Chalkhill Blue - Favourite Photo of 2019

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 2

Here we go for round two – it seems like only last week that I started this years’ Favourite thread – where does the time go eh? :wink:

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Last edited by Wurzel on Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldie M

Re: Chalkhill Blue - Favourite Photo of 2019

Post by Goldie M »

I saw my Chalkhill Blue whilst visiting the White Cliffs of Dover on the 16th Of July , I was lucky has it landed not too far away from me and the weather was perfect, warm and not too windy. Goldie :D
Attachments
EDAB7177-E40E-4F73-9018-98DFD4EA77C0_1_201_a.jpeg
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

No shortage of candidates for this topic. I visited Therfield Heath in late July and found several pairs mating. Periodically the male in this pair opened his wings showing his beautiful pale blue wings that contrast well with the brown underside of his mate.
Attachments
Chalkhill Blues
Chalkhill Blues
David M

Post by David M »

A shocking absentee from my UK species list in 2019! Normally I get to see a few in Europe but they eluded me this year.

I look forward to seeing the best everyone else saw in 2019.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Large numbers again this season at my (fairly !) local favourite Chalkhill site Lydden / Temple Ewell NNR , near Dover
and many unusual individuals on the wing as well ,the aberration with unspotted underwings were actually fairly frequent ,and I came across 5
in one short early morning visit ,many years ago the old collectors seemed to find plenty of abberations with striated underwings (and forewings )
but I,ve yet to see one . the female open wing shot is ( I believe )close to a minor AB. ab;Albomaculae.
P1110580.JPG
P1110426.JPG
P1110096.JPG
Regards Allan.W.
millerd

Post by millerd »

As Allan mentions above, the Victorians catalogued a huge variety of different forms and variations of this species. It's easy to see why - the females in particular appear in many colour forms. Here is a selection of favourites:
15th July: Denbies Hillside
15th July: Denbies Hillside
1st August: Denbies Hillside
3rd August: Aston Rowant
3rd August: Aston Rowant
Finally, an underside showing the variety with "silver studs".
Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I came across several mating pairs this year but this pairing is the one that sticks in my mind due to the very well marked 'silver studs' of the female, visible from a fair distance!
Chalkhill Blue mating (female ab.), Box Hill.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

The only time I saw Chalkhill Blues in good condition this year was during a trip down to Aston Rowant in late July when they were flying in good numbers.
Chalkhill Blue - Aston Rowant 29.07.2019
I also saw a few still hanging on at Bindon Hill when we were down in Dorset in early September but those were all looking worse for wear by then.

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

That's a lovely specimen, Neil, almost metallic with an unusual dark sheen on the forewings.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Chalkhill Blue

Back on the 26th July I was lucky enough to get out to Martin Down. As previously mentioned on my Brostreak Fave introduction my season went a bit funny during the end of July with things not panning out as they normally did and so I was running a bit behind with ticking off species from my Yearly Tally. Chalkhill Blues were one of those species but on this trip I rectified that with my first of the season. This was one of the Chalkhills that I saw and stood out for me as it looked so gorgeous and fresh – so much so that from a certain angle it appeared almost white in colour as the light refracted from it. As I watched it it threw various poses and this was my favourite of the bunch.
DSC_2906 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

As much as I struggled with Adonis Blue this year, I did fine for Chalkhills - the quirks of phenology when you only infrequently visit the south! The freshest individuals were on an early-morning visit to Denbies Hillside on 11th August.
IMG_6967.CR2.jpg
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

It was very windy in August. This was a visit to Aston Rowant on 11th. I was lucky to get anything really.
Chalkhill Blue_0126.jpg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

It was a cool and breezy day when I visited Bald Hill, at the western end of the Aston Rowant reserve, on 8th August, with the principal aim of finding Frog Orchids (successful). Butterflies seemed few and far between but I eventually spotted a few Chalkhill Blues, hunkered down against the wind.

I was pleased to see them and Bald Hill is a haven of peace from the roar of the traffic which imposes itself on the other end of the Aston Rowant reserve, by the M40.
Bald Hill, Aston Rowant NNR - 8th Aug. 2019<br />Olympus E-M1 Mk.ii with 100-400mm lens - 1/800s@f/11 ISO640
Bald Hill, Aston Rowant NNR - 8th Aug. 2019
Olympus E-M1 Mk.ii with 100-400mm lens - 1/800s@f/11 ISO640
Mike

Return to “Chalkhill Blue”