David M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: David M

Post by Padfield »

Just catching up on your diary, David. I don't know how I missed your amazing mating shots - brilliant stuff. You haven't been buying pheromone after-shave online again, have you?

Tragic to read of the arson attacks. Fortunately, the damage caused by burning is often more superficial (literally) than you might think. The heat drives upwards and the ground layer, with valuable roots, seeds and insect stages, may escape the worst and retain a lot of life, ready to spring back with a little time, water and sun. Let's hope the damage your photo records is superficial.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Guy. Yes, those parts of the Common will quickly recover; in fact, the areas that burned last year look as though they were never affected. The bracken and the grasses regrow and all that's left are the charred remnants of gorse bushes and brambles.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, we've had the same trouble here with Moor land fires, this happened a couple of weeks ago when we were all suppose to be in shut down, Winter Hill at Rivington and also the Darwin Moors were set a light, the cause at one point was people Bar-ab-cuing . since then some one purposely set the moor on fire again. most of the land is rich in Peat which really burns and the Firemen had real trouble controlling it. Some people are really stupid.Goldie :roll:
David M

Post by David M »

Ah yes, Goldie. Winter Hill. Know it well from my childhood.

Sad that this appears to be a leisure activity for some. Part of Kilvey Hill went up in smoke last night. I hope it didn't burn my Wall Brown hotspot. :(

Tuesday 21st April 2020 - Green Hairstreaks

Had an hour and a half's lunch break and drove over to the part of Fairwood Common that has recently been burned to have a more thorough check of the damage. Thankfully, only a 300m or so tranche has been affected, and in the lower, damper part the habitat is still intact.

That is a good thing because I saw my first AND second Green Hairstreaks of the year at the margins of this area:
1GHhabitat(1).jpg
The first individual was too flighty to photograph, but I spotted this one after he intercepted a passing Peacock and he very conveniently chose to bask on a leaf for a few minutes:
1GH1(1).jpg
1GH2(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Wednesday 22nd April 2020 - Wall Browns on Kilvey Hill

An early morning visit to the supermarket saw me in the vicinity of Kilvey Hill, which overlooks Swansea Bay.

Having learned of grass fires on the hill the day before, I was eager to go up and check how much damage had been done. Luckily, the prime Wall Brown spot had been untouched and within 5 minutes of sitting down on the ruins of the old windmill at the top of the hill, I noticed one basking about 10 yards away from me.

There are never many up here, but this old stonework attracts them like a magnet:
1Habitat(1).jpg
There were two males up there, and every time one settled to bask, it would soon be off in pursuit of the other. At one point the pair of them disappeared for over 5 minutes in what must have been an almighty joust, but the victor returned to his patch and went back on patrol:
1WB2(1).jpg
Even by 10am, he would close his wings within 5 seconds of landing, although I was able to make a few close approaches whilst he was like this:
1WBuns(1).jpg
He seemed particularly keen on settling beside some fragments of what looked to be a beer bottle. Whether he could smell or taste something interesting I don't know:
1WB3(1).jpg
1WBuns2(1).jpg
I wanted an upperside image, but I've tried 'shading' Wall Browns before and it never works. However, just as I was about to give up, I slowly cast my shadow over him after he'd been settled for half a minute, and in no time at all he opened his wings:
1WB5(1).jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well, that's one species I definitely won't be seeing this year! Nice shots - well done :)
David M

Post by David M »

Shame they're largely no longer inland, Pauline. I guess you'll see more species that I won't be able to by the end of the year....unless, of course, we get a reprieve!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, your Wall Brown brings back memories of me taking shots of them with a crutch under one arm :lol: Didn't think I'd be stuck in another year :roll:
So glad for you that the Wall's didn't suffer. Love the Green Hair Streak shots , I think the HairStreaks are lovely little Butterflies
I might miss them this year, hope not!!! Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Nice to see the Wall Browns David :mrgreen: :D

I am aware of a few inland colonies further afield around the West Midlands but they have not been seen in Warwickshire for some years now. One I am likely to miss unless restrictions ease later in the year in time for the second brood.

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie - your comment regarding this being your second successive spring housebound strikes a chord. Hopefully this episode will be quicker to 'heal' than your last one!

Neil - yes, for those who live well inland Wall Brown is not an easy species to see. To think 40 years ago you could find them all over the place!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great to see your Green Hairstreak and Wall Brown.
I've yet to see the former, and the latter is out of bounds.

Great shots,
Keep well,
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:38 pm Great to see your Green Hairstreak and Wall Brown.
The latter is double brooded, Trevor, so hope is not yet lost. 8)
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

David M wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:05 pm
trevor wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:38 pm Great to see your Green Hairstreak and Wall Brown.
The latter is double brooded, Trevor, so hope is not yet lost. 8)
Triple brooded where Trevor roams :wink:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:29 pm..Triple brooded where Trevor roams
Yes, very probably, Paul.

Thursday 23rd April 2020 - Small Copper...

One species missing from my inventory that I would expect in late April was Small Copper.

So, I visited the site that is the most reliable for this species in my area, Crymlyn Burrows, and duly found two. Here's a shot of the general habitat:
1Crymlyn(1).jpg
I found my first in an area that is always a hotspot:
1SmCopp1(1).jpg
Walking back, I was not surprised to find a second in this area:
1Habitat(1).jpg
It was quite warm, so at first it was settling with wings closed:
1SmCopp2uns(1).jpg
A slightly open winged view proved that it was a partial caeroleopunctata:
1SmCopp2(1).jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Seeing those Coppers means Spring is well and truly here, David. :) I just brought up the map to try and put your photos into context - in the first shot of the view, is the sea to the left and is that Kilvey Hill (as mentioned in your earlier posts) in the distance?

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Correct, Dave. The sea is approx 500m to the left and Kilvey Hill is about 4 miles away in the distance. :)
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Glad your Wall spot survived the fire David.

I fear a little for the south Essex colonies, they had just started to emerge for the third generation, late September, when the weather collapsed. Not sure if they managed to lay any eggs? We will find out in due course...
kevling

Post by kevling »

David,

Very enjoyable April diary. I love the mating Holly Blues. One species I haven't seen in cop yet. Well done on your Wall Browns too. Do you normally see them this early in the year David. I usually get me first encounters at the end of May on the Anglesey coast (Sadly not this year as our travel is curtailed along with everyone else).

Kind Regards
Kev
David M

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:03 am Glad your Wall spot survived the fire David.

I fear a little for the south Essex colonies, they had just started to emerge for the third generation, late September, when the weather collapsed. Not sure if they managed to lay any eggs? We will find out in due course...
Thanks, Mark. We don't have quite the same temperature pressure 'out west', but even so Wall Browns are quite localised and generally coastal here. One wonders how many more years of climate warming it will take for this species to break through its developmental trap and become triple brooded in these isles (or, at least, in the warmest places therein).
David M

Post by David M »

kevling wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:21 pm...Well done on your Wall Browns too. Do you normally see them this early in the year David. I usually get me first encounters at the end of May on the Anglesey coast (Sadly not this year as our travel is curtailed along with everyone else).
22nd April is the earliest I've ever seen them in the UK, Kev. I would usually expect them by the end of the first week in May round here, but as you know, since lockdown on 24 March practically every day has been sunny and warm so the life cycle has been accelerated somewhat.

Return to “Personal Diaries”