May 2020

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: May 2020

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:41 amHome bred Orange Tips now emerging thick and fast. Pupae were taken out of the fridge on 1st April and with hiindsight that was a little late - but who at beginning of April coluld have predicted the superb weather?
And it's a very nice individual too, Jack. Almost a lemony tinge to the inner part of the orange patch and the discal spot is on the border rather than just in it.
David M

Post by David M »

Testudo Man wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:00 am...Green Hairstreak.
Now that's what I call a hairstreak, TM. Full hindwing line. Very nice.
David M

Post by David M »

On Wednesday 6th, saw 11 different species at Crymlyn Burrows on the Swansea coast.

Large, Small, Green Veined White, Small Heath, Peacock, Orange Tip, Brimstone, Small Blue, Small Copper, Dingy Skipper plus my first Brown Argus of 2020:
1BrArg4(1).jpg
Last edited by David M on Sat May 09, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Jigsaw puzzle for your lockdown amusement. Times taken to complete will be logged. Reminder - final image:
20-05-09-008-OrangeTip.jpg
https://www.jigsawplanet.com/?rc=play&pid=1bfe5e7401f8

If it appears complete via this link, use rotary arrows bottom left to break into 49 pieces. All are in correct orientation.

Jack
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

David M wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:18 pm On Wednesday 2nd, saw 11 different species at Crymlyn Burrows on the Swansea coast.

Large, Small, Green Veined White, Small Heath, Peacock, Orange Tip, Brimstone, Small Blue, Small Copper, Dingy Skipper plus my first Brown Argus of 2020:

1BrArg4(1).jpg
Notwithstanding your location, why isn't this a Northern Brown Argus; still fairly new to butterflies, (more of a birder). I'm sure you'll explain it's a Brown. With that in mind how do I distinguish the Northern Brown Argus at Bishop Middleham, (Durham) from Brown Argus? Thanks.
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

David M wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:30 pm
MrSp0ck wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:57 pmToday at Hutchinsons Bank an egglaying female Glanville...
Is this species always on the wing this early at that site, MrSp0ck? I'd always read that Glanville Fritillary is normally a late May species, although these last 5 years or so have somewhat thrown that text book out of the window! :?
They were seen on IOW on 2nd May, and Hutch 1st May, Hutchinsons Bank is a very well sheltered and warm site like an oven most hot days, and the bank faces south west making it even warmer. The larvae are waking up earlier now, so producing early butterflies at the end of April, in recent years there have been many end of April records from IOW.

Glanvilles seem to be very good at being in sync whereever they are in the UK. There has been a big hatching at hutchinsons bank today, although there are still 100s of fully grown larvae around.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

The habitat picture is part of my "new local patch " ,which we try to walk ,most Days ,as you can see its an arable field ,which is slowly but surely being eaten up by the ever spreading houses ,and within 18months -two years ,it,,ll all be under concrete ,in the second world war it was a large temporary air field ,the bit you can see is now fallow ,and alive with (mostly ) common arable weeds / plants .
on the whole circuit of the area (about three and a half miles ) ,which also has a small wood ,and fairly large grassy bank ,I,ve worked out that around 20 species should be possible .
Today I added a species which I wasn,t convinced that I would find Brown Argus ,so was over the moon to actually find ,around 15 (give or take )
several laying females + Small Heaths ,numerous "whites ) although no Large! A single male Small Copper ,bravely defending a small brick farm bridge ,against all comers ! and one or two Holly Blues and Peacocks ,I,m now on 16 species for the patch ,with the commoner Browns and Skippers still to come. Regards Allan.W.
Part of the "new local patch "
Part of the "new local patch "
Male Small Copper ,ready to launch himself at intruders !
Male Small Copper ,ready to launch himself at intruders !
Male Brown Argus.
Male Brown Argus.
Female Brown Argus.
Female Brown Argus.
Small Yellow Underwing (moth).
Small Yellow Underwing (moth).
David M

Post by David M »

MrSp0ck wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 5:46 pm..They were seen on IOW on 2nd May, and Hutch 1st May, Hutchinsons Bank is a very well sheltered and warm site like an oven most hot days, and the bank faces south west making it even warmer. The larvae are waking up earlier now, so producing early butterflies at the end of April, in recent years there have been many end of April records from IOW.

Glanvilles seem to be very good at being in sync whereever they are in the UK. There has been a big hatching at hutchinsons bank today, although there are still 100s of fully grown larvae around.
Thanks, Sp0ck. Looks like the calendar has been permanently brought forward for this species, both in its natural enclaves and its inland location.
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

It will be interesting to see if there is a 2nd brood again this year, Hutch was the only place to do so in 2019, but it was only partial, but did breed and the larvae get to hibernation size before the end of October. The 1st egg batch 2020 is in a warmer more sheltered location, so will be interesting to see if this makes it all to 2nd brood. The 2nd egg batch 2020 is where the partial 2nd brood came from in 2019. last years 1st Egg Batch all overwintered, although they woke up in January.

It will be more simple to record this on a map, we are learning so much on their habitat and preferences.

I see Lulworth Skipper is also out in Dorset, used to be a late July early August butterfly.
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Added 4 species this week from the edges of a local golf course in Northolt. a couple of days back 3 Small Heath & yesterday added Brown Argus, 2 Small Copper & 2 Common Blue. Lots of the early species seem to be dwindling now-didn't see any Orange Tips yesterday (they have been numerous) & less Peacocks.
David M

Post by David M »

Common Blues now on the wing with around a dozen and a half seen at Crymlyn Burrows, Swansea on Saturday 9th:
1CBmaleups(1).jpg
1CBfemups2(1).jpg
1CBfemuns(1).jpg
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

This week in the field behind our local - Small White, Green Veined White, OT (still reasonable numbers), Peacock, Brimstone, Speckled Wood, my first Small Coppers and Heaths (latter really up in numbers now), Holly Blue and a single fresh Common Blue yesterday. I lost it and hung around for ages hoping the SHs would flush it out again - no avail. No Brown Argus yet. I also disturbed a large grass snake warming itself.

Lots of SH turf war dog fights. I filmed a pair tussling for over a minute and it'd been going on for at least that long before I sorted me camera out.

Further afield on the Weald - few Red Admirals and Commas to add to that list. My normal weekend route follows a small tributary of the Adur and amazing number of Beautiful Demoiselles about doing their best to make me think there's more butterflies about than there are.
Attachments
GVWs: 4th May
GVWs: 4th May
SC: 6th May
SC: 6th May
SH: 8th May: IN FLIGHT - DOESN'T BEAR ZOOMING
SH: 8th May: IN FLIGHT - DOESN'T BEAR ZOOMING
HB: 9th May: Egg laying by stile
HB: 9th May: Egg laying by stile
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

My wife just told me she had assen a "white" butterflly (my guess, GV White) flying in the garden during a brief sunny spell. Nothing too remakarbly about that other than the fact that the temperature is a mere 4C.

Jack
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

A very busy morning cycling within a 5 mile radius of my house. Although the garden has been quite productive too!

First off, I spent at least 30 minutes on a single (and large) flowering Holly bush and, finally, found a Holly Blue larva! Surprisingly well camouflaged and, equally surprising, I'm pretty sure this has just reached its final instar. I didn't find any larvae on the sprigs where I'd previously found eggs (on a completely different plant).
Holly Blue 4th instar larva
Holly Blue 4th instar larva
Then on to Greenham Common, which is alive with Dingy and Grizzled Skippers (and Common Blues, with the occasional Brown Argus), although Green Hairstreak are yet to make a showing at my favoured patch. Anyway, a good amount of skippers were egg laying, and I managed to get a shot of this Grizzly egg. The Dingies will have to wait for another day ... it was my turn to make Sunday lunch :wink:
Grizzled Skipper egg
Grizzled Skipper egg
Meanwhile, back at home, both Orange-tip and Brimstone larvae are still in residence, despite the Great Tits and Robins (2 separate pairs) we have nesting in the garden! I was somewhat-surprised to find a final instar Orange-tip larva feeding on a Garlic Mustard leaf, even though there are plenty of seed pods available. And, after some concern, Brimstone females seem to be visiting the Alder Buckthorn on a daily basis, and I'll probably sleeve off a few branches to ensure that some larvae make it through to abdulthood!
Orange-tip final instar larva
Orange-tip final instar larva
Brimstone larva
Brimstone larva
Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

Two Red Admirals seen this last couple of days. Yesterday (9th) one actually settled on my bedroom window sill but flew off before I could get an image. Today (10th) one flew across the main road as I was walking along Fairwood Common about a mile away from my house.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Hopefully many of you saw my report of the Wall Brown pupating in the garden back in early April.

The larvae completed the pupation on April 7th and by carefully watching it over the following month I can now report that the butterfly emerged on May 8th, so a pupation period of 31 days, 2 more days than the one from 2018.

For the mega observant amongst you the pupa actually fell off from where it had pupated on the 4th of May so I very carefully glued it back onto its perch, so that explains why it moved a bit on the perch from photo one to two!!

After photographing the pupa at 8.57am on the 8th I processed the photos to make sure they were good enough, as this was the shot I had been hoping to get for many years, and then went to have another look at the pupa, and the butterfly was completing the process of drying its wings. I guess the butterfly emerged just minutes after my last shot of the pupa.

As many of you know, I have found several Wall Brown pupa in the wild but all of them have been predated, so after rearing one at home 2 years ago primarily to get a couple of shots for Pete I decided to repeat the exercise again this year. Maybe in future years I will get similar shots but in the wild.
Wall Brown pupa 3/5/2020 (Day 26).
Wall Brown pupa 3/5/2020 (Day 26).
Wall Brown pupa 6/5/2020 (Day 29).
Wall Brown pupa 6/5/2020 (Day 29).
Wall Brown pupa 7/5/2020 (Day 30).
Wall Brown pupa 7/5/2020 (Day 30).
Wall Brown pupa 8/5/2020 (Day 31 08.57am).
Wall Brown pupa 8/5/2020 (Day 31 08.57am).
Wall Brown female 8/5/2020 (09.55am).
Wall Brown female 8/5/2020 (09.55am).
David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous, Bob. So glad you had a successful conclusion and thanks for sharing those wonderful images.
David M

Post by David M »

saw my first Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary on Saturday 9th on Fairwood Common, adjacent to my home:
1SPBF4(1).jpg
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

It's clear that Marsh Fritillaries don't do social distancing! :D
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
12th May
Dingy Skipper 12th May
Dingy Skipper 12th May
David M

Post by David M »

Very nice, Stevie. They're out round my way too - must get round to posting a few images myself.

Return to “Sightings”