Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Goldie M wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:02 pm fantastic shots Neil, a Small White and an Orange tip :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm really envious now :D Goldie :D
Thanks Goldie, hopefully you will be seeing some yourself by the end of the week.
Old Wolf wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:04 pm Hello Neil, more fabulous shots, I am really quite envious of all the 'action' in your area :D

The Oak Beauty really lives up to its name and I said it before but the butterfly on Blackthorn combo really is spectacular :mrgreen:
Thanks Old Wolf. I am fortunate in that little spot is just five minutes walk from my house so qualifies for my daily exercise walk.

Tuesday 31st March.

After a cold and rather blustery weekend, Monday brought more of the same but with some added rain showers. Today (Tuesday) was a bit better in as much as the wind had dropped again and some sunny spells helped the temperature just about creep up to around 12 degrees. Having said that, when the sun was hidden behind one of the large grey clouds that kept coming over, the temperature dropped back into single figures.

Apart from a few short forays into the garden, I had spent most of the past couple of days inside and so felt in need of a walk to stretch my legs so once again I headed to the spot by my local park

I figured the conditions were a bit borderline for seeing butterflies but checked out the sheltered corners and was pleased to find couple of Small Tortoiseshells. The grass was still quite wet from yesterdays rain and the large stand of blackthorn was looking a bit bedraggled now.
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 31.03.2020
I did my usual circuit and reckon I ended up seeing 5 or 6 Small Tortoiseshells and singles of Comma and Peacock, more than I expected given the cool conditions. The Comma and Peacock didn't hang around but I managed to grab a few shots of the Tortoiseshells although they tended to settle low down in the vegetation today.
Not a bad little session in the end and one that I wasn't really expecting to have given the weather forecast for today.

Bye for now,

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

More lovely Small Torts, Neil. Despite the sunshine today, the air was very cold.
I exercised at my usual spot and saw absolutely nothing, even in more sheltered areas.

The weekend is looking warmer!.

Stay well,
Trevor.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Those Tortoiseshells certainly are robust up your way, Neil. :) :mrgreen: Like with Trevor, nothing braved the chilly breeze and intermittent sunshine round my way. However, the coming weekend looks promising... :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Small Torts Neil :D I too ignored the weather forecast and risked it on the 31st and like you I was glad that I did as out of the icy wind and when the sun came out from the clouds it got nice and warm and the butterflies came out - sometimes you just have to go for it :D . Fingers crossed that the weekend lives up to the expectations - I wonder if I can transfer my exercise allowance from today, tomorrow and Friday to the weekend? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Well done with the Butterflies Neil, nothing ventured into my Garden for the last few days, roll on Week-End, let's hope the forecast is right Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

I'm loving your Tortoiseshells right now, Neil. In fact, I've never been so eager to see your first garden Speckled Woods.

Surely this is now only a matter of time. Covid-19 is life-threatening to we humans but of no consequence to nature. My hope is that 2020 will see a resurgence within the natural world that we will all be able to better appreciate in the months/years ahead.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Lovely pristine looking Tortoiseshells Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for all the comments Trevor, Dave, Wurzel, Goldie, David and Otep.

Still no Specklies here yet, fingers crossed for this weekend.

In the meantime...more Small Tortoiseshells;

Friday 3rd April.

Since Monday, it has been a cold and dreary week here with a thick grey blanket of cloud most days along with a cold wind from the north. Yesterday, the wind started to shift to come more from the west which meant that it didn't feel so cold. This morning started off with some nice sunny spells which started to cheer things up a bit and by late morning was feeling fairly pleasant. Since I have been working at home, I have been sticking to roughly the same hours that I would normally do and this meant that I finished at midday today for the week.

After grabbing a bit of lunch I decided to have another walk down to my local spot by the park as I have yet to find anywhere else within close walking distance. Having said that, my usual local spots , all of which are a little further way and usually entail a 10 minute drive, would only produce the same species at this time of year anyway.

With a bit more time in hand this afternoon, I spent a little longer there today, covering the same areas but wandering around more slowly and I reckon I saw at least a dozen Small Tortoiseshells. The stand of blackthorn that many were frequenting last week is now well past it's best but a couple could still be found on some of the remaining blossom.
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 03.04.2020
The same one as above from a different angle.
The same one as above from a different angle.
There is another large stand of blackthorn a bit further along that is in a more exposed position and which is only just starting to flower. Wandering over to this, I spotted three Small Tortoiseshells on the new blossom, only one of which was low enough to get a shot.
Other Small Tortoiseshells were basking around various bramble patches and nettle beds, where I would usually put them up on my approach. Some of these only glided a few yards before settling again which enabled me to sneak up to gab some photos.
Curiously, I did not see any Commas or Peacocks today and during the hour or so that I wandered around I only saw the Small Tortoiseshells.

Amongst the assorted bird song to be heard, I also heard my first Chiffchaff of the year.

Back home later in the afternoon, I was pottering about in the garden when a couple of Commas flew in together and after a bit of an airborne scuffle one settled on the lawn for a bit before taking to the air again and disappearing next door.
Comma - Coverdale 03.04.2020
Comma - Coverdale 03.04.2020
A bit later still, the shadows were lengthening across the garden when a Peacock dropped in to take advantage of one of the few remaining sunny spots.
Peacock - Coverdale 03.04.2020
Peacock - Coverdale 03.04.2020
I found it interesting, that after only seeing Small Tortoiseshells earlier today on my walk, that the two species that I didn't see then would be the two that turned up later in the garden.
Also, although I have seen plenty of Small Tortoiseshells at my local spot, I have not yet had one in the garden this year despite being only a few minutes walk away.

Anyway, it looks like a nice weekend ahead, I must spend some time on google earth to see if I can find any other local spots within reasonable walking distance.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A lovely collection Neil :D I was at work today and so didn't get out, I feel quite unfit now :wink: Interesting observation of the species distribution Neil - could it be something to do with the type of vegetation at the different sites? Or could it be that Small Torts I quite/more territorial, I've noticed that Peacocks do seem to wander more? :? Either way you've highlighted a couple of positives of this Lockdown - appreciating the local and finding even more local spots 8)

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Beautiful Small Torts, all look so fresh.
Your count today, is more than I saw locally last year.

Great stuff, keep well,
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

Those Tortoiseshells are positively radiant, Neil, especially the first two.

Good to know there are decent numbers around your patch right now. :)
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil, we'd a rubbish weather week-end here, the clouds you described in your post never really left us, this morning just one hour of Sun. I think when we do have better weather it will be mostly Small Torts and Peacocks venturing into the garden, the Small Tort's seem to be having a good year a round here. It's always a pleasure to see them :D Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks again for all the comments Wurzel, Trevor, David and Goldie :D

Sunday 5th April.

Morning.

Saturday had been a cloudy day here and the skies didn't clear until late afternoon and then remained clear resulting in a cold night. Sunday dawned with a fresh crisp morning but despite the forecast for clear sunny skies all day, a layer of cloud soon moved in. From mid morning onwards, the only sun we saw was occasional glimpses of hazy sunshine when the cloud thinned a bit. At least the wind was warmer, if a bit blustery.

During the morning I spent some time pottering around in the garden and saw a Peacock coming back and forth. Looking more closely, I noticed that what I had originally taken for a single butterfly was in fact two different examples flying in at different times, with the one looking distinctly more worn than the other.
Peacock #1 - Coverdale 05.04.2020
Peacock #1 - Coverdale 05.04.2020
Peacock #2 - Coverdale 05.04.2020
Peacock #2 - Coverdale 05.04.2020
Taking a few photos and looking more closely at the better condition one also proved that one to be two different individuals, identified as such by comparing the 'faces' in the blue eye-spots on the hindwings.
Peacock #3 - Coverdale 05.04.2020
Peacock #3 - Coverdale 05.04.2020
This gave me three different Peacocks taking turns to fly in and out of the garden.

Later in the morning I also saw a male Brimstone come round a few times on his circuit without stopping.

Afternoon.

I had hoped that the cloud would dissipate for the afternoon but if anything it thickened up even more, although there were still times when it thinned a bit and it felt reasonably warm, if not the clear sunny day that the forecast had promised.

I decided to venture a bit further for my exercise walk today and set off for Sheldon Country Park. I can reach the start of here in a brisk 15 minute walk from my house but it consists of a long thin area that extends between housing estates for some way and loops past the end of the runway at Birmingham Airport and to walk the length of it would take a fair bit longer.
I have visited this area in the past, but not for a couple of years now as it is usually too busy for my liking with numerous dog walkers and occasional gangs of teenagers lurking about. As it turned out, although there were indeed a fair few people about, most were staying on the main paths whereas I skirted around the outer edges where there are assorted areas of brambles, nettle beds and longer grass.

Small Tortoiseshells were the most numerous butterfly seen and during the hour or so that it took me to walk as far as the end of the airport runway I counted 36. Along some sections they would fly up every few yards and a couple of nettle beds produced particular concentrations with one notable spot having a dozen or so flitting about in one small area.
Small Tortoiseshell - Sheldon Country Park 05.04.2020

Despite the persistent cloud, it had become fairly warm and the Tortoiseshells were quite active with lots of territorial sparring and chasing taking place along with attempted courtship activity.
Small Tortoiseshells - Sheldon Country Park 05.04.2020
Peacocks were almost as numerous with a minimum count of 25, with these being spread out more evenly with no particular 'hotspots'.
Peacock - Sheldon Country Park 05.04.2020
Coming in at third place were Commas with just 5 seen.
Comma - Sheldon Country Park 05.04.2020
On any other day this would have been a decent count but they just couldn't match the numbers of Small Tortoiseshells and Peacocks today. In fact it has been some years since I have seen the kind of numbers of these two species that I saw today, particularly the Small Tortoiseshells.

I did keep a good look out for Orange-tips, Holly Blues or Speckled Wood but none of these put in an appearance today. Never mind, they won't be long now and the numbers of Small Tortoiseshells and Peacocks made it a memorable walk.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Thirty six Small Torts is a cracking tally Neil - I thought I was doing well getting into the 20's during their peak last year! :shock: 8) :mrgreen: Your Peacock number three is a diopthalmica ab isn't it? :? :mrgreen:

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:08 pm...Small Tortoiseshells were the most numerous butterfly seen and during the hour or so that it took me to walk as far as the end of the airport runway I counted 36. Along some sections they would fly up every few yards and a couple of nettle beds produced particular concentrations with one notable spot having a dozen or so flitting about in one small area....

...Peacocks were almost as numerous with a minimum count of 25, with these being spread out more evenly with no particular 'hotspots'.
Those are very encouraging numbers, Neil. Even though my area is usually good for Small Tortoiseshells I doubt if I could find concentrations like that.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

WoW! Neil, some lovely shots there, the Peacocks colours really stand out :D Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:56 pm Thirty six Small Torts is a cracking tally Neil - I thought I was doing well getting into the 20's during their peak last year! :shock: 8) :mrgreen
Wurzel
Cheers Wurzel, that was the most I have seen on one day for a good few years now.
Wurzel wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:56 pm ... Your Peacock number three is a diopthalmica ab isn't it? :? :mrgreen:
Wurzel
Possibly Wurzel, although I must admit that this is one of those 'abs' that I see often enough to consider as within normal variation.
David M wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:49 am Those are very encouraging numbers, Neil. Even though my area is usually good for Small Tortoiseshells I doubt if I could find concentrations like that.
From the reports I am seeing it seems to be a very good spring for Small Tortoiseshells around the midlands in general. Very encouraging indeed.
Goldie M wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:10 pm WoW! Neil, some lovely shots there, the Peacocks colours really stand out :D Goldie :D
Thanks Goldie, yes ,there are some lovely Peacocks around.

Tuesday 7th April.

We had some rain here during the night on Sunday and a further couple of showers on Monday morning so I didn't bother with my lunchtime walk and although the afternoon cleared up a bit there was still a cool feel to the breeze.

A clear night led to a bit of a frost this morning (Tuesday) but once the sun gained some height in the clear blue skies it turned into a pleasantly warm day.
I am still working from home and took my lunchtime exercise walk once again to my local park where I saw more of the same as last week, the only difference being that Peacocks and Commas were back after being mysteriously absent on my last visit here.
Numbers today were Small Tortoiseshell (11), Peacock (8) and Comma (3).
Peacock - Wagon Lane 07.04.2020
Peacock - Wagon Lane 07.04.2020
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 07.04.2020
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 07.04.2020
Comma - Wagon Lane 07.04.2020
Comma - Wagon Lane 07.04.2020
No Orange-tips, Holly Blues or Speckled Wood seen today but I did spot a single female Small White.
Small White - Wagon Lane 07.04.2020
Small White - Wagon Lane 07.04.2020
Later in the afternoon, I was having coffee break in the garden and was joined by a Peacock and Comma.
Peacock - Coverdale 07.04.2020
Peacock - Coverdale 07.04.2020
Comma - Coverdale 07.04.2020
Comma - Coverdale 07.04.2020
Whilst working in the back room I also spotted an unidentified white and my first Holly Blue of the year passing through.

A was also pleased with this photo I took of a Dunnock with the pick background provided by a large Magnolia that is in full flower in a neighbours garden.
Dunnock - Coverdale 07.04.2020
Dunnock - Coverdale 07.04.2020

Wednesday 8th April.

More of the same today on my exercise walk to the same spot with Small Tortoiseshells and Peacocks in similar numbers, in fact probably most of the same butterflies as yesterday.
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 08.04.2020
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 08.04.2020
The Peacock below is another of those possible ab. diopthalmica
Peacock - Wagon Lane 08.04.2020
Peacock - Wagon Lane 08.04.2020
I didn't see any Commas today but did see a patrolling male Orange-tip and an unidentified white that likewise didn't stop.

A number of Chiffchaffs were making themselves heard amongst the rest of the birdsong and I managed to get close enough for a couple of shots of one.
Chiffchaff - Wagon Lane 08.04.2020
Chiffchaff - Wagon Lane 08.04.2020
The warmest afternoon of the week so far saw me popping into the garden a few times (to rest my eyes from the computer screen of course) during which I saw a couple of Peacocks and a single Comma. A passing male Orange-tip was the first seen in the garden this year and although I saw him come round a couple of times he was in constant motion so no chances for a photo.

I have been keeping a close eye on the garden lately, looking out for my first garden Speckled Wood this year and was finally rewarded with a fresh male this afternoon. He fluttered about a bit and settled a couple of times, albeit amongst some dead bramble stems where it was tricky to get a photo. Despite looking nice and fresh I noticed that he had already lost the tip of one antenna.

Edit; Not the best angle (that's my excuse) but looking again, that is a female.
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 08.04.2020
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 08.04.2020
At one point I was sitting quietly just chilling for a few minutes when I got the feeling that I was being watched...
Someone's watching me.
Someone's watching me.
I have now been informed that as of Tomorrow (Thursday 9th) our team is going on furlough from work with this being reviewed on April 29th. Looking at the positive side of this, it will give me more flexibility for my daily exercise walk instead of being restricted to between 12.00 – 1.00pm as was the arrangement while working from home.

Hope everyone is well and keeping safe.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Neil although I am now exceedingly envious of your garden (or anyone with a garden) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Good to see the Small Torts still holding their own and in your most recent post a touch of normality - a Specklie in a Neil Freeman PD post 8)

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shot of the fox Neil and the birds, I had two or three Gold Finch enjoying themselves in the garden today, it's great watching them and two Robins were having a territory dispute :D lovely shots of the Butterflies as well. Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Always good to see Speckled Woods return to your garden, Neil. Spring isn't the same without them. :)

Things look to be moving now round your way with Holly Blues, Orange Tips and Whites on the wing.

I'm sorry to hear you're being furloughed. Hopefully it won't be for long and, as you say, you have a little more flexibility regarding when you can get out on your daily exercise walk.

Return to “Personal Diaries”