April 2020

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: April 2020

Post by David M »

They're all stunning, Allan, but that last one is off the scale. The best I've ever seen.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thankyou David ,as always very pleased to see these beauties ! I think my visits and chances will be very few this season , so I was very pleased to see what I did , when I did ! A couple more from yesterday ,a Taras on bugle ,and a Scabellata .
Regards Allan.W.
P1130344.JPG
P1130357.JPG
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

Those taras are stupendous, Allan. What causes this aberration? Is it clinal?

I had a rare occurrence yesterday - a male Orange-tip flitted around the garden just as the weather clouded over and it settled briefly for a few seconds. I see a lot of Orange-tips in Provence, when they are even more flighty than in the UK, so seeing this one pause momentarily was one of the few benefits of being in UK lockdown.
Roger
IMG_6948.JPG
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks Roger ,not completely understanding the genetics of "Taras" occurences ,I,ll point you towards Neil Hulme and Michael Blencowes
superb "Butterflies of Sussex " page 44-45 where the The occurrence of Taras individuals is explained very well .
What I have found ,at least at the site I visit ,is that "normal" specimens are very much in the minority
Regards Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

Roger Gibbons wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:24 pm...I see a lot of Orange-tips in Provence, when they are even more flighty than in the UK, so seeing this one pause momentarily was one of the few benefits of being in UK lockdown.
This period must be tricky for you, Roger, given that you'd usually have been in the Var by now.

What would have happened had lockdown occurred after you'd arrived? I suppose you'd have been forced to remain in southern France, something that doesn't sound that unappetising at the moment! 8)
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Just seen your superb Taras Allan! Wow!!! Absolutely gorgeous and so well captured. If it wasn't for this damned lockdown I think I'd be begging you to show me :D
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks Pauline ,glad you liked them ! This small site is right at the edge of my distance by road + walk limit ,so doubt
whether I,ll manage any more visits there myself...……..we,ll have to see !.
Regards Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

First Dingy Skippers encountered in Swansea on Sunday 26th, about half a dozen of them on waste ground near my workplace:
1DSk1(1).jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Very nice David ! Doubt I,ll see any Dingies ,early doors ,keep my fingers crossed for a later individual ! Nice One !
Regards Allan.W.
David M

Post by David M »

Allan.W. wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:20 pmVery nice David ! Doubt I,ll see any Dingies ,early doors ,keep my fingers crossed for a later individual !
Thanks, Allan. My dilemma is with Grizzlies. There is a site for them fairly locally, but it's in a bit of a tourist trap, meaning it's best avoided right now.

They have a decent length of flight period though, so if restrictions are lfted somewhat (which I doubt) I'll make an effort.
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

I had a day off on Monday from WFH. It didn't feel too different from the other days but I'm lucky I can get out into the countryside very quickly for my walk.

Quite a few Dingy Skippers about, and I'll leave you with a spot the blue and green. Although the blue looks like a white with my point and click abilities.
Attachments
Dingy skip: Mon 27th April
Dingy skip: Mon 27th April
Green'n'blue: Mon 27th April
Green'n'blue: Mon 27th April
David M

Post by David M »

Holly Blues are largely white on the undersides so I see what you mean, zig-zag. Good to see you have Dingies close to you. :)
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Thanks David. Yeah, I'm quite lucky in that it doesn't take me long to be on the foothills of Wolstonbury Hill. Just as well as I don't drive !

I've had a life long interest in our feathered friends but have to be honest and say I was only really bitten by the butterfly bug last year after my wife got me a small camera to take out on my weekend walks over the mid Sussex countryside. I'm a bit of a Luddite and don't have a smart phone, so wasn't snapping the interesting things I was seeing. But getting this camera has brought the interest on massively....go out on a walk, snap something, look it up when I get back.

I was always interested in the butterflies I saw as a kid - I remember so many Small Tortoiseshells in our Messingham (north Lincs) garden in the mid 70s for instance - far more than Peacocks or Red Admirals. But it's only last year that I've really got the bug.

They're just amazing creatures.
David M

Post by David M »

zigzag_wanderer wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:54 am..They're just amazing creatures...
Indeed they are!

One last sighting for April was my first Small Heath on 26th. I think he had just emerged as his wings seemed a bit floppy and he was reluctant to fly. Handsome little devil though:
1SmHeath1(1).jpg
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

A welcome birthday surprise for me today - my first Dingy Skipper of the year in central Lincolnshire. A female. They don't come much fresher than this one!
Dingy Skipper female.JPG
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

petesmith wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:41 pm A welcome birthday surprise for me today
Happy Birthday, Pete! Nice shot!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

Very nice! :)

Many happy returns.

Return to “Sightings”