European Butterflies Magazine

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
David M

Re: European Butterflies Magazine

Post by David M »

jasonsargerson wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:01 pm...I made it 10 countries, not 9 - I thought I had missed one out!
My apologies, Jason! I had originally classed Corfu as being Greece but I later noticed that Greece itself isn't there!!!

Must be my age. :)
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

The new issue of European Butterflies Magazine is now available from me for £8.00, including postage. (This is the least expensive option).

I still have copies of the previous magazine available - so if you would like both, then the price is £14.00, including postage.

The magazine is also available from Pemberley Books, NHBS and through Amazon.

I hope the magazine is establishing itself now.

There are three travel companies that contribute regularly - Naturetrek, Greenwings and Wild Echo - they each have around 10 trips to Europe, so there is plenty of scope for articles for years to come.

Regular contributors have included David Moore, James Gibbs, Nick Morgan, Dave Maertens and Robin Fox. New contributors in the 2020 issue include Andy Adcock, Dab Danahar and Gyorgy Liptovszky.

Conservation activities in Europe by the European Butterfly Group are covered by Mike Prentice.

There is scope for new contributors, so if you would like to contribute, get in touch. No doubt the magazine will change and evolve over the years.
Attachments
European Butterflies Magazine 2020
European Butterflies Magazine 2020
European Butterflies Magazine 2019
European Butterflies Magazine 2019
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Thanks Jason. Got my copy this morning. An excellent read: some good articles covering a fantastic range of species, alongside some mouth-watering photographs. Really enjoyed it! And of course it has whetted my appetite for further European butterfly travels...
David M

Post by David M »

I enjoyed it too, Jason, especially given the wide selection of locations in this edition.

Like Pete, it has whetted my appetite too, but the way things are going it might be a while before continental butterflying is back on the agenda. :(
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

In these difficult times I don't expect many orders for the magazine.

However, when we turn the corner and our prospects are better, I do have copies of both the 2018 and 2019 magazines to send out.

I hope the magazine will provide some enjoyment this year, especially if all our overseas butterfly trips are cancelled.

I attach two images from the 2019 magazine: Southern Festoon in Corfu by Dan Danahar and Small Desert Blues in Cyprus by Nick Morgan.
Attachments
Southern Festoon, Corfu, 14.04.19, Dan Danahar
Southern Festoon, Corfu, 14.04.19, Dan Danahar
Small Desert Blues, Cyprus, 25.07.15, Nick Morgan
Small Desert Blues, Cyprus, 25.07.15, Nick Morgan
David M

Post by David M »

jasonsargerson wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:37 amI attach two images from the 2019 magazine: Southern Festoon in Corfu by Dan Danahar and Small Desert Blues in Cyprus by Nick Morgan.
Not sure how to react to those, Jason - thanks for increasing the heart rate but also there's a sense of bereavement at what we are NOT going to see in 2020. :(
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

I have had a few inquiries for copies of the first edition of the magazine.

I gave away quite a lot of copies to the Lincolnshire Butterfly Conservation and Yorkshire Butterfly Conservation branches for them to sell at bargain prices at their sales stands.

So, if you are still looking for a copy please contact them, I am sure they will be able to send you a copy.

One of the many highlights of the first issue of the magazine was the article about butterflies in the mountains in Graubunden in Switzerland by David and Sally Irven. The photographs were superb, especially the Cynthia's Fritillary - see attached.
Attachments
Cynthia's Fritillary, Fuorcla Champagna, 17.07.17
Cynthia's Fritillary, Fuorcla Champagna, 17.07.17
Cynthia's Fritillary, Fuorcla Surlej, 12.07.17
Cynthia's Fritillary, Fuorcla Surlej, 12.07.17
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

Now that Butterfly magazine has moved on line, I hope there will be more interest in my magazine: European Butterflies.

To reiterate the aims of the magazine may be useful.

European Butterflies Magazine is an annual publication just about butterflies (not moths or people).

Contributors are butterfly enthusiasts (not paid officers of a charity) and they submit a small profile of themselves when they first contribute.

Europe is considered to range from the Islands of the Atlantic to Turkey and Russia in the east and from the Islands of the Mediterranean to the Arctic.

Contributions are welcome from individuals and organisations.

The magazine is very well illustrated with at least 100 colour photographs of a wide range of species.

Advertising is limited to 10% of the magazine (compared to 30% in Butterfly) - usually 3 pages maximum.

Three issues have been published so far, contributions are now welcome for the 4th issue.
Attachments
European Butterflies 2018
European Butterflies 2018
European Butterflies 2019
European Butterflies 2019
European Butterflies 2020
European Butterflies 2020
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

Pete Smith has contributed a comprehensive article about one of his favourite places: the Queyras Regional Park in Eastern France.

This is a mountain/high mountain area with many key species, rare species include Warren's Skipper and False Mnestra Ringlet.

There is an array of Blues, as well as Coppers, Fritillaries and Ringlets.
Attachments
Purple-shot Copper, 10.07.17
Purple-shot Copper, 10.07.17
Silvery Argus, 10.07.17
Silvery Argus, 10.07.17
David M

Post by David M »

That should make good reading. This region is one of the finest in Europe and probably plays host to almost 200 odd species.
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

Robin Fox has sent in an interesting article about how he finds butterflies in Northern Italy, where he lives.

There is a local butterfly atlas that he consults and finds very useful in locating often rare species.

The scenery is spectacular of course.
Attachments
View Sappada, 07.07.20
View Sappada, 07.07.20
Asian Fritillary, Monte Siera, 08.07.20
Asian Fritillary, Monte Siera, 08.07.20
Iolas Blue, Servis, 09.06.20
Iolas Blue, Servis, 09.06.20
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Jason - have you considered making your magazine available online as an option too? :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

Thanks for the suggestion Pete - I may put my older magazines on line, when I have sold all the hard copies.

I personally much prefer printed magazines or books - I tend to skim through publications on line, such as the EBG newsletter and the recent edition of Butterfly on line.

David Moore has contributed an article about the Spring butterflies in the Eastern Pyrenees for the new issue of European Butterflies.

There are interesting early species such as Violet Copper, Chequered Blue, Marsh Fritillary beckerii, Provencal Fritillary, Spanish Festoon and Western Marbled White.
Attachments
Provencal Fritillary female, 27.05.17, David Moore
Provencal Fritillary female, 27.05.17, David Moore
Western Marbled White, 20.05.19, David Moore
Western Marbled White, 20.05.19, David Moore
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

Dobromir Domuschiev has contributed an article about his garden in Bulgaria.

This is an extraordinary place - he has recorded 68 species in the garden. (More than a whole country like the UK!!).

It is illustrated with photos and also by paintings by Rosemary Powell.

So, there are many eastern European species to enjoy.
Attachments
Eastern Festoon, 14.06.18, Dobromir Domuschiev
Eastern Festoon, 14.06.18, Dobromir Domuschiev
Lattice Brown, 18.06.09, Dobromir Domuschiev
Lattice Brown, 18.06.09, Dobromir Domuschiev
Large Blue, Rosemary Powell
Large Blue, Rosemary Powell
Scarce Swallowtail, Rosemary Powell
Scarce Swallowtail, Rosemary Powell
David M

Post by David M »

jasonsargerson wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:43 amDobromir Domuschiev...has recorded 68 species in the garden.
That's insane!! :shock:

I shall look forward to reading about it, Jason.
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

Mario Langourov of Wild Echo Tours (Bulgaria) has contributed an introduction to Morocco.

Of course, Morocco is not in Europe - but very close.

According to my text book, there are approximately 140 species, of which 100 or so can be found in Europe (Spain mainly).

So, there are some familiar species as well as more exciting unusual species.
Attachments
Dark Giant Grayling, 18.05.17, Mario Langourov
Dark Giant Grayling, 18.05.17, Mario Langourov
Spanish Fritillary,14.05.17, Mario Langourov
Spanish Fritillary,14.05.17, Mario Langourov
David M

Post by David M »

Excellent stuff, Jason. :)

I was supposed to be going there last May until Covid stopped play. I just hope by the end of May 2021 I can get out there, although I'm starting to have my doubts given recent developments. :(
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

Ervin Szombathelyi (Facebook Hungarian Butterflies) has contributed an article about a trip to Serbia to look for False Comma.

It has been expertly translated by his friend Tamas Hudak.

Several other rare butterflies were encountered as well as the superb False Comma, including Bog Fritillary, Freyer's Fritillary, Balkan Copper and Russian Heath. He was very pleased to see Small Tortoiseshell, now rare in Hungary!
Attachments
Balkan Copper, 24.06.19, Ervin Szombathleyi
Balkan Copper, 24.06.19, Ervin Szombathleyi
Bog Fritillary, 24.06.19, Ervin Szombathleyi
Bog Fritillary, 24.06.19, Ervin Szombathleyi
False Comma, 24.06.19, Ervin Szombathleyi
False Comma, 24.06.19, Ervin Szombathleyi
Freyer's Fritillary, 24.06.19, Ervin Szombathelyi
Freyer's Fritillary, 24.06.19, Ervin Szombathelyi
David M

Post by David M »

Another great appetiser, Jason. I have a feeling this is going to be the best issue to date. :)
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

Jim Asher has contributed an article about the potential for his tour of Herzegovina in June 2021. (www.wild-herzegovina.com)

There are 189 species of butterfly recorded in Herzegovina, so there should be many to see in early June.

This is assuming we are well on the way to overcoming the Covid 19 virus.

Some of the butterflies to look forward to include Scarce Swallowtail, Chequered Blue, Queen of Spain Fritillary.

The Balkan specialities such as Balkan Fritillary, Balkan Copper, Balkan Blue are on Jim's list to discover.
Attachments
Chequered Blue, 17.05.19, Jim Asher
Chequered Blue, 17.05.19, Jim Asher
Scarce Swallowtail, 14.05.19, Jim Asher
Scarce Swallowtail, 14.05.19, Jim Asher

Return to “Overseas”