Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Pauline

Post by bugboy »

Mixed feelings about seeing your Dukes :? . I doubt I'll be seeing them myself this year but at least I see a few through yours and possible some others diaries (although if Wurzel sees any we won't get to see them until September :lol: )
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, lovely shots of the Dukes, your so lucky living so close to Noar Hill, you'll have to keep the posts coming so we can all share with you what we're missing, it'll cheer us all up, ( or depress us :lol: )
I think those Tulips are well named and I'll look out for some next year for the Garden :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely Dukes, Pauline. I'm really glad you've got to see them. This is one species I may miss out on unless restrictions are lifted somewhat in 3 weeks' time, so nice to know I can observe them vicariously through your diary. :mrgreen:
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

If it's any little consolation Paul I took 3 ticks off me after that visit - after they'd had a good feed off me :twisted:

Thanks Goldie - I swear there are more butterflies visiting your garden than I saw on my walk today. Mind you, I was looking for something entirely different.

Thanks David - I was really glad too after my awful start to the year. Could have turned out so very different.

I was fascinated by those Sand Lizards and had to go back for another look. 5 mins after arriving and standing quietly a female scurried past, possibly even more difficult to photograph than the males. There were several much smaller lizards scurrying about - way too fast to get any shots. I assume they are a different species as I gather it is too early for youngsters:
P1290969ad.jpg
Back home I have a delinquent squirrel. I have many squirrels in the garden but have never known one to be so destructive. I had bought an expensive Acer as they seem to do well in the garden and this was an attractive new variety. He has bitten off every branch leaving just a few inches protruding from the soil. He has now moved on to my mature Acers and is systematically chewing off the new leaves. He then does somersaults around the garden, bouncing off the sheds and rolling over and over on the lawn. I'm thinking of having a little chew on those branches myself to see if they give me as much energy :lol: :
P1290480ad.jpg
P1290481ad.jpg
I have also seen what I believe to be a Bee Fly in the garden. Never seen these here before:
P1290506ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Love the shot of the Bee-fly Pauline - looks like its the Greater judging by the almost black wing - they're having a good year :D

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That lizard is superbly camouflaged, Pauline. I had to expand the image to see it.

As for your demented squirrel, how about coating your buds with some hot chilli powder? :)
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I'd a good laugh Pauline when you said you should try chewing the branches for energy, I could just picture you rolling on the ground with the Squirrel . :lol: Please send me a branch :lol: Goldie :D
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - I didn't even know there was more than one type :oops:

Yes, amazing camouflage David with speed to match - doesn't make for easy photography. The rogue squirrel has moved onto my delphiniums and has bitten them all off at the base :( . The moles are now digging up my lawn faster than I can fill in the holes! I spent years attracting wildlife to the garden so I fear I am a victim of my own success!

I can send you loads of branches Goldie - they're scattered all over the lawn!!!

It was very windy today on my walk, even in the sheltered areas. For the most part it kept the butterflies low down with a reluctance to open their wings but I did see my first Dingy of the season:
P1290999ad.jpg
P1300004ad.jpg
I include this shot of the Holly Blue only because it is the first shot I have managed this season - not a patch on those posted recently by Dave and David:
P1290982ad.jpg
Lots of Dukes around today but the only shot I took was this one nectaring on Dandelion despite the masses of Cowslips - never seen that before. Perhaps because it was that little bit lower down out of the wind?
P1300006ad.jpg
As I was leaving I watched a very vibrant Red Admiral egg-laying. I took a few shots:
P1300018ad.jpg
It was only when I looked at the photos that I realised there is another egg on an adjacent leaf. Not sure what it might be. Comma?
P1300011ad.jpg
trevor

Post by trevor »

Well done with those first sightings of the Dingy and Duke, Pauline. :mrgreen:
The Duke in particular seems very early, but very welcome.
I may well miss seeing those two species this year, especially the Dukes,
the nearest colony is a good 40 miles from here.

Some lovely shots recently.

Stay safe and well,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Duke Pauline :D :mrgreen: Like Trevor that could be one that I miss as the Woodland ones at Bentley can be pretty scarce so I will miss the bucket loads at Noar :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Still I can always see your images, I think that 2020 will be the year of voyeuristic butterflying :D :lol:

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Nice images of the the Dingy and the Dukes, Pauline. As others have said, your pictures may be the only ones coming on here this year, so congratulations from me too.

Keep ‘em coming!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely to hear from you Mark. Hope you are keeping well and safe. Thank you for your generous comment. I am fairly confident that before too long there will be some splendid images of Dukes posted on this site (no pressure M if you are reading this :wink: :lol: ).

Cheers Wurzel - hopefully it won't be too long before the restrictions are relaxed and Dukes may still be around.

Thank you Trevor although I have to disagree slightly with your comment about the Dukes being early. I have reviewed my records over the last few years (and I doubt that they were the earliest sightings recorded, but here is what I found with accompanying 'proof':

2016 - 14 April:
P1770350bd.jpg
2017 - 10 April:
P1980541ad.jpg
2018 - 20 April

2019 - 1 April then several around by 18 April:
P1160046ad.jpg
2020 - my first sighting was 16 April but they looked like they'd been out for a few days.

When I have some time I really should do a spreadsheet over the last 10 years or so.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Like many others I am finding things close to home that I never knew to be there. Today I saw my first Green Hairstreak of the season:
P1300057ad.jpg
P1300057bd.jpg
Lots of Green Longhorn moths about (also known as 'fairy' moths):
P1300026ad.jpg
At home the demented squirrel has started on my Busy Lizzies and is digging up and eating my crocus bulbs!!!! He is kinda cute tho' :)
P1300020ad.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

A big :mrgreen: for the Green Hairstreaks, Pauline. Last year someone showed me a photo of one taken on my local patch, but I have yet to track them down! Well done for finding one not too far away. They are probably more common than we realise.

The squirrel is indeed a bit cute... The trouble is that at this time of year if he can't find his buried goodies from last autumn there aren't any new ones to feast on, so the little chap is no doubt starving. Spring squirrels tend to be very scrawny. However, he probably can't believe his luck finding your garden full of succulent new growth to munch!

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Greenstreak Pauline :D The Squirrel is kinda cute looking but also looks very guilty at the same time - caught red-pawed :D

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Dukes, Dingies and Green Hairstreaks!

You're practically keeping us going with all the current newbies, Pauline. Whilst you're doing it, that squirrel is running rampant in your unattended garden! :lol:
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, before I saw your Squirrel, I saw your Squirrel looking pot with all the flowers in, maybe the Squirrel thinks it's found a mate :lol: :lol:
I love your recent shots, I think the first one of the Green Hair Streak is fab, :D and well done with the Dingy you've made it look good, my shots are usually Dingy . :D Keep them coming :D Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Good to see your Dukes, Dingy and Green Hairstreak Pauline, three species that I will probably miss this year.

Cracking photos, particularly the GH :mrgreen: :D

Loving the demented Squirrel :lol:

Cheers,

Neil.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Neil. I have to say that it is more of a thrill than usual even to see the more common species and is a reminder not to take anything for granted. :)

There are lots of squirrels in the garden Goldie and at certain times of the year mating is a regular occurrence among the shrubbery :shock: . Just hope he doesn't pass on his destructive tendencies!

Cheers Wurzel - it was good to see it so close to home.

Thank you Dave. I can assure you that there are no scrawny squirrels in my garden :) . I get through 5 sacks of peanuts (100kg) each month and there is always a plentiful supple for them. The peanut plants that spring up everywhere later in the year are quite attractive. So you see, he has no excuse and has every right to look guilty :lol:

Thank you David. I really should spend more time in the garden. It wasn't just the squirrel that was running rampant. I have been checking my little sprig of Alder Buckthorn daily and I can only conclude that it was whilst I was with the Green Hairstreak down the lane that the Brimstone finally delivered. I was both excited and elated to find 5 eggs on this little plant:
P1300062ad.jpg
P1300068ad.jpg
P1300071ad.jpg
A little later whilst dead-heading primulas I discovered this moth larva. I'm sure I've seen them here before but can't for the life of me remember what it is. Old Lady?
P1300080ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Numbers of Dukes are building nicely at Noar Hill with a fair few fresh females emerging. Not surprising therefore that a pairing seen in a very short time:
P1300195ad.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”