Whitecross Green Wood

Discussion forum for field trips and any other events.
Jack Harrison

Whitecross Green Wood

Post by Jack Harrison »

Just a reminder that we had provisionally planned a get-together for Brown Hairstreaks weekend 16/17 August. I think we had left it flexible as to Saturday or Sunday to take into account last minute weather forecasts and to pick the better day of the two.

Also a reminder about the planned after-season party at Jack's place, afternoon /evening 20 September. Details on this thread:

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB2/v ... f=3&t=2380

About a dozen takers so far but plenty of room for more.

Jack
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Whitecross Green Wood

Post by Trev Sawyer »

The hairstreaks are definitely on the wing there Jack (see "August 2008" on sightings thread).

Not sure whether I can make your party yet. I'm not far away from you, so if I can, I will be there. Don't worry I WILL let you know for certain with a few days notice.

Cheers,

Trev
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Saturday now looks MARGINALLY the better day but neither day brilliant. I will be there on Saturday, ETA 1000 BST

We should get 18 or 19 degrees by late morning on both days but with some cloud cover, Sunday probably thicker cloud. Indeed, one forecast model I have been looking at suggests that it could be quite sunny on Saturday but I've far from confident about that aspect of the forecast. At least the wind strength is reasonable on both days.

Reminder at the request of the conservators NO trampling (after all we don't own the wood, no permit is required, so we ought to stick to the rules)

I suggest lunch at the nearby Nut Tree Inn at Murcott for the chin-wag.

Jack
Martin

Post by Martin »

Any chance of a map as I may be able to make this now?

Martin.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x ... search.srf

gives the location. Open and drive through each set of gates to the car park. The track is opposite the cottage and in fact looks private but don't be misled.

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Well, I went this Saturday morning and was the only person there. The weather was as forecast - plenty of warm sunshine although the wind was a little stronger than I had expected.

Two geriatric males Brown Hairstreaks plus all the usual.

Jack

Return to “Field Trips and Events”