November 2019

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

November 2019

Post by David M »

Maybe one or two surprises in the early days before the frosts arrive...
millerd

Re: November 2019

Post by millerd »

Only a slight surprise, as I hadn't seen one in recent days amongst the Red Admirals: a single Comma on the ivy in bright sunshine this morning on my local patch before the clouds rolled in once again.
Comma1 031119.JPG
There were also a couple of Red Admirals, one too inaccessible to photograph, and the other a swift flyby.

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

A very pleasant surprise is that, Dave. I'm hoping you'll see a few more Holly Blues before the first frosts set in.
KeithS

Post by KeithS »

A couple of welcome visitors enjoying the last knockings of the Buddleia in my garden today...

David M

Post by David M »

Was surprised to see two different Peacocks yesterday (5th Nov). Although it was mild (13c) and I half expected a Red Admiral or two, I wasn't anticipating Peacocks being around.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Despite the poor weather suffered throughout October, Long-tailed Blues are still being seen in Sussex. On Sunday 3 November, four freshly emerged adults (2m, 2f) were reported from a site in/near Newhaven, and a female was seen at Pagham Harbour. However, the lack of an Indian Summer has undoubtedly deprived us of some spectacular autumn action.
millerd

Post by millerd »

David M wrote:...I'm hoping you'll see a few more Holly Blues before the first frosts set in...
No luck on that score, David, but things aren't quite done yet here.

7th November: three Red Admirals and a Comma this morning on my local patch in bright sunshine but temperatures below 10 degrees.
RA1 071119.JPG
Comma2 071119.JPG
Dave
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

A walk along the seafront at Lancing on the Sussex coast produced 3 Red Admirals. One was laying many eggs in a sheltered spot; one was on the beach and another was flying determinedly north (against the wind).
Red Admiral egg - Lancing, Sussex 8-Nov-2019
Red Admiral egg - Lancing, Sussex 8-Nov-2019
There was also a 4th instar Painted Lady larva in its tent on Common Mallow, which had moulted to 5th instar a few hours later.
Painted Lady larva 4th instar - Lancing, Sussex 8-Nov-2019
Painted Lady larva 4th instar - Lancing, Sussex 8-Nov-2019
The temperature during these observations was 9C in sunny conditions and with a cool northerly wind.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Red Admiral at Holly Hatch Cottage near Fritham in the New Forest today during one of the few sunny intervals - no shots unfortunately as I was 'communing with nature' at the time and my camera doesn't have a hands-free option :oops:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

One Red Admiral on my local patch today (11th). It was a bit high up for more than a shakily hand-held greatly zoomed shot (but at least I did have my hands free... :wink: ).
RA1 111119.JPG
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Two Red Admirals seen in Oystermouth Cemetery, Mumbles, Gower on Sunday 10th. Another seen later in the day at Port Eynon on the coast.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Sighted a Red Admiral in my garden, on Wednesday 13/11/19.
It was basking on the fence...ran inside, grabbed my camera...battery dead!!!...back inside, got a charged battery, went back out into the garden.........butterfly was gone!! :roll:
millerd

Post by millerd »

After a very wet start to Wednesday 27th November, at around 0930 the sun came out and it became quite warm. I set off for a walk around my local patch near to Heathrow before the clouds inevitably gathered again. Almost immediately, I found a basking Red Admiral.
RA1 271119.JPG
A few metres further on, something silvery fluttered across my vision and then down onto the grass - yes, it was a very late (even for the third brood and for my exacting standards) Holly Blue. I think it was a male, and certainly it was very restless and soon took off before opening up.
HB2 271119.JPG
Dave
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

A walk along the seafront at Lancing today produced three Painted Lady larvae (all 5th instars). Two were basking on their Mallow foodplant and the other was on a wall. The first one is the same individual seen moulting to 5th instar on 8th November.
Painted Lady larva #1 (5th instar) - Lancing, Sussex 28-Nov-2019
Painted Lady larva #1 (5th instar) - Lancing, Sussex 28-Nov-2019
Painted Lady larva #2 (5th instar) - Lancing, Sussex 28-Nov-2019
Painted Lady larva #2 (5th instar) - Lancing, Sussex 28-Nov-2019
Painted Lady larva #1 on Mallow - Lancing, Sussex 28-Nov-2019
Painted Lady larva #1 on Mallow - Lancing, Sussex 28-Nov-2019
Habitat context - Lancing seafront 28-Nov-2019
Habitat context - Lancing seafront 28-Nov-2019
Painted Lady larva #3 (5th instar) - Lancing, Sussex 28-Nov-2019
Painted Lady larva #3 (5th instar) - Lancing, Sussex 28-Nov-2019
They have survived thus far because they are in very sheltered locations, but are unlikely to complete their development (particularly #2 which is clearly injured).

There was also a 5th instar Small White larva and a Ruby Tiger caterpillar (also both on walls). The White may reach pupation if it's lucky, while the Ruby Tiger will go into hibernation.
Small White larva 5th instar - Lancing, Sussex 28-Nov-2019
Small White larva 5th instar - Lancing, Sussex 28-Nov-2019
The temperature at the time was 11C in sunny conditions and all the larvae were taking the opportunity to get some warmth.

Vince
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:...A few metres further on, something silvery fluttered across my vision and then down onto the grass - yes, it was a very late (even for the third brood and for my exacting standards) Holly Blue.
Even a Red Admiral is good going for late November, Dave...but a Holly Blue!!?!!

Fantastic sighting.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

No holly blues in my garden - and indeed no butterflies at all in November until today, when a female red admiral took advantage of the sun to hang around maturing her eggs (I presume). I took this GIF with my iPhone:

She then indicated her voting intentions by sitting on the fence:

She remained like that, with her wings closed. If the fine weather continues she will probably start laying eggs all over the place soon.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Padfield wrote:...I took this GIF with my iPhone
Nice effort, Guy. I like the presentation. :)

Return to “Sightings”