Net Rage

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Re: Net Rage

Post by Gruditch »

Incidentally, criticism of spelling, grammar, use of apostrophes, is always a waste of time. Many are simply typos, but in some cases - eg dyslexia - adverse comments serve no purpose. Although I didn't have to learn that lesson about criticism myself, I have seen others learn it the hard way - and in great embarrassment.

Ring any bells Jack, in this case I never noticed that spell check had changed it. :D

Gruditch
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Ring any bells Jack
needs a question mark.

So the disability of dyeslexia is just one of those things that is accepted (and I totally agree that it should) but the disability of arthritis that prevents certain activities results in cynicism. My inability to use a DSLR is the first time I have ever thought of myself as disabled but now I know better.

Dyslexia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia

Ankylosing spondylitis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankylosing_spondylitis

Look them up and consider yourself lucky that you don't have any problems.

Jack
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

When exactly did I criticise you for not being able to use a DSLR Jack, because I don't actually recall it. And you assume a lot about the state of other peoples health.
Now be a good boy, stop picking fights with me Jack.

Gruditch
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

No, you didn't actually criticise me in person for not being able to use a DSLR. But you are continually dismissive of Compacts without any background appreciation of why some people might have little choice. It is that which has got to me. I do not like being made to feel inferior through absolutely no fault of my own.

And please don't tell me to be a "good boy". It's not the turn of phrase likely to be appreciated by any 69 year old.

Time to end this debate.

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Post Script

We really are a polite lot. It has taken almost four weeks since the start of this thread for REAL Net Rage to emerge. I reckon that's impressive.

Jack
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Hey you two!
If you can't play nicely - don't play at all.
Now you will kiss and make up or I shall bang your heads together and send you both up to bed with no supper.
Am I understood!
I do not want two of my favourite people on this list really falling out!!
Roger
Cheers

Roger
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Roger, I'm sure you would agree, that I have been no more mocking or dismissive in the camera stakes then you have, but Jack seems intent on picking a cowardly fight with ME over the net.

A compact camera is not as good as a DSLR, fact. When someone asks a photography question, IE which camera should I get, are we supposed to skirt around the issue in order to save Jacks sensitive feelings, I think not.
When Jack decided out of the blue to pick this fight with me, I had not, and never had criticised him personally, I had not even been talking about b@@dy compacts. :?

Gruditch
NickB

Post by NickB »

Time-out!
Last word syndrome appears to be rampant!
We can all be rude and abrasive when we want.

Let's save that for those who really deserve it not each other!
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

Talking of compact camera's, I have a Kodak Easyshare P712 and recently a Panasonic DMC-FZ18, the Kodak has been so wonderful I have been able to set up a cottage industry of calendars, I have taken the most beautiful photos of the sea, ok it doesn't take close up very well it is a bit of a struggle, but its not the end of the world, so, bought the Panasonic and a close up lens which cost £66 pounds, I feel my Peacock on the photo gallery is not all bad. I cannot afford a DSLR camera and certainly not the lenes, but I would like you experts to tell me what the heck is wrong my Small Copper picy in the comp, its on the front of my calendar of butterflies and all sorts of people like it so why nil points. :( Shirley
NickB

Post by NickB »

Shirley Roulston wrote:... but I would like you experts to tell me what the heck is wrong my Small Copper picy in the comp, its on the front of my calendar of butterflies and all sorts of people like it so why nil points. :( Shirley
I think we could all have the same sort of questions - such as why dog-pooh makes a better backdrop than a flower for butterfly photography? - and the answer is not that any of the photos are "bad", it is just that personal preferences differ and some of the others ARE better - from a personal point of view the angle of the butterfly does not show it off to the best advantage. (I have solidly supported the nil-points club myself for some time, so I know how it feels! Someone gave a vote this time tho. Thanks!!!!)
With all these things, it is always better to please yourself first; critical acclaim is nice, but not always based on logic or reasons that one can agree with or understand!
And compacts do have advantages (whatever Grudditch may say) in certain circumstances over DSLR's....(and Yes, Eccles, that does include in-body IS! Does the Sony Alpha, by any chance, have such a facility?!)
N
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

....why dog-pooh makes a better backdrop....
You do talk a load of crap at times Nick.

Jack
NickB

Post by NickB »

jackharr wrote:
....why dog-pooh makes a better backdrop....
You do talk a load of crap at times Nick.

Jack
.....You should not expect anything else but bull-shit from an old Taurean!
Susie

Post by Susie »

Even my best are always sh*t. :?

I got far better pictures with the compact, I just can't get the hang of the DSLR. I guess I am just photograpically challenged.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Just a thought - don't know what prompted it - but I was wondering if bald heads can be used for bounce flash? I am of course unable to test the idea myself.

Jack
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Just a thought - don't know what prompted it - but I was wondering if bald heads can be used for bounce flash? I am of course unable to test the idea myself.
Right - don't say I didn't warn you!!!
Bed!
Now!
and don't come down 'till you can behave!
Cheers

Roger
NickB

Post by NickB »

Rosy Rustic wrote:Even my best are always sh*t. :?

I got far better pictures with the compact, I just can't get the hang of the DSLR. I guess I am just photograpically challenged.
I think it is a question of knowing the limitations of each and working with them! I have had to use a monopod as Nikon does not have IS in-body like compacts (and do I hear, Sony, from eccles?!)
N
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Shirley
You were not alone in having an excellent photograph and no votes in this competition.
Gwenhwyfar, Twitcher, Jack Harrison, IAC, Mike W, NickB (v.arty), Polly and Darrel all had pictures that would have been highly placed last year.
Weirdly one of the worst photos I have ever seen of a battered butterfly in a boring composition, unsharp and dull got a vote - what the hell is going on there Annie?
Here is what I think happened this time around.
There were two drop dead pictures that probably attracted 2 votes out of 3 from the majority of people - Gruditch and Fishiee.
This just left the one vote to be distributed amongst a whole host of really good pictures (and some probably voted for themselves?).
Personally my other vote went to an 'outsider' - SimonC with his beautiful study of a nectaring S-sS - I am sure people didn't give it enough of a look - it is a stunner.
Yours, Shirley, is wonderful.
It is moody and 'feminine' - would make a lovely greetings card or similar, but I have to agree with NickB that the butterfly is at an uninspiring angle.
Also, a square format is not eye-catching.
I have taken the liberty of cropping it to a portrait format. I hope you can see an improvement with the subject in the top 1/3rd?
You make take solace in the fact that we KNOW you are an upstanding and honest person who didn't vote for their own snap. Well done!!!
HTH
Roger
Last edited by Rogerdodge on Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

Roger
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

To Rog the Pedant.

If you are going to comment upon my grammar and punctuation, you should make sure you check your own :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Shirley
Sorry - just one more point.
You said-
all sorts of people like it so why nil points
They like it because it is good, it is pretty and pleasing.
However.
When I show my wildlife photos to friends and work colleagues, they always go - "Wow, you really should do this professionally" or "Why don't you sell these - they are great".
They are saying this because (and this is important)-

They don't look (and I mean REALLY LOOK!) at many wildlife photographs.

I do, and so do you, and probably everyone else on this forum, and I know that I am, at best, mediocre.
It also makes us really picky in choosing winning pictures.
This is a good thing.
It raises our game, and makes us better.
Roger
Cheers

Roger
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

To Rog the Pedant.
If you are going to comment upon my grammar and punctuation, you should make sure you check your own :lol: :lol: :lol:
Antonym,
You are very cruel.

I am sitting in my wheelchair, typing this with a stick clenched in my teeth.
My guide dog does his best to proof read, but it is hard for him to see the screen as my iron lung gets in the way.
Ho Hum mustn't grumble.

Roger
Cheers

Roger

Return to “General”