Painted Lady in the sahara

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Edward_P

Painted Lady in the sahara

Post by Edward_P »

Of interest as some might be progeny of some of the UK ones this summer. I am just back from Mauritania where there are tens of thousands of Painted Lady. All over Nouakchott, the capital, and up in the desert near Banc D'Arguin National Park they were under every tuft of grass. It has been the wettest year since 2013, and the desert is relatively green, so perhaps they are stopping off whereas in drier years they continue south to the sahel.

Couple of images below.
Attachments
1050268.jpg
1050261.jpg
Last edited by Edward_P on Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cambridgeshire butterfly recorder
Medard

Re: Painted Lady in the sahara

Post by Medard »

At 15-30 this afternoon in my garden here in Somerset far from the Sahara, a magnificent painted lady,I think its a gentelman ?, could this be from one of  three I had early this and seen 20-10-2019
SEP_2269.JPG
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com
David M

Post by David M »

Edward_P wrote:...I am just back from Mauritania where there are tens of thousands of Painted Lady. All over Nouakchott, the capital, and up in the desert near Banc D'Arguin National Park they were under every tuft of grass. It has been the wettest year since 2013, and the desert is relatively green, so perhaps they are stopping off whereas in drier years they continue south to the sahel.
Interesting place to visit, Edward. Seems like Painted Ladies travel just as happily south as they do north.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Very interesting. I was still seeing Painted Ladies up here until about a week ago and I was wondering why they hadn't already started to fly south. It is great to know that the enormous number we have seen here this year has made it back to Africa. I wonder how they will do next year.

Return to “Overseas”