Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by bugboy »

Some lovely tortoiseshells there :mrgreen: The way things are going down here in London I'm not sure how many of them I'll be seeing this season and that's nothing to do with their scarcity down here :?
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the comments Trevor, Wurzel and Bugboy :D
It is good to see the numbers of Small Tortoiseshells around here again albeit I have only looked at the one spot so far.

I appears that I wasn't paying attention properly with my previous report. I noticed that I posted a duplicate photo which I have now deleted. The shot below is the one I intended to post.
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 21.03.2020
And here is another one from Saturday which I was going to post but missed out :oops: .

Sunday 22nd March.

A pleasant looking day but that cold wind was still in evidence and some high level cloud took some of the warmth from the sun so I didn't go anywhere.

Still no butterflies in the garden but whilst pottering about in the afternoon I did disturb a nice colour form of the micro Acleris cristana. This was only the second micro I have seen here so far this year.
Acleris cristana - Coverdale 22.03.2020

Monday 23rd March.

Now that I am working from home, I am trying to set myself a bit of a daily routine to include a lunchtime walk to get some fresh air and a bit of exercise...at least for as long as we are allowed to that is.

After a cold night, this morning began with a frosty start but by lunchtime it had warmed up nicely. The cold wind of the past couple of days was much lighter and it felt quite pleasant in the sun, although it was still a bit nippy in the shade.
Not having the time to go too far, I just went for a walk down to the patch of rough ground by my local park where I had gone on Saturday and seen the butterflies posted in my previous report.

I soon spotted a couple each of Small Tortoiseshells and Commas, probably some of the same ones that I had seen on Saturday, but also a Peacock that was definitely a different one, this individual being in better condition.
Peacock - Wagon Lane 23.03.2020
Peacock - Wagon Lane 23.03.2020
I wandered over to the stand of blackthorn that was in full flower and on the way spotted my first male Brimstone of the year patrolling in the distance.
At this time of year I am always keen to get photos of butterflies on spring blossom and was hoping for this today. On Saturday the cold wind had kept the butterflies low down but with the much lighter breeze today I hoped that I might by lucky. Sure enough I soon spotted the bright orange shape of a Comma standing out against the blossom.
Comma - Wagon Lane 23.03.2020
There were also a couple of Small Tortoiseshells flying around close by and occasionally settling on the blackthorn.
There was also another Brimstone, or quite possibly the same one I had seen earlier coming around again on his circuits.

As this was just a lunchtime walk I couldn't stay long and soon headed back home but this short session certainly brightened the day up somewhat. During the 40 minutes or so that I was out I only saw a few people, none of whom came anywhere close to me so social distancing was easily observed.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sublime photos Neil :D :mrgreen: The Acleris cristana looks like it flew under a paint brush :lol: I will envy your garden even mire than usual over the next three weeks :( :mrgreen: Stay safe.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Classic Springtime images, Neil, butterflies on Blackthorn blossom.
A mrgreen is reserved for the Small Tortoiseshell shots. :mrgreen: .

Wurzel used the word ' sublime ', and that is about right!.

Stay safe,
Trevor.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Wurzel and Trevor, much appreciated :D

Tuesday 24th March.

Another frosty start to the day but with clear skies again it didn't take long to start warming up. In fact there was very little breeze today and what there was had shifted to come more from the south so without that wind chill factor of the past couple of days it turned into the warmest day so far this week.

There were a few connection issues this morning with not only myself but also other members of our team dropping out of the company systems we are using. I guess that there is a large amount of online traffic with large numbers of people now working from home and putting extra strain on the systems. During these breaks, I would pop into the garden and later in the morning was pleased to see my first garden butterfly of the year, a Peacock.
Peacock - Coverdale 24.03.2020
Peacock - Coverdale 24.03.2020
With the latest government directions still allowing for a walk outside for exercise, as long as the required distance from other people is maintained, around 11.30 I went for an early lunchtime walk down to the area by my local park. Once again, only a few people were seen on the way and it seems to have become the social norm now to cross the road to avoid each other while still nodding a greeting.

I was hoping to get some more photos of butterflies on blossom as it makes a change for me to be able to do this during the week instead of being stuck inside at work (trying to look on the bright side during these trying times).

Anyway, there was plenty of opportunity with four or five each of Commas and Small Tortoiseshells posing nicely on the blackthorn blossom.
Comma - Wagon Lane 24.03.2020
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 24.03.2020
There were also three Peacocks in this spot today, only one of which went anywhere near the blossom and then only briefly.
Peacock - Wagon Lane 24.03.2020
The rest of the time they seemed to be more content with patrolling up and down the hedge and settling to bask lower down on the vegetation.
There are a few small clumps of garden daffodils growing here, no doubt escapees from nearby gardens, and at one point I spotted a Comma settled on one. I don't think he was feeding from it, just using it as a basking spot.
After another brief but enjoyable session here I started walking back home and on the way spotted another Small Tortoiseshell in a front garden. I took a couple of sneaky shots before (hopefully) anyone saw me and wondered what I was up to.
Small Tortoiseshell around the corner to my house.
Small Tortoiseshell around the corner to my house.
Later in the afternoon, my second garden butterfly, a Comma, passed through without stopping.

It looks like a similar day is forecast again tomorrow so I may well end up doing the same again, after all there is only a short window before the blossom starts to go over.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

Lovely photos Neil. So vivid with the colours. The butterflies all look absolutely pristine.
David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous array of spring colour, Neil.

How come your blackthorn is so much more advanced than mine? We have a few sprigs in blossom here and there, but nothing like what you've captured in those images above.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots Neil, I love to see the Butterflies on the Blossom Goldie :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Otep wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:41 pm Lovely photos Neil. So vivid with the colours. The butterflies all look absolutely pristine.
Thanks Otep, although these adult hibernators can vary greatly in condition, it always amazes me how many of them can emerge looking so good after the winter weather.
David M wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:03 pm Fabulous array of spring colour, Neil.

How come your blackthorn is so much more advanced than mine? We have a few sprigs in blossom here and there, but nothing like what you've captured in those images above.
Thanks David, not all the blackthorn here is as advanced as that, that stand is in a sheltered south facing spot.
Goldie M wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:56 pm Fantastic shots Neil, I love to see the Butterflies on the Blossom Goldie :D
Thanks Goldie, one of my favourite sights of spring and one I always look forward to.

Tuesday 24th March - Garden Moths

It was a little less cold on Tuesday night with temperatures forecast to just drop down to about 3c instead of the -1 or -2c we had been getting for the past couple of nights. The skies were still clear but with no moon I decided to put the moth trap out...after all, as my son Chris says, it won't catch anything in the garage.

I was pleased with the result, which was 12 moth of 5 species including new for years of Clouded Drab (5) and probably my favourite spring moth, an Oak Beauty.
Oak Beauty - Coverdale 24.03.2020
Oak Beauty - Coverdale 24.03.2020
The rest of the catch consisted of Common Quaker (2), Hebrew Character (3) and a single Common Plume Moth.
Common Quaker - Coverdale 24.03.2020
Common Quaker - Coverdale 24.03.2020
Hebrew Character - Coverdale 24.03.2020
Hebrew Character - Coverdale 24.03.2020

I remember last year posting a couple of Combined images of the variation in Common Quakers and Hebrew Characters, and with Clouded Drab being another variable species I have done a similar combo showing four of these from the trap on Tuesday night.
Clouded Drabs showing variation - Coverdale 24.03.2020
Clouded Drabs showing variation - Coverdale 24.03.2020
The moths are a bit slow to get going in my garden this year with 9 macro species and just 3 micros to the trap so far. No doubt the run of windy weather hasn't helped, especially through February when we had that run of storms coming in.

Wednesday 25th March.

In the end I didn't make it to my local park today, my lunchtime walk was taken up by a visit to my local shop to get some fresh food.

I did have a couple of afternoon breaks in the garden and had fly pasts from a Peacock and a Comma that were both flitting about but neither of them settled.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Hello Neil, lovely images you have posted. The Commas and Small Torts really pop on the Blackthorn. Makes me excited for whats to come, if only we can get out to it.
Old Wolf.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Another cracking array Neil :D Although it's not great I'm coming round to this 'daily exercise' lark :wink: Mind you it would be good to think that in a few weeks it won't be necessary :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Neil, thanks for sharing your moth pics. I have for some years now been considering getting a moth trap and never did due to cost. But your pics are making me think about it again more seriously. If I cannot get my usual Butterfly fixes by venturing out - I can perhaps better turn my attention to encouraging moths in! Thank you for reminding me about this possibility.
Ernie F
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Old Wolf wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:10 pm Hello Neil, lovely images you have posted. The Commas and Small Torts really pop on the Blackthorn. Makes me excited for whats to come, if only we can get out to it.
Thanks Old Wolf, I have a feeling that things will be a bit limited for many of us soon. In my case I would need to drive to see some of the later spring species which is not on the cards at the moment. It remains to be seen how long this will be the case.
Wurzel wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 pm Another cracking array Neil :D Although it's not great I'm coming round to this 'daily exercise' lark :wink: Mind you it would be good to think that in a few weeks it won't be necessary :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Cheers Wurzel. Yes, here's hoping that in a few weeks things will look a bit better.
ernie f wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:18 am Neil, thanks for sharing your moth pics. I have for some years now been considering getting a moth trap and never did due to cost. But your pics are making me think about it again more seriously. If I cannot get my usual Butterfly fixes by venturing out - I can perhaps better turn my attention to encouraging moths in! Thank you for reminding me about this possibility.
Thanks Ernie, glad to have given you some food for thought. The moths certainly add an extra level of interest to the garden.
I am not sure if you use Facebook at all, I use it for a few groups and don't bother much with the drivel that makes up the main feed. The link to the group below may be of interest as it is mainly for home made traps.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mothtraps.uk/

I myself have a twin actinic tube Robinson trap that was a birthday present a few years back but I appreciate that these are relatively expensive. I know some people who use Skinner or Heath traps to good effect. The local habitat is more important than the type of trap used.

Thursday 26th March.

We woke up to the frostiest morning so far this week but with clear blue skies and a gentle breeze it did not take long for the sun to start warming things up although it still felt quite cold in the shade up until mid morning.

With the forecast for the weekend looking like the weather is going to turn cloudy and colder again, I decided to make the most of my lunchtime exercise walk today and return once again to the spot by my local park. Although a few dog walkers can usually be found in the park itself, the area of rough ground to the side is usually quiet and it is easy to keep well away from the odd one or two people passing through.

I checked out the usual favoured spots, including the large stand of blackthorn, some of which is beginning to go over now. There were a few more butterflies about today than there had been on my last visit on Tuesday and I reckon on a conservative count of approximately a dozen Small Tortoiseshells and half a dozen or so each of Commas and Peacocks. As well as visiting the blackthorn blossom, some males of all three species had established territories along the hedgerow and I recognised some of the same individuals that I had seen here previously, as well as new examples of Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock in particular.
Small Tortoiseshell - Wagon Lane 26.03.2020
Comma - Wagon Lane 26.03.2020
Peacock - Wagon Lane 26.03.2020
Numerous instances of two or three of these three species mixing it up together were observed spiralling high up into the blue skies before separating and returning to their favourite spots.

A couple of times I watched males chasing after females but only once managed to see a pair of Small Tortoiseshells land close enough so that I could sneak up and grab a photo, although not without annoying blades of grass in the way.
Small Tortoiseshell pair - Wagon Lane 26.03.2020
Small Tortoiseshell pair - Wagon Lane 26.03.2020
I also watched a Small Tortoiseshell chase a Peacock into the blackthorn and attempt what looked like courtship behaviour which the Peacock seemed to just ignore.
Small Tortoiseshell & Peacock - Wagon Lane 26.03.2020
Small Tortoiseshell & Peacock - Wagon Lane 26.03.2020
Having seen other spring species being reported from around the Midlands over the past few days, I was keeping a look out and was pleased to spot a white butterfly come fluttering along the hedge line. It settled and proved itself to be a female Small White, my first of the year. It was soon off again but returned a litter later and settled for a bit longer this time.
Small White - Wagon Lane 26.03.2020
Small White - Wagon Lane 26.03.2020
Even better, a little further along, a male Orange-tip flew past, just a couple feet away. I watched it fly on, figuring that it would keep going in the warm sun but then saw it drop down into the grass. I carefully approached and just managed to get a couple of shots before it was off again. Not the best photos in the world but who cares, the first Orange-tip of the year is always a bit special.
Orange-tip - Wagon Lane 26.03.2020
Orange-tip - Wagon Lane 26.03.2020
Another fairly short but cracking session at this spot which has proved to be a godsend over this past week with it being just five minutes walk from my house.

Still no Speckled Woods or Holly Blues here yet and with the weather turning cloudy and much colder over the weekend I guess I may have to wait a bit longer for these.

Bye for now.

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Another lovely set of Exercise shots Neil :D I'm especially jealous of the OT - try as I might I couldn't turn any of the feathers or Dead Neetles into one during my hour of exercise today :( :mrgreen: Fingers crossed that the majority hold off in emerging until the next spell of cooler weather is over and done with :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Neil,

I’m surprised you have seen Small White and Orange Tip already, though the weather has been warmer further north and west this week than in east Anglia. Your right though-your first Orange Tip of the year is always special!
David M

Post by David M »

Helluva post, Neil.

I'm a little envious as I never see Small Tortoiseshells nectaring on blackthorn like that round me. Normally, I see them in fairly open spaces away from woodland.

Great to see you nailed a male Orange Tip. It'll be tricky for us to follow them this year given the circumstances but with any luck in a week or so they'll be fairly commonplace.
millerd

Post by millerd »

A great selection of shots on the blackthorn, Neil. On my visits to Ryton Country Park in previous springs, I always noticed this behavious - maybe its a Midlands thing! I also envy you your numbers of Small Tortoiseshells as once again they are few and far between so far round here, more so even than in the last couple of years.

Cheers,

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:23 pm Another lovely set of Exercise shots Neil :D I'm especially jealous of the OT - try as I might I couldn't turn any of the feathers or Dead Neetles into one during my hour of exercise today :( :mrgreen: Fingers crossed that the majority hold off in emerging until the next spell of cooler weather is over and done with :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Cheers Wurzel, things are looking to turn a bit warmer again later next week, fingers crossed.
essexbuzzard wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:43 pm Hi Neil,

I’m surprised you have seen Small White and Orange Tip already, though the weather has been warmer further north and west this week than in east Anglia. Your right though-your first Orange Tip of the year is always special!
Hi Mark, Wednesday into Thursday was quite pleasant here, the wind dropped and temps got up to around 16c and possibly even higher in sheltered spots.
David M wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:34 pm Helluva post, Neil.

I'm a little envious as I never see Small Tortoiseshells nectaring on blackthorn like that round me. Normally, I see them in fairly open spaces away from woodland.

Great to see you nailed a male Orange Tip. It'll be tricky for us to follow them this year given the circumstances but with any luck in a week or so they'll be fairly commonplace.
Thanks David. Hopefully, in a weeks time the weather will have warmed up a bit again and I may get one or two in the garden.
millerd wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:31 pm A great selection of shots on the blackthorn, Neil. On my visits to Ryton Country Park in previous springs, I always noticed this behavious - maybe its a Midlands thing! I also envy you your numbers of Small Tortoiseshells as once again they are few and far between so far round here, more so even than in the last couple of years.

Cheers,

Dave
Interesting observation about the blossom Dave. I have seen others post photos of butterflies on blossom from other areas so I don't think it is just a midlands thing. Possibly just down to the timing of the blossom coming into flower at different sites depending on local microclimate.

Friday 27th March

No more butterflies here, despite a few sunny spells it has gone much colder with a stiff wind from the north.

Before the wind became too blowy over the weekend, I put the moth trap out on Friday night despite it still being a bit blustery and with temperatures forecast to drop down to around 3 degrees.
Numbers were down again but I still had 7 moths of 3 species, these being Hebrew Character (5), Common Quaker (1) and another Oak Beauty. The latter was a bit more worn than the one from the other day but could be identified as a different individual by slight differences in markings.
Oak Beauty - Coverdale 27.03.2020
Oak Beauty - Coverdale 27.03.2020
The first few days of next week look to be staying colder but there are signs of the temperatures creeping up through the second half of the week so lets hope we all get to see a few more butterflies soon, whether in our gardens or on local exercise walks.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

fantastic shots Neil, a Small White and an Orange tip :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm really envious now :D Goldie :D
Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Hello Neil, more fabulous shots, I am really quite envious of all the 'action' in your area :D

The Oak Beauty really lives up to its name and I said it before but the butterfly on Blackthorn combo really is spectacular :mrgreen:
Old Wolf.

Return to “Personal Diaries”