Virus advice

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
MikeOxon

Re: Virus advice

Post by MikeOxon »

David M wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:46 pm
MikeOxon wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:36 pmIs home really that bad?
Not for me, Mike - it's positively blissful - ...
My original comment was meant to be very 'tongue in cheek'. I do appreciate the points you make and I too can foresee problems, especially for people who have had all their main sources of pleasure (sport, pubs, clubs) removed from them.
For once, it seems to be a positive advantage to be retired and to enjoy the quiet life. I have great sympathy for those who are trying to cope with a houseful of teenage kids, while being out of work themselves.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

John W I just need to get out into the woods and fields in order to stay sane.
As you realise, that is precisely how I feel.
everybody should stay at home and would only be allowed to leave for specific reasons:
Shopping for "basic necessities", as infrequently as possible. People should use delivery services, where they can
Medical reasons, to provide care, or to help a vulnerable person
Is keeping the mind fit (as well as the body) a "medical reason"?

And to Mike Oxon's comments, I can actully have some sympathy for street beggars who will see a huge drop in doantions

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Edit to my earlier comments:

Our employer has told us all to work from home now and a couple of my colleagues have sent Whats App messages today regarding police stopping people who are driving to places for their 'daily exercise'. The Gower has plenty of popular beauty spots, so I suspect they are trying to suppress the kind of free-for-all that occurred when huge numbers of people descended upon these places last Sunday.

So, a word of advice - stay fairly local and avoid places which routinely attract large numbers of people. You may find the police are there to disperse gatherings.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

My view is go short distances to places where no-one else goes (or nearly no-one else). And to make the most of it because it would not surprise me if further "measures" will be taken in due course and we shall suffer a total lock-down like some other countries have.

Then its back garden butterflies only.
Ernie F
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

millerd wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:09 pm
David M wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:46 pm ...Another important thing to consider is the absence of televised live sport. For huge numbers of people, this is a principal interest in their lives...
As someone who doesn't have a television and has no interest whatever in football, I personally find this aspect mystifying. (I have been known to dip into the Six Nations Rugby on i-Player on my PC, but that's about it!). However, unfortunately I think David has a made a worryingly good point. Many people are just not used to living with their own company, or the constant company of a very limited group of others, for prolonged periods.

Those of us that relish it are perhaps a small minority (sometimes known to the rest of the world as sad b*st*rds! :) )

Dave
I have 2 televisions and watch neither. Each has an embarrasing thick coat of dust. I really like the fact that I don't have an interest in TV.

Apparently the average Briton spends 27 hours a week / 10 years in their life watching TV.

I do totally respect the fact that for many the TV is a wonderful companion and a source of entertainment or education. Sadly for some, TV is all that they have - and I am glad that they do at least have that.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

millerd wrote: As someone who doesn't have a television and has no interest whatever in football, I personally find this aspect mystifying.
I am sure that many of the TV fans of football, cricket, motor racing, golf and tennis (I am one such minor fan) would find a love of butterflies even more mystifying. I had really been looking forward to what would have been a closely-fought series of cricket matches between English and Sri Lanka.

Now Omphaloskepsis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omphaloskepsis) really is boring

Jack
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

ernie f wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:58 pm My view is go short distances to places where no-one else goes (or nearly no-one else). And to make the most of it because it would not surprise me if further "measures" will be taken in due course and we shall suffer a total lock-down like some other countries have.

Then its back garden butterflies only.
And ... you might be surprised what you find on your local patch. As I've travelled less in the last couple of years (after an absolutely mad decade!), I really treasure the spots that are within a mile or two from my house, and easily accessed by foot. Things I didn't know existed until I wandered off the beaten path. This includes colonies of Small Copper, Silver-washed Fritillary, White Admiral, Marbled White, Dingy Skipper, Grizzled Skipper, Green Hairstreak, Common Blue and Brown Argus. When you add the more widespread species, then that's quite a list of things to study!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

"I have a dream, a song to sing.....I believe in Admirals"
17-10-21-537-RedAdmiral.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HMjOiHqE18
Well, we need to live in hope.

Jack
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Folks

I just watched a BBC programme which incorporated Q&A about Coronovirus and government interpretation of what is meant by "essential travel". They said it is not acceptable to travel by car other than for work, groceries and medicine. It is not allowed apparently to drive somewhere and park up even if you just sit in the car and by implication it is also not OK to get out and walk. When they say "daily exercise" it appears they mean walk, run or cycle from your home and back and to keep it short.

Just as well I am getting Peacock and Brimstone repeatedly visiting my garden then!
Ernie F
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

A tearful plea from a nurse who says that she is terrified of going to work “but has to” brought home the reality more than any of Johnson’s or Hancock’s exhortations.

Nevertheless, I fail to understand how driving along the road for two miles (I couldn’t walk that far) to watch breeding Lapwings from inside my car is construed as putting the public at risk whereas I would be allowed to drive into Nairn or Forres to visit an Off Licence.

Don’t misunderstand. I will do my utmost to be sensible and avoid any unnecessary risk to others (or myself). But I cannot promise that those Lapwings won’t be watched occasionally.

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

ernie f wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:08 pm
I just watched a BBC programme which incorporated Q&A about Coronovirus and government interpretation of what is meant by "essential travel". They said it is not acceptable to travel by car other than for work, groceries and medicine. It is not allowed apparently to drive somewhere and park up even if you just sit in the car and by implication it is also not OK to get out and walk. When they say "daily exercise" it appears they mean walk, run or cycle from your home and back and to keep it short.
What they're trying to avoid is large numbers of people converging on popular places where social distancing will be all but impossible.

There are plenty of places near where I live that hardly anyone ever goes to and those are the spots I'll be visiting until these restrictions are eased.

Interestingly, I saw far more cyclists on the road yesterday than normal so if you've got a bike now might be the time to use it with traffic levels much reduced.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Hi folks

Now it appears the police are putting up sporadic roadside checkpoints to enforce the Government's instructions on "essential travel" and is turning drivers back to go home if it is deemed by them to be non-essential. Failure to comply results in a £60 fine (£30 if you pay up within two weeks) and the fine doubles up to a max of £1000 for each subsequent "offence".

I am more or less adopting their instruction for personal reasons anyway. I am in my 60's and am in the mid-risk range, having high blood pressure and kidney issues. Also it appears men are far more likely to suffer this virus worse than women and the death rate amongst men is far higher too.

I think I shall skip a year Butterflying to stay alive if I can!!! :(
Ernie F
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Ernie F: I am in my 60's and am in the mid-risk range, having high blood pressure and kidney issues.
It’s quite interesting Ernie that you are happy to mention some of your medical issues. So am I (I will list them later should you wish :evil: ) and so indeed are most of my elderly friends who are quite open about discussing their health. But we have offical “patient confidentiality” so we are not allowed to know what was the underlying condition when someone dies with Covid 19. That confidentiality gives many of us in a certain age bracket unnecessary concern.

On a lighter note, I could never have imagined that deafness might be a factor. Last week, I was chatting with an elderly birdwatcher. He was even more deaf than I am and came dangerously close in order to communicate. :evil:

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

This from yesterday:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52062209
Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

This from yesterday:
Jack
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Jack Harrison wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:04 am This from yesterday:
Jack
These examples do seem rather extreme to me and will surely lead to resentment. As someone commented, better to walk in an isolated place than on busy streets near home! On the other hand, I can see the point in steering people away from popular tourist spots, like Snowdonia and the Lake District, not least because it upsets the locals, who fear having the virus brought to them from outside. A strong case for common sense all round.
John W

Post by John W »

MikeOxon wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:55 pm These examples do seem rather extreme to me and will surely lead to resentment. As someone commented, better to walk in an isolated place than on busy streets near home! On the other hand, I can see the point in steering people away from popular tourist spots, like Snowdonia and the Lake District, not least because it upsets the locals, who fear having the virus brought to them from outside. A strong case for common sense all round.
Just to say that I'm in agreement with Mike: common-sense and rational analysis is what's needed in this situation.

Cheers
John W
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I do hope the authorities use a bit of common sense on this issue. As parks and green spaces become more and more crowded with people doing their essential exercise, a short drive to the countryside could reduce the risk of infection.
David M

Post by David M »

I fear it's going to be harder and harder to control as we move through April and into May. By then, people will have had over a month of indoor purgatory and I'm not sure they'll be able to keep to the advice.

It's also going to be damaging to health and well being in ways not related to the virus - domestic abuse, depression, sunlight deprivation, alcoholism, obesity, etc...

We just have to hope that these current measures lead to a sufficient fall in new infections and that restrictions are eased slightly. Even if that happens, I doubt we'll be able to do as we please before mid-May. :(
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

A friend and former colleague has been doing some extrapolations from the COVID-19 data for various countries - see http://www.stephenburch.com/covid19/covid19.htm The trends in the patterns from different countries suggest that UK may fare better than many other places. It seems likely, however, that we shall not 'turn the corner' until at least mid-May, so some better recommendations regarding outdoor exercise are going to be needed very soon, if the domestic consequences suggested by David M are to be minimised

Return to “General”