit to the Pyrenees, I have no doubts any butterfly enthusiast seeing helle for the first time will live a breathtaking experience when encountering this little gem for the first time, pictures taken in the Doubs.
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/
David M

Post by David M »

Medard wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:38 amMy Coup de cœur, I saw my first Violet Copper on a visit to the Pyrenees, I have no doubts any butterfly enthusiast seeing helle for the first time will live a breathtaking experience when encountering this little gem for the first time...
Agreed. This species is right up there. There's something about copper suffused with violet that is particularly pleasing to the eye.
David M

Post by David M »

Not too many of these to select from, but putting them in a 1-5 order is harder than I anticipated. Here goes:

#5 - Purple Edged Copper

A lovely, deep copper colour although the purple edges are not particularly noticeable in specimens in the Alps where I most regularly see them.

They can crop up too in late May in the Pyrenees and are always a joy to see, even though the undersides are rather bland in comparison to others in this group. However the uppersides are different to those in the Alps, as can be seen by the two males below:
8PurpEdge(1).jpg
8PurpEdgedpair(1).jpg
5PurpleEdged(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

#4 - Purple Shot Copper

Another gorgeous creature. The males reflect violet hues from the sunlight whereas the females just have an irresistible pure copper ground colour, set off with an array of dark spots.

Pleased to say in southern Europe this species seems to crop up in decent numbers almost everywhere:
8Purpshotmaleups(1).jpg
12PurpleShotfemale(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

#3 - Iberian Sooty Copper

I am told that this has now been classed as a separate species in its own right, which is understandable given how much it differs from the nominative tityrus form.

In the French Alps, both male and female Sooty Copper are...well...sooty, but even the male of bleusei has oodles of iridescent copper adorning its forewings, as well as that prominent dentate spike on the hindwing, which make for a very resplendent little butterfly:
6IberianSootyups(1).jpg
6IberianSootyuns(1).jpg
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Medard wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:38 am ...The Large copper that once flew here in Somerset is now extinct,   so sad...
I had hoped to see Large Copper in Somerset on Tuesday - at least, the specimens in the collections at Taunton Museum - the visit now postponed to who-knows-when. The main intention was to view the moth collections and see what was about in the county 150 years ago.
David M

Post by David M »

#2 - Scarce Copper

This is one species I never tire of seeing. Normally, in the French Alps I'll come across half a dozen to three dozen, but in 2017 they had an absolute explosion and were everywhere. I must have seen around 1,000.

It's hard to describe what it is about the shade of copper that makes this butterfly so attractive. I guess it's simply 'Goldilocks', i.e. just right:
8Scarceups(1).jpg
ScarceC.jpg
ScarceC.jpg (43.11 KiB) Viewed 567 times
4.ScarceCopperpair(1).jpg
4.ScarceCopperfemale(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

#1 - Violet Copper

This species seems to be a popular top choice, and for good reason. It's a pretty scarce butterfly, and its habitat is quite unusual. It's also profoundly beautiful, with that violet sheen contrasting beautifully with the copper margins.

I actually prefer the females, although that's perhaps because the males in the Pyrenees where I see this species are not as heavily suffused with violet as those found further north
2VioletCoppmaleuppers(1).jpg
2VioletCoppmaleunders(1).jpg
5Violetfemups(1).jpg

Return to “Overseas”