Pyrenees Pyrgus

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Part timer

Pyrenees Pyrgus

Post by Part timer »

On a cold wet winter day (in England at least) how about a pyrgus challenge to brighten things up a bit?

I think the following, all taken in the French Pyrenees in June, are all either armoricanus or alveus, except for the first that may be cartharmi, but beyond that I'd be guessing, so any opinions (expert or otherwise) welcome.

Regards, Rupert
Attachments
DSC_0420 (2).JPG
DSC_0358 (2).JPG
DSC_0598 (2).JPG
DSC_0404 (2).JPG
DSC_0409 (2).JPG
DSC_0798 (2).JPG
DSC_0805 (2).JPG
David M

Re: Pyrenees Pyrgus

Post by David M »

Are any of these ups and uns of the same butterfly, Rupert?
Part timer

Post by Part timer »

That's a very good question, David! Counting from the top:

I think no. 1 is unique (but not impossible it's the same as 4 and/or 5) as they were taken fairly close by about 12 minutes apart
Nos. 2 & 3 are unique.
Nos. 4 and 5 may or may not be the same insect; they were certainly taken close together a few minutes apart
Nos. 6 & 7 are definitely the same.

Look forward to hearing more from you!
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Rupert.

I don't think any are carthami, and the only one I've got much confidence with is the final butterfly, with ups and uns in the last two images. That looks like armoricanus to me.
Part timer

Post by Part timer »

Thanks, David. I always find these very tricky!
David M

Post by David M »

Yes, they are the most difficult group of all, Rupert.

I generally try to rule things out first. Carthami and malvoides are the easiest to identify, and once you've eliminated those you look for the most distinctive elements of the others, the 'clothes-peg' in armoricanus, the anvil outlined in black of onorpordi or the exclamation mark in andromedae.

The two I really struggle with are alveus and serratulae. Large Grizzled Skipper isn't that much larger than Olive Skipper and I really need a close, unobstructed look at the underside to be sure.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I also like the last one for armoricanus. For the others, I'd go for serratulae. As we've often remarked, this is a very variable butterfly, but these pictures show some of its key features and it certainly flies in the region. Note in particular: the lack of any clearly defined markings on the hindwing uppersides; the discreteness of all the forewing upperside marks; the rather square central spot on the underside hindwing; the oval mark near the costa; the hint of a white border to the underside hindwing, near the anal angle.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Part timer

Post by Part timer »

Many thanks again to both.

I didn't post the attached originally (same insect - taken at around the same time in the same area) because I was pretty confident that it is malvoides but grateful for your confirmation or otherwise anyway.

Regards, Rupert
Attachments
DSC_0593 (2).JPG
DSC_0592 (2).JPG
David M

Post by David M »

I have to say that from what I can see this doesn't strike me as malvoides, Rupert. I usually find the ground colour on the hindwing uns much darker than your insect above. Of course, the upperside hindwing is the key giveaway for this species, but sadly that's the one thing missing!

Do you have Jacquier's pyrgus guide? If not, PM me with your email address and I'll forward it over to you - it's extremely useful.
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

Rupert,

Here is the link to the online Pyrgus guide:
http://files.biolovision.net/www.fauneg ... 1-7022.pdf

It's not possible to ID your latest Pyrgus with any confidence, but I would say that alveus is a strong candidate, on the basis I can see more reasons to preclude other species than I can for alveus. Not exactly scientific, but then Pyrgus ID is often a case of guesswork.

Maybe Guy will pick up this thread and offer an opinion.

Roger
Part timer

Post by Part timer »

Once again, thanks for your contributions, particularly the pointers to the Jacquier guide, which I have just downloaded. What a superbly crafted and illustrated piece of work, a real labour of love. Does he do Fritillaries and Blues as well?

I have probably run out of Pyrenees pyrgus for now, although I haven't checked through all my wife's photos yet and she is far more prolific than I am, so never say never ........
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

There is a quick guide to blues and fritillaries undersides and Erebia uppersides - links on my home page.

I have a few updates from 2019 to add, and I plan to add fritillary uppersides in due course.

Roger
Part timer

Post by Part timer »

I have referred to that site a number of times and found it very useful - I hadn't made the connection. I'm planning a first trip to the Dordogne in September next year, so looking forward to what can be seen there (butterflies, birds, food, wine .........).
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

David M

Post by David M »

Part timer wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:05 pm...I'm planning a first trip to the Dordogne in September next year, so looking forward to what can be seen there (butterflies, birds, food, wine .........)
:D Sounds idyllic, Rupert. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Return to “Identification”