golf course information

Discussion forum for conservation of butterflies.
greendave

golf course information

Post by greendave »

hi new here and i might sound a bit dim but we have some areas of grassland on our golf course that we have set aside for conservation and i was wondering what sort of plants shrubs ect would be good for butterflies to flourish . also i want to inject a bit of colour to areas of the course and also do our bit for the environment , any help would be appretiated ,

thanks dave
m_galathea

Re: golf course information

Post by m_galathea »

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll be able to get some help here. Whereabouts is your golf course? This will make all the difference on what to plant etc.

Alexander
greendave

Post by greendave »

hi thanks alexander it is the lickey hills golf course which is a parkland 18 hole on the birmingham/worcester border , the course is situated in the lickey hills country park and is run by birmingham city council . each year we are trying to improve the conservation aspects on the course , thanks again for your response ....... :)
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Hi Dave,

There is a booklet on the subject published by the Cheshire branch of Butterfly Conservation - available here:

http://www.aurelianbooks.co.uk/BookUI.php?id=513
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

That looks promising Matsukaze. One area in which you may be able to play an important role is in the conservation of the white-letter hairstreak by planting elms resistant to Dutch Elm disease such as 'Nanguen' Lutèce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulmus_'Nanguen'
eccles

Post by eccles »

THE shrub to plant is buddliea. It can grow quite tall if left alone but can be cut right back in winter. It flowers better if this is done. If you plant more than one, prune each at different times to allow early and late flowering.
Good flowers are fleabane, field and devil's bit scabious, greater and black knapweed, white clover, bird's foot trefoil, ox-eye daisy, wild marjoram, and even the common dandelion. A nettle patch is always good as is bramble but these obviously need cutting back regularly to prevent them taking over.

Return to “Conservation”