Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of bird shots Bugboy - especially like the posing Bittern - you don't often see them like that :shock: :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Impressive line up of birds there, BB, although it's a little strange to see a parakeet amongst them. :shock:

How big is the population round there?
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A great selection of bird photos recently Bugboy, always interesting to see what is about in other parts of the country.
David M wrote:... although it's a little strange to see a parakeet amongst them. :shock:

How big is the population round there?
I believe they are now widespread in the south-east and there are quite a few around south Birmingham these days. I know a local birder who has been keeping count of their roosts in some parks around here.

Cheers,

Neil.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

It is a good place isn't it Essex, and surprisingly easy to forget you're in the middle of London too :)
Thanks Wurzel, that Bittern was particularly posey, I think he knew he had an audience :wink: !
Thanks David, the Parakeets down here now are about as common as Feral pigeons with several communal roosts numbering into the thousands I believe. You can go into Hyde park with food now and instead of having Pigeons landing on you, you get the parakeets. The RSPB website states there's 8600 breeding pairs in the UK..... a report I found in the Daily Mail gives a figure of 50,000 :lol: whatever the truth is, there's a lot of em!
Thanks Neil, I shall continue with the birds until the butterflies return, hopefully only a few months... but not too soon like last spring, 20 degrees in February just isn't right!

November (continued)
As much as I’ve wanted to, I’ve been unable to make a trip to Bookham to check up on the hibernating White Admiral larvae and do some Hairstreak egg searches, so my recent trips out have continued to be primarily birding.

I stayed local with on the 17th November with a couple of hours wandering around Walthamstow Marshes. Now winters arrived there’s a lot less people around and I feel a lot more comfortable walking around pointing a camera in various directions. Bird wise there wasn’t a great deal around, many of the winter visitors don’t seem to have arrived yet, no winter thrushes around but there might have been a few White Wagtail mixed in with our resident Pieds.
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_0101.JPG
Elsewhere the only thing that sat (or didn't swim to fast) for me was a Dabchick (or Little grebe in new money).
IMG_0113.JPG
On the 19th I went up to Chestunt for a couple of hours exploring the lea valley wetlands up there. Again there wasn’t a great deal around. Great-crested Grebe were in their less flamboyant winter dress, the odd cormorant would get spooked as I walked round a corner but the best spot of the day was a pair of Treecreeper. Sadly I was losing the light by then so the resulting cropped pics aren’t the best in the world!
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG
On the 20th I had a dentist appointment so once again I had to stay local. Another wander round Walthamstow Marshes gave me a few more targets to point my camera at. A Song Thrush enjoying it’s morning bath
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG
The Pied/White Wagtails were still around but today had been joined by a flock of Linnet.
IMG_0096.JPG
Before leaving for the horrors of my impending appointment I had enough time to pop my head into the adjacent Walthamstow Wetlands. It’s a popular hangout for the resident population of Cormorant (their big feet really aren’t made for perching)
IMG_0132.JPG
And a Heron took off at the wrong moment, immediately being mobbed by a particularly persistent and angry looking Black-headed Gull.
IMG_0136.JPG
IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0148.JPG
I'm also happy to report my day had a happy ending, the appointment was swift and pain free :D
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More great bird shots Bugboy :D Pick of the bunch for me is the second Treecreeper - bloody hard to capture on film they are as they're so small, seem to send all their time in the canopy and are so mobile :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote:...the Parakeets down here now are about as common as Feral pigeons with several communal roosts numbering into the thousands I believe...
Wow! I bet the local orchard owners aren't amused. Funny that they haven't spread to south Wales yet; our winters are very benign.

Nice work with the Treecreeper, by the way. :D
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks guys, I think I got lucky with that Treecreeper, it seemed to have found something rather interesting in a crevice and stayed there pecking away long enough for me to move around and find the clearest view. It's mate was as fidgety as normal :)

4th November
Finally a day off with good weather and the opportunity to get down to Bookham to check on some immature stages. It certainly had a wintery feel out in the sticks, Jack Frost had been doing the rounds and Brown Hairstreak egg searching had to be left until things had defrosted a bit.
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
Wandering through the wood, heading for the White Admiral nursery, a few birds were getting ready for the day and the Holly was looking very Christmasy.
Blue Tit
Blue Tit
Jackdaw
Jackdaw
Great Tit
Great Tit
IMG_0074.JPG
Good news awaited me, both Pete and Dave were safe and sound, little spikey butts still on show.
Pete
Pete
Dave
Dave
It’s interesting how they don’t seem to retreat fully into the hibernaculum. Nature doesn’t do anything by accident and my own theory is that contrary to what one may think, it protects them from being discovered by hungry birds. If they retreated fully inside then they might leave a dark hole, perfect for a hungry Tit to go nosing around in. The spiny rear end seems to avoid this and blends in with the general dead leaf look.

Now things had warmed up I wandered back to see what eggs I could find, stopping to catch a few more birdies on the way.
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Coal Tit
Coal Tit
Eggs were rather thin on the ground though. I couldn’t find any Purple Hairstreak eggs and only four Brown Hairstreak eggs. My searches are however very much of a casual affair and I’ve realised I really need to have my reading glasses with me now to do these searches, old age is creeping ever closer :lol: !
IMG_0137.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

Good to see my namesake is surviving the winter so far, though I definitely keep myself completely under the duvet, unlike that caterpillar... :wink: :)

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

2019 highlights (part 1)

This year I planned to slow down a bit on my travels. Well I failed with that, once again I was out at every opportunity that (the weather) God gave me. Whilst recovering from minor surgery back in January I’d cheered myself up by booking a short break in southern Spain in March to kick start my season. Global warming/climate change had other ideas though and ridiculous temperatures of 20 degrees in February woke stuff up and I was already up to six species before the end of the month! (although the Peacock and Small White would escaped my camera for a few weeks)
Brimstone male, Bookham Commons.JPG
Comma, Epping Forest.JPG
Red Admiral & Small Tortoiseshell, Tottenham Marshes.JPG

Spain however didn’t disappoint. This was my first foray into continental butterflying and my nine days away gave me lots to point my camera at. twenty two species of which twelve and half were lifers :D (the half being the southern form of the Speckled Wood :wink: ). I thought I had 23 but my Chapmans Green Hairstreak was unfortunately relegated to Green Hairstreak by people far more knowledgeable and experienced than me!
Bath White
Bath White
female Black-eyed Blue
female Black-eyed Blue
male Black-eyed Blue
male Black-eyed Blue
male Cleopatra
male Cleopatra
Geranium Bronze
Geranium Bronze
Green Striped White
Green Striped White
Iberian Scarce Swallowtail
Iberian Scarce Swallowtail
Female Lang's Short-tailed Blue
Female Lang's Short-tailed Blue
Provence Hairstreak
Provence Hairstreak
male Provence Orange-tip
male Provence Orange-tip
Provence Orange-tip male, Marbella.JPG
male Red Underwing Skipper
male Red Underwing Skipper
male Southern Blue
male Southern Blue
Spanish Festoon
Spanish Festoon
Spanish Festoon, Casares #2.JPG
Spanish Festoon, Casares.JPG
Speckled Wood (continental edition)
Speckled Wood (continental edition)
Last edited by bugboy on Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those Festoons and POTs :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Continental butterflying is brilliant 8) I'm glad you counted the 1/2 - that will make my tally (when I get round to it) slightly more respectable :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love your bird shots Bugboy, I've had trouble in my garden feeding the birds, three cats have been a nuisance , plus three young Squirrels taking the food and a couple of Sparrow Hawks circling round haven't helped, they've kept the birds really spooked :(
Goldie :)
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I think that is the most orange Speckled Wood I've ever seen! Very nice :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, those continental Specklies look so different they fully deserve the half point :)
Thanks Goldie. Unfortunately Squirrels and Sparrowhawks are both very quick to learn about a free lunch when we put food out in the garden :?
Thanks Pete. They were all that orange down there, took me a few days to get my head round, kept thinking I was seeing Walls flitting around woodland edges and glades for the first couple of days :lol:

2019 highlights (part 2)

Back in Blighty April arrived and so did some more UK species, adding another nine species to the yearly tally. Local trips gave me plenty of opportunities to catch up with the adult hibernators whilst further afield the springtime Skippers and Green Hairstreaks drew my attention, all with a sprinkling of Pierids and Speckled Wood.
Spring #1.JPG
Dingy Skipper, Denbies Hillside.JPG
Spring #2.JPG
Green Hairstreak, Denbies Hillside #1.JPG
Green Hairstreak, Denbies Hillside #2.JPG
Green Hairstreak, Denbies Hillside #3.JPG
Spring #3.JPG
Pierids.JPG
A real highlight though was coming face to face with a young Common Seal on the River Arun. A youngster who had most likely got lost swimming upstream, silly sausage!
Common Seal, River Arun, Amberley.JPG
May welcomed the silly season. Another eleven species gathered to the tally as I galivanted across southern England. Highlights were swarms of Small Blue and a trip to a legendary hill in Wiltshire to see Marsh Fritillaries for the first time in 4 years.
Adonis Blue male, Cotley Hill.JPG
Marsh Fritillary male, Battlesbury Hillfort.JPG
Marsh Fritillary male, Cotley Hill.JPG
Marsh Fritillary mating, Battlesbury Hillfort.JPG
Small Blues.JPG
Brown Argus, Ivinghoe Beacon.JPG
Wall male, South Downs Way, Eastbourne #8.JPG
Frits.JPG
Of course no May is complete with some Dukes and Duchess’s
Dukes.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Another cracking set of images Bugboy - all of those Small Blues :shock: 8) a right festival that was :mrgreen: Good to see the hill still producing the goods - hopefully 2020 will be a slightly better for them so they'll be even easier to see :wink: :D Is the Wall the ab. anticrassipincta? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

A delightful couple of sequences there, BB. I'm hoping to get out to southern Spain myself next spring and your images provide further incentive.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, I think the Wall is an ab. alberti, anticrassipincta is apparently restricted to females.
Thanks David, good luck in Spain if you make it :)

2019 highlights (part 3)
Moving into meteorological summer, June ended up being a rather cool and somewhat damp affair. Despite the weather I still managed to rack up another fourteen species though. June gap? what June gap! it's becoming more of an extension of the silly season these days. Amongst the commoner species I once again caught up with the Essex Heath Fritillaries, a couple of species of Hairstreaks and the Silver-studded Blue.
Heaths.JPG
Hairstreaks.JPG
Silver-studded Blue male, Fairmile Common.JPG
The meadow-land butterflies started to emerge en-force and a trip to Wrecclesham found plenty of fresh fresh Glanvilles
summer #1.JPG
summer #2.JPG
Glanvilles.JPG
summer #3.JPG
And by the end of the month the woodland butterflies were starting to show well too.
summer #4.JPG
However the standout highlight of June was on the 1st when a day trip to Norfolk provided oodles of British Swallowtails to point my camera at. A few evenings were spent whittling over 900 images down to 250 to keep but that still makes for a brain frying choice to pick out any favs though.
Swallowtail #1.JPG
Swallowtail #2.JPG
Swallowtail #3.JPG
Swallowtail, Hickling Fen.JPG

By July the number of new species to find was running out, only 6 more but the woodland species continued to put on a good show. In particular the Purple Hairstreaks were once again raining from the treetops in the mornings at Bookham, and later broods of the multibrooded species also made their presence felt.
Purple Hairstreak.JPG
Summer #5.JPG
Silver-spotted Skipper female, Box Hill.JPG
summer #6.JPG
summer #7.JPG
Purple Emperors on the other hand (after a couple of vintage years) played hard to get and I only saw males in the treetops. I did however catch up with an Empress loitering around some Sallows towards the end of the month.
Purple Emperor female, Bookham Commons.JPG
other highlights included a visit to Daneway, when a later than usual trip gave several worn females and a single pristine stunner.
Large Blue.JPG
Large Blue female, Daneway Banks.JPG
A wonderfully placid fresh female Dark Green Fritillary
Dark Green Fritillary female, Box Hill #1.JPG
Dark Green Fritillary female, Box Hill #2.JPG
And the many SWF and WA abs, most likely caused by the cool, damp spell in June.
SWF abs.JPG
White Admiral ab. obliterae, Bookham Commons.JPG
trevor

Post by trevor »

I think the Swallowtails were the highlight of 2019, we hit them just right.
But the mrgreen is not reserved for them, but for that gorgeous open wing
male Purple Hairstreak shot :mrgreen: . I saw one posing like that, but it
was the one that got away!.

Have a great Christmas, Paul,
and a happy new Decade.

Trevor.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love your Swallow Tail shots, it's a few years since I've seen them, they brought back lots of Happy memories Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Another cracking selection Bugboy - those abs at the end just seal off the selection - but those Swallowtails :shock: 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Wonderful, BB. You've seen some good stuff this year in the UK, so much so that you must surely be yearning for another trip to the continent in 2020 to further diversify your sightings.

I wish you all the best with it.

Return to “Personal Diaries”