Grey Imported Equipment

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
bugmadmark

Grey Imported Equipment

Post by bugmadmark »

Hi

I did a search in the photo forum and didn't see anything mentioned on this topic. Whilst searching the internet for good deals on the Sigma 150mm macro lens I came across an excellent camera price busting comparison site, and discovered the same lens was available for between approx £490 and £358. I looked at the two companies offering the cheapest price and was (and still am) tempted. However, a close insect photographer friend told me to watch out for Grey Imports. I'd never heard of this and did some research - perhaps I'm just naive? Anyway, I discovered a Sigma publication on this very issue and I'd urge all photgraphers who are thinking of buying such equipment to read first!...

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/quickli ... g_grey.htm

There is a link on this site to a PDF doc that helps to explain what Grey Imports are are and what to look for. Most noticeable is the lack of the manufacturers guarantee. I understood that legitimate lenses imported into the UK via Sigma-UK have a 1 year warranty + 2 year extended warranty. Goods bought from outside UK or other importers do not offer this - but instead the supplier offers its own warranty - e.g. one supplier I looked at based in the UK has a note saying they offer 18 month warranty (which is how alarm bells sounded first of all). If this company went under - you'd probably have nowhere to go in the event of a fault - not what you want on an expensive prime lens! I'm not saying grey imports are a bad thing - but it would be nice to know that this is what you are buying in the first place - so be warned. I'm still trying to decide who offers the best 'legitimate' lens at best price - and this is delaying my insect photography ;-). Decisions decisions.
Mark
Rogerdodge

Re: Grey Imported Equipment

Post by Rogerdodge »

Mark
The subject of Grey Imports is fascinating.
It is certainly a gamble.
All my camera gear (except the 100-400 - thanks Denise, it is lovely!) has been bought, new, and grey inport, via various e-bay or web shops based in Hong Kong, China etc.
I have purchased, over the last 5 years, 2 DSLR bodies, a Bigma, a Sigma 500 f4.5, a 24-70 f2.8, a Canon 100mm macro, a Sigma 180mm macro, an MT24-EX twin flash, Lowepro bags, tripods, monopods, heads etc etc and loads of other bits and bobs.
Everything has arrived safely from the seller, and I have had no problems with any of the gear at all.
Most would now be out of warranty, and I have saved a total of way over £3,000.
There are horror stories out there - but I bet happy campers are in the majority.
YMMV
Roger
Cheers

Roger
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Mark,

I bought my Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG APO HSM Macro Lens and my Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC MACRO Lens from http://www.onestop-digital.com/catalog/ which sells from China, and I have been thrilled with them.
I would recommend them to anyone.

Denise
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Denise
Are you telling me that the 100-400 is a Grey Import!!!!!!!!!
I would never have bought it if I had known!
(Only joking - it is a stunner)
Roger
Cheers

Roger
Denise

Post by Denise »

No Roger,
That was bought in England, albeit from an ebay shop, but it was brand new!

Cheers
Denise
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

I've got a few lenses from Onestop-Digital, and have had no problems, I would defiantly recommend them. :)

Gruditch
Markulous

Post by Markulous »

I bought all my gear as grey import from Canada (Sigma SD10 and 2 x lenses) and had the camera repaired under warranty by Sigma (although I had an 3 year extended warranty as part of the deal - Mack who have a good reputation). Repaired the stuck shutter release in a matter of days with no probs but this was before they insisted on having proof of VAT paid for grey imports
eccles

Post by eccles »

I have always been a bit wary of buying cameras from abroad and have only bought UK supplied stock, but might chance a lens if the price was right. I bought a 1.4x Teleplus Pro300 teleconverter from a well estabished Hong Kong ebay dealer for just over £60, saving about £40 over the best UK price.
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

In a way this is all very reassuring. A gamble it is though. I think something like a 1.4x teleconv I could live with as its got no real moving parts and presumably not much to go wrong? Something like an AF lens hwever, often £400+ - i was just very nervous. The camerapricebuster.co.uk web site lists a couple of companies with good deals on the Sigma 150mm macro lens (canon fit) - I won't name them in case this is against this sites policy(?) - but both have replied saying theirs are imports. The cheapest (£357.95 inc P&P) imported theirs from the USA and give you a 1 year warranty and said that amateur photographer covered this recently - but I havent seen this article?. The second cheapest supplier (£359.95 P&P FOC) stated that 'all of our products are fully UK specification with English manuals and UK plugs. We source them directly from where they are manufactured for the UK market. Furthermore, all our products come with a free 18 month in-house warranty that we clearly stated on our website.' All of teh other more familiar suppliers were selling them for upwards of £430. I think I may give Sigma-Uk a call to check their opinion on the cheapest suppliers. In the case of the latter - I'm sure this should be 3 years in total if this was the case? Mark.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Suppose your lens does go wrong.
You box it up and send it to the supplier.
Does it matter if it goes to Birmingham or Beijing?
It may cost a few bob more, but you save hundreds on the purchase.
Sigma and Canon are very reliable - not a bad gamble.
(Sony are a different story though! :roll: )
Roger
Cheers

Roger
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Like Eccles, I won't buy a actual camera from abroad. :wink:
Mark I personally don't see much sense in spending an extra £100 + just to get a one year grantee, that you in all likelihood won't even use. :?

Gruditch
LCPete

Post by LCPete »

I bought my Sigma 150 from the chap who sells from Scotland, very happy saved a lot and will be buying my next lens from him too :D
I agree with the amount you save its worth chancing the warranty
Pete

Return to “Photography”