Skippers for ID, please

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Trik

Skippers for ID, please

Post by Trik »

Sorry about this, but I always have difficulty with this type of Skipper, especially if I can't get an underside shot - the differences in the identifying markings are often so subtle.

These are two different butterflies, photographed on 26 September in Catalonia, either in the Pre Pyrenees or Pyrenees. Any help will be much appreciated.
skipper_query_5975.jpg
skipper_query_6007.jpg
Many thanks
Trik
David M

Re: Skippers for ID, please

Post by David M »

Hard to be sure without an underside, but based on the upperwings I'd say most likely is armoricanus.
Trik

Post by Trik »

Thanks, David. I did guess at Oberthur's but isn't end-September a bit late for them?

Trik
David M

Post by David M »

Trik wrote:Thanks, David. I did guess at Oberthur's but isn't end-September a bit late for them?
Flight times vary enormously depending on the latitude and altitude, Trik. This is why Orange Tips can be on the wing in late July in many places in Europe. Abnormally hot conditions may also bring about additional broods.
Trik

Post by Trik »

We were told that the weather was unseasonably hot for late September where we were, so that could explain the lateness of this skipper. Thank you, David.

Trik
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I agree they both look most like armoricanus, which regularly flies into early September in Switzerland. The only real alternative is onopordi, which is present in Cataluña and flies into October. The uppersides of this may be almost as well marked and the general appearance is good. This is a Swiss onopordi:

Without a glimpse of an underside I'm not sure I could be certain either way.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html

Return to “Overseas”