Dingy Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2019

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 4

We seem to be flying through the weeks! It feels like only yesterday that I was launching the Favourites Thread – which is great, not because I condone wishing your life away, but because it means the 2020 season will kick off all the sooner!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Rosalyn

Re: Dingy Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2019

Post by Rosalyn »

I used to travel to Newmarket for Dingy Skipper but a I found out a very few years ago I could find them 5 minutes up the road :D
Dingy Skipper0102.jpg
Norman Cross, Cambs 4th May
David M

Post by David M »

Having largely ignored this species in recent years, I resolved to pay them due attention for at least one day in 2019. That day was 10 May on some waste ground opposite my workplace:
1Dingy2(1).jpg
1Dingy3(1).jpg
1Dingy1(1).jpg
1Dingy4(1).jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Couldn't decide between a mating pair I found at Ivinghoe Beacon or a single one I found at Abbots wood (first time I've seen one there) so I stuck them together
Dingy Skipper.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

This little poser was also the first Dingy Skipper *ever* recorded in the University of York haymeadow, created a few years back as part of a conservation area on the new East Campus. My excitement at finding it paled into insignificance compared to the excitement of those responsible for the meadow's creation when I reported the sighting! I went back next day to find two individuals - we hope this is a genuine colonisation.
IMG_1791.CR2.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Dingy Skipper

This was taken at the Devenish towards the middle of their flight in mid-May. I was checking out the reserve and hoping to find both the Skippers with my daughters. This little chappy was my favourite butterfly of the day and eventually became my favourite for this species as it reminds me of a grizzled old man, somewhat like Gandalf for some reason and when I see the image with that in mind it always brings a smile to my face.
DSC_1590 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

In early May we visited Bishops Hill in South Warwickshire but just as we arrived the weather deteriorated into a dull and gloomy afternoon with a cold wind. No butterflies were flying in these conditions but a quick search produced a couple of settled Dingy Skippers, one of which provided my favourite shot of the species this year.
Dingy Skipper - Bishops Hill 06.05.2019
Dingy Skipper - Bishops Hill 06.05.2019
A return visit in much better conditions the following weekend produced lots more,
Dingy Skipper - Bishops Hill 12.05.2019
Dingy Skipper - Bishops Hill 12.05.2019
Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Fewer pictures to sort through than usual this year for some reason. I did find a mating pair, however, not a particularly common sight for me - this was at Martin Down on a hugely productive May day (12th) which had also taken in Bentley Wood.
DS pair1 120519.JPG
I also like this individual seen amongst myriads of Small Blues at Hutchinson's Bank on 22nd of the same month.
DS1 220519.JPG
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote:Couldn't decide between a mating pair I found at Ivinghoe Beacon or a single one I found at Abbots wood (first time I've seen one there) so I stuck them together...
A mating pair is good, BB. I've only ever seen this species in cop a handful of times so it's not a commonly seen event.

Return to “Dingy Skipper”