BBC Filming Opportunities (Where they were invited).

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
PhilBJohnson

BBC Filming Opportunities (Where they were invited).

Post by PhilBJohnson »

April 14th 2020.
It was thought that in these exceptional times, there were some superb opportunities to employ people filming wildlife in our Woods and Forests, when they were left, less disturbed from visitors. Government advice was to allow essential travel to place of work.

Forestry England Membership:

"Q: Are members still able to visit during the COVID-19 pandemic?

A: The most important thing for Forestry England is to keep you, the public, our staff and volunteers safe. The government has said everyone must stay at home apart from essential travel. Therefore our forest facilities such as car parks, cafes and bike hire are closed until further notice and regretfully we ask you not visit. Please remember, your membership is still supporting your local forest, and helps us to care for the land, trees and wildlife in them, so thank you for your support during this extraordinary time."

Reference: forestryengland.uk
Updated March 25th 2020
Last edited by PhilBJohnson on Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind Regards,
CallumMac

Re: BBC Filming Opportunities (Where they are invited).

Post by CallumMac »

PhilBJohnson wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:51 am Government advice was to allow essential travel to place of work.
To be honest, I think you've slightly misinterpreted the guidance here. A better way to put it would be to allow "travel to place of essential work". Sadly, however you spin it and whatever your priorities, I can't see wildlife photographers and filmographers being classed as key workers at the moment.

However, I have seen a number of nature reserves and private citizens making good use of trail cameras at the moment. These can be placed and recovered during exercise walks with reasonable legitimacy. They are, of course, fairly useless for butterflies!
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

“Where there was a Work Permit, there was a Way”
“Practice makes better practice”
#Best Practice
Last edited by PhilBJohnson on Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kind Regards,
David M

Post by David M »

All wildlife bodies seem to have adopted a similar position. For instance, Butterfly Conservation has advised against performing transects in the current lockdown.
PhilBJohnson

Re: BBC Filming Opportunities (Where they were invited).

Post by PhilBJohnson »

In theory, I thought that, as landowners, Butterfly Conservation could have employed a person (or people) to film on their own nature reserve, and then, for those person or persons employed, it would have become their essential place of “bread winning” work.
Kind Regards,
David M

Post by David M »

It's not so much 'essential place' as 'essential work', Phil.

Right now, unless you are involved in critical work then you are meant to be staying at home. Filming wildlife, as far as the government is concerned, does not fall into the 'critical' category.
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

David M wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:38 pm It's not so much 'essential place' as 'essential work', Phil.
Exactly - and "essential" refers to the national need rather than the individual's. Can the country function without NHS workers, emergency services, supermarkets, posties, etc.? No, so they're essential. Can the country function without new footage of butterflies shot in 2020? It remains to be seen. :wink:

By contrast, no individual's work is considered essential for the reason of being bread-winning, because the government will replace 80% of the wages of furloughed employees or 80% of the earnings of the self-employed (in theory - though my self-employed Dad says there's no evidence of that money arriving yet).
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

"It was nice to read about the BBC filming Purple Emperor butterflies at Knepp this year in 2020.
I hoped that the edited version was more scientific and educational, possibly not just starring Matthew Oates and Neil Hulme (as educated as they were). :) :)
I had some Pieridae species to iPhone at home and allotment this year.
I was looking forward to a day when going out to work with my Wife, wasn't seen as:
"going the wrong way."
Kind Regards,

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”