Clouded Yellow - Favourite Photo of 2019

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 3

As the clocks have turned back and there are still several months until the Solstice the chances of seeing butterflies are declining quite rapidly – but cheer up as the Favourites thread is only just getting going!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.
Here we got then!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Clouded Yellow - Favourite Photo of 2019

Post by millerd »

I think two examples from Yorkshire qualify first of all - one from Kiplingcotes (because it was the first of the season and a complete surprise)...
27th August
27th August
...and another from the small group flying near Ripon (because of the unusual location).
29th August
29th August
In addition I have to include the only one seen this year on my local patch, which was a very fresh female.
22nd September
22nd September
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Pleased to say that I managed to see a handful in the UK this year, as well as the several hundred overseas.

At least 4 individuals spotted, all of which were at Port Eynon on the south Gower coast in mid to late September:
1CYmale(1).jpg
1CYfemale2(1).jpg
1CYmale3(1).jpg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

After finding my earliest ever Cloudy , on a red letter day at Samphire Ho! (Dover ) on the 14th April , I didn,t see any more until late summer / early Autumn ,when a few turned up at Dungeness ,and again at Samphire Ho ! but curiously never saw any ,at probably my best local (ish) site ,the normally reliable Reculver . Also saw a few singletons in Orlestone forest (near Hamstreet ) ,where this picture was taken, on the
ever reliable ,late season butterfly nectar source ………….Devils -Bit Scabious .
Regards Allan.W.
P1120130.JPG
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

We were lucky at Hutchinsons Bank this year, had a pair in the cutting in early July, and plenty of Offspring around into late October.

here are a few EU migrant pictures in the Brexit season.
Clouded Yellow.JPG
DSC06843cs.JPG
46b CY & LTB on Small Scabious, Hutchinson's Bank, Oct; Martin Wills (Medium).JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

As is often the case for me I caught up with a few Clouded Yellows during our early September visit to Dorset this year with both Osmington and Durdle Door once again providing photo opportunities, both sites on the same day when passing clouds slowed them down a bit.
Clouded Yellow - Durdle Door 04.09.2019
Clouded Yellow - Durdle Door 04.09.2019
Clouded Yellow - Osmington 04.09.2019
Clouded Yellow - Osmington 04.09.2019
Cheers,

Neil.
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

Mine, like Millerd's, comes from the small group that appeared unexpectedly at Ripon City Wetlands. I visited on 26th August when there were probably around 5 or 6 flying.
IMG_8841.CR2.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Mine comes from a very memorable day not so long ago when I only photographed two butterflies, the other was a pristine LTB. I like the added addition of the basking fly :)
Clouded Yellow male, Newhaven Tidemills.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Clouded Yellow

This was my favourite and was taken on the third of my three UK ‘run-ins’ with this species this year. It was taken at Martin Down and it my favourite because of the way the light shines through the fore wing making such a vivid yellow colour. This butterfly had actually seen better days and when looked at side on was quite pale and worn, yet with a little bit of backlighting it turned into a glorious sight to behold!
DSC_0631 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Clouded Yellow”