Andrew555

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Andrew555

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic set of shots Andrew :D The final Adonis is emblazoned on my retina, the most blue thing I've seen in a long time 8) :D Cracking ab Small Pearl :mrgreen: and that Copper in the hand - gorgeous and looks reminiscent of a foreign species almost 8) :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Thanks Trevor, yes I got lucky with the ab. Neil and Gary were already on it when I turned up, easy money!
Looking foward to the season and seeing you out there. :D

Hi Wurzel, thanks a lot buddy! :D
All the best.
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see you back, Andrew. Your images are such a joy (especially on a miserable, cloudy, windy March day!)

That SPBF is a beauty although it is the Wood White shot that caught my eye - there's always something magical when butterflies are photographed on dandelion seedheads. :)
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Hi David, thank you very much. Very kind of you. :)

In the latter part of June I paid special attention to the Dark Green Fritillary. They were wonderful to watch, in and around the Lullington Heath/Friston Forest area.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
They definitely favoured Thistle and Knapweed but would occasionally nectar from this plentiful yellow flower (a variety of Hawksbeard?).
5.jpg
This plant is called Viper's-bugloss and there were patches of it, some large, in Friston Forest. The Butterflies seemed to like it, I saw visits by Small Skipper, Marbled White, Painted Lady and DGF. As well as a Hummingbird hawk-moth.
6.JPG
7.jpg
All males so far, here are the ladies.
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
A couple of others from the forest. Fresh Marbled White male and a Red Admiral taking minerals.
12.jpg
13.jpg
Cheers. :)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More fantastic images Andrew :D 8) That shot with the three DGFs in a row - cracking and some really lush, sultry looking females :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Bring on the next one soon please :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Wonderful sequence, Andrew. Dark Green Fritillaries aren't the easiest of subjects but you've done exceptionally well there. I love the fourth image in particular, showing the species at its best.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some great images in your recent posts Andrew, I especially love the DGF sequence :D

Cheers,

Nei.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Cheers Wurzel, here we go. :)

Thanks David. Them being so engrossed in feeding definitely helped!

Hi Neil, thanks a lot. :)

June was also Black Hairstreak time, and Ditchling Common was better for me than last year.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
This one was giving it's wings a good old rub together.
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
A female Silver-studded Blue from Chapel Common.
10.jpg
Female and male Crab Spider at Fackenden Down. First time I saw a male.
11.jpg
The hillside Down and surrounding area is great for Marbled Whites.It's fairly local to me and I made a couple of early evening visits to see them settling down for the night.
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
The same butterfly shot from either side.
15.jpg
16.jpg
Cheers. :)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Thanks for the prompt delivery Andrew :D More cracking shots - those Blackstreaks :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and luscious Marbled Whites, I didn't do to well with them last year, I blinked and they were almost over :roll: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Love the wing rolling Black Hairstreak, and that glimpse of the upper side.
Aren't Marbled Whites nice and easy when they go to roost, great shot of three of them.

Keep well,
Trevor.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Very much enjoying your digest of 2019, Andrew, especially the shots of those lovely fresh female Dark Green Fritillaries. I love their subtle colouring, duskier than the males. :)

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

First class, Andrew. :) You timed that Black Hairstreak image to perfection when it was rolling its hindwings. Not often you get as good a glimpse of the hindwing submarginal orange markings as in your image.

As for the Marbled White shots, that 'threesome' is the type of photo one sees on the cover of magazines. Beautiful.
Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Your welcome Wurzel! :lol: Thanks m8, hope you do better with the Marbled Whites this year! :)

Cheers Trevor. They absolutely are! :)

Thanks Dave. I'm with you, love 'em! :)

Thanks David. I usually see much subtler wing rolling, but this one was quite 'vigorous'! :)
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Some fabulous shots in your 2019 catchup posts. That trio of Marbled White is particularly eye catching!
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Personal Diaries”