Climate-induced phenology shifts linked to range expansions in species with multiple reproductive cycles per year

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
millerd

Climate-induced phenology shifts linked to range expansions in species with multiple reproductive cycles per year

Post by millerd »

At the end of this link is a very interesting paper, published last week in Nature Communications.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-12479-w
The lead author is Callum Macgregor (CallumMac on UKB). The language is very scientific and not exactly light bedtime reading, but the conclusions are fascinating. There have been a number of discussions here on UKB on the success or otherwise of species squeezing in additional broods, so this paper is a major piece of science to blend with the speculation.

Dave
CallumMac

Re: Climate-induced phenology shifts linked to range expansions in species with multiple reproductive cycles per year

Post by CallumMac »

Many thanks for sharing this, Dave! If anybody is overwhelmed by the technical language, I have also written a hopefully more accessible accompanying piece for The Conversation which summarises the key results:

https://theconversation.com/climate-cha ... ant-125829

I will add that this study, and others like it, are made possible only by the contributions of enthusiasts like yourselves when you submit casual records to BC, and especially those of you that walk a UKBMS transect. Over the last 40-50 years we have built up quite an amazing bank of data in Britain that makes my life as a researcher very easy!
jonhd

Re: Climate-induced phenology shifts linked to range expansions in species with multiple reproductive cycles per year

Post by jonhd »

Excellent paper. (Only just brought to my attention.)

Jon
David M

Post by David M »

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Certainly food for thought. Things are definitely changing climatically and we butterfly enthusiasts are on the front line when it comes to understanding the nuances that are affecting wildlife due to increasingly regular warming events at various times of year.

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”