Small Heath - Favourite Photo 2019

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 16

In the words of Red Leader, Garven Dreis: “Almost there…almost there” :wink: .

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Small Heath - Favourite Photo 2019

Post by bugboy »

A couple of abs. last year. The first one I found whilst awaiting my very first sighting of a LTB
Small Heath ab. impupillata, Whitehawk Hill.JPG
The second one, with an extra 'blob' under the eyespot, was found at Abbots Wood
Small Heath, Abbots Wood.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw only one Small Heath last year and got one shot :D My Butterflying was very limited :D It was at Wye CP on the 23rd July, need less to say we choose the wrong entrance for a start to the CP, we finished rather high up on the hill side, hope fully this year we'll find the right way in :lol: Goldie :D
Attachments
765EAC2E-DCB3-4FFB-8548-2CC2A5CB1765_1_201_a.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Saw quite a few of this species in the UK in 2019, which is pleasing as their numbers appear to have dropped in recent years.

Here's one from Whiteford Burrows on the NW Gower coast on the first day I encountered them last year, 11th May:
1SmHth2(1).jpg
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

In the south of France, the early generation is similar to that further north, whereas the later summer generation has much more pronounced markings.
Here, 11th August:
pamphilus35 La Coutronne 11Aug19 (1).JPG
Chris
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Small Heaths seem to have had a better year in Warwickshire than in some recent years although I always find them around my local spots in fairly good numbers.

I liked this 'blind' example seen at my local site at Castle Hills in Solihull,
Small Heath - Castle Hills 25.05.2019
But my overall favourite shot has to be this one taken at the same spot on the same day.
Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:23 pm
I liked this 'blind' example seen at my local site at Castle Hills in Solihull,
Certainly is an unusual one, Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Small Heath

My Fave Small Heath came from my Duke site. It didn’t meet any of my usual criteria for selection; not an aberrant, not an unusual behaviour or posture and falling into any of my collections. I chose it because to me it’s possibly the best Small Heath shot that I’ve taken.
DSC_0259 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Small Heaths came fifth on my most frequent sightings list for my local patch, beaten in numbers only by Meadow Brown, Small White, Holly Blue and Brown Argus. With a season spanning May to September, there were very few days in this period when I failed to see at least one. However, their numbers have unfortunately dropped from previous years. This is the first of the year (2nd May).
SH1 020519.JPG
However, going through the many photos I have from the year I have been struck by the variation in markings there are in this small unassuming butterfly. The following were all seen locally in May and June - the theme of variety continues throughout the rest of the summer, with a tendency towards a sandier background colour (instead of grey) when the grass starts to dry out in August.
I feel a study coming on... :)
SH1 100519.JPG
SH1 190519.JPG
SH2 110619.JPG
SH2 120619.JPG
SH2 140619.JPG
Dave
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Good numbers at several sites in mid-Kent this year ,but I took very few pictures of them ,I managed to find two pairs,
both at Dungeness . My picture is from one of the local Common Spotted Orchid sites nearbye ………… just gone to roost.
Regards Allan.W.
P1070821.JPG

Return to “Small Heath”