Comma - Favourite Photo of 2019

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 3

As the clocks have turned back and there are still several months until the Solstice the chances of seeing butterflies are declining quite rapidly – but cheer up as the Favourites thread is only just getting going!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.
Here we got then!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
petesmith

Re: Comma - Favourite Photo of 2019

Post by petesmith »

My two favourite Comma photo's from this year - an aberration caught on my phone camera, and an underside with the light nicely showing off the green colouration on this fresh example.
Comma ab.JPG
Comma unds.JPG
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

My favourite Comma photograph brings back memories of the February heatwave when I was working in the woods in 20 degrees. Brimstones, Commas and Orange Underwing moths were out in force and not much work was done that day. Downland boy.

http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
Comma (m) 25.2.19 Bedgebury_ Kent. Nigel Kemp0001.JPG
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I also have two photo's of Comma's, one still makes me wonder how it got the marks on it's wings, (photo taken in Blean Woods Kent) on 21st July and the other one taken in ( my Garden) on 24th August shows the contrast between the two :? : Goldie :D
Attachments
Comma 24th August My Garden
Comma 24th August My Garden
Comma 21st July Blean Woods Kent
Comma 21st July Blean Woods Kent
David M

Post by David M »

petesmith wrote:...an aberration caught on my phone camera..
What an insect! Thank God for mobile phone imaging!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Commas seemed a bit thin on the ground around my patch this year although they showed up everywhere that I would expect them to, just in fewer numbers than the previous couple of years.
Having said that, a couple of Commas, along with a couple of Small Tortoiseshells, provided me with my first ever February butterflies around here.
Comma - Wagon Lane Solihull 22.02.2019
Comma - Wagon Lane Solihull 22.02.2019
And one from later in the summer.
Comma - Castle Hills Solihull 21.07.2019
Comma - Castle Hills Solihull 21.07.2019
Cheers,

Neil.
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

I can't compete with that amazing aberration! I did alright for normal-looking Commas this year, though I didn't take a better photo after 25th March, when the first individual of the year appeared on Walmgate Stray.
IMG_3882.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

My favourite Commas always come from the splendidly coloured hutchinsoni summer brood. They appear in midsummer, and this year the peak of emergence was 27th June when I found 13 on my local patch. Here are a few of those.
Comma5 270619.JPG
Comma16 270619.JPG
Comma11 270619.JPG
Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I find Comma's particularly photogenic all season, the flash of bright orange on a crisp early spring day, the gaudy summer hutchinsoni and then blending in with the autumnal palette but for me this year, the most memorable Comma moment was when I witnessed a pupae being parasitised by a Pimpla Ichneumon wasp, gruesome but fascinating.
Comma.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

This is possibly Britain's finest poseur, so with a multitude of images, it's hard to pick favourites.

Two late season shots (8 Sept) from West Williamston in Pembrokeshire are as good as any I took in 2019:
1Comma1(1).jpg
1Commauns(1).jpg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I was very pleased to find this early Comma, basking in the sunshine on the warm sandstone cliffs of Dry Sandford Pit, in Cothill, Oxon.
Dry Sandford Pit, Oxon - 24th Feb. 2019<br />Olympus E-M5 with 100-400mm lens - 1/800s@f/10 ISO640
Dry Sandford Pit, Oxon - 24th Feb. 2019
Olympus E-M5 with 100-400mm lens - 1/800s@f/10 ISO640
Mike
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Comma

Despite seeing plenty of Commas this year which could easily have fitted into the category of ‘Favourite’ I actually chose this one. It was taken at Stourhead in the third week of October and thus far is therefore my final Comma of 2019. The reason I chose it? Because of the incongruity of the shot. It’s sitting on the leaf of a Banana bush suggesting balmy temperatures and summer yet it was taken on a damp Autumn afternoon and I had a bit of job taking the shot as I couldn’t feel my fingers despite wearing my gloves!
DSC_0272 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Two Autumn Commas ,both from Orlestone (Kent ) the one looking down a ride towards the road I really like ,despite
being not in good focus. The other was a real beauty …………………...and my pic doesn,t really do it justice ,but anyway its another favourite.
Regards Allan.W.
P1120195.JPG
P1110933.JPG
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

August 9th, on Devil's-bit Scabious (DBS), Southrey Wood, Lincolnshire.
August 9th, on Devil's-bit Scabious (DBS), Southrey Wood, Lincolnshire.
"This one was with my iPhone, my favourite because most of this native DBS "flower share" was in focus, on a day when my Wife and I also independently discovered Silver-washed Fritillary in Southrey Wood, which had been absent there for a long time, prior to 2019.

I had a request. I would have liked to see an undisturbed Comma in woodland hibernation picture, as Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshell were much easier to find, often using our buildings or structures.
Kind Regards,
Medard

Post by Medard »

A contribution from La Brenne, France.
JUI_0747 3x2.jpg
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/p22 ... #hdbecfb2f

Return to “Comma”