millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

On Wednesday 2nd October, I had once again arranged to meet up with Bugboy down at Tidemills near Newhaven. The weather had changed overnight, the humid warmth of the day before being swept away ahead of a stiff northerly breeze, though there was quite a bit of sunshine. Anywhere in the shelter of the wind felt the benefit of the sun, but down by the seashore such spots were hard to find. We started by walking to the location where there had been such success on 21st September, but the BLEB had largely gone over, and there were no butterflies of any kind. Heading back across Tidemills, the story was the same, except for one brief intake of breath when a female Common Blue bowled along past us.
CB1 021019.JPG
Soon afterwards, I spotted a Clouded Yellow also battling the breeze. However, it managed to find some flowers in the lee of an embankment, and slowed down to get some sustenance. We eventually caught up with it.
CY1 021019.JPG
Having failed to find any Long-tailed Blues down here, Buggy and I embarked upon Plan B, which was to head over to Brighton on the next train and walk up to the TV mast on Whitehawk Hill, the scene of a good number of sightings this year. An hour or so later, after an invigorating slog up from the station, we found ourselves in the company of a host of other UKB folk. They greeted us with the sorry tale that we had missed a new male LTB by a matter of minutes, and after a few conversations everyone dispersed across the hilltop to see if it (or another) could be located. It wasn't long before the shout went up - Mark (Essex Buzzard) had found what we were all looking for. A small crowd gathered, the butterfly opened its wings a bit, and as is traditional blades of grass obscured the best views.
LTB6 021019.JPG
LTB5 021019.JPG
The wings then closed, and the LTB seemed settled in for the duration.The consensus was that Neil should produce his field scissors, and Mark (as finder) volunteered to do a bit of gardening. The task was skilfully accomplished, and clearer views of the target became available - albeit side-on only.
LTB8 021019.JPG
LTB2 021019.JPG
There must have then been a change in the intensity of the sunlight, as gradually the butterfly eased its wings open. There was a palpable rise in the levels of excitement, shutters clicked, and everyone managed some great shots of a beautiful fresh male UK-born Long-tailed Blue.
LTB1 021019.JPG
LTB3 021019.JPG
LTB10 021019.JPG
The butterfly, energised by the sunlight, started to move around a bit.
LTB11 021019.JPG
LTB12 021019.JPG
Suddenly, it was off onto the breeze, and this was my last shot, just after the moment of takeoff.
LTB13 021019.JPG
And that was the last we saw if it.

An excellent day up there on the hill - very sociable indeed and great to meet everyone, plus the bonus of a rare and lovely butterfly. :D

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Amazing how just one butterfly can turn a day around like that :D . Also good to see not all your pictures of that LTB were upside down :lol:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

That's the one I missed, Dave. I heard that a strong UKB contingent was present that day,
and how Mark saved the day by relocating that LTB.
What with Neil's find on Sept 30th, I think most Whitehawk devotees have seen a fresh 2019 LTB.

All we need now is for the weather to settle down!.

Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots Dave, a great narrative and a nice reminder that unlike Swallows and Summer it does only take one butterfly...to make a day :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I reckon if Essex makes it to the Social, so long as there a members present from this outing, he won't need to buy a drink all day :shock: :D :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Love it, Dave! I was on the edge of my seat reading your LTB exploits and I'm so glad you managed to track that one down - it's a lovely specimen.

Not surprised Mr E. Buzzard was the one to locate it - I know from experience that he has a fine pair of eyes!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Buggy - though the butterfly was indeed upside-down (or was it me?) I managed to compensate in various ways. :) All credit to Mark for the deft use of Neil's cutting-edge technology... :)

A shame you weren't there, Trevor - a lot of very satisfied folk came away from Brighton that day. :) The weather since has been unsettled (to put it in temperate language) and the chances of any repeats have been minimal, sadly. :(

Thank you, Wurzel. One butterfly was definitely all it took that day, and one that will stay in the memory for quite a while. Yes, Mark should do well for refreshment at the social: I promised him one before we had left Whitehawk! :)

Many thanks, David - sometimes it's good to tell the whole story of a day, particularly a significant one, just so more of the details stay in the memory. In essence, that day sums up what this hobby is all about really. :)

Follow that - quite impossible... :)

The weather really did now take a turn for the worse (it became typically autumnal in fact). I didn't get out again until some sun shone on my local patch on Sunday 6th October. 17 degrees and five hours of sunshine - not so bad really. Since my last look, species seen and overall numbers had dwindled - except for Red Admirals. This butterfly comes into its own at this time of year, with fresh examples occupying every patch of flowering ivy as soon as the sun comes out.
RA5 061019.JPG
RA13 061019.JPG
ab. fructa (red FW band completely divided)
ab. fructa (red FW band completely divided)
RA4 061019.JPG
RA2 061019.JPG
a very typical local view...
a very typical local view...
I managed a total of ten individuals across various different spots. Also seen today were a Peacock, a Speckled Wood, a Small White and two Commas.
Comma1 061019.JPG
Comma2 061019.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'd forgotten about that particular Red Admiral ab Dave - cheers for the reminder :D Those butterflies are looking in great nick - the Red Admirals look particularly velvety :D :mrgreen: Love the 'typical' shot :shock: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:...Follow that - quite impossible... :)
Probably, yes, but Red Admirals feasting on ivy are quintessentially the last images of autumn I'd expect before things start to drop off.

Mind you, capturing a passenger jet in the same frame isn't something you see very often, so 10/10 for imagination, Dave! :)
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel - more lovely fresh velvety Red Admirals on the way. :)

They are indeed the essence of autumn butterflying for me, David, despite the regular appearance of third brood Holly Blues. :)

I'm glad you both liked the bit of local colour... Not a difficult shot to get if you stand in the right place, as another chance comes along at least every minute or so! :wink:

The next chance to go out locally came on Wednesday 9th October. 16 degrees, four hours of sun and at least 28 butterflies of six species seen today: the majority by far (17 individuals at minimum) were Red Admirals.

The last of the year's Small Whites were still struggling on, with this one repeatedly returning to the very last bit of buddleia flower still available.
SW1 091019.JPG
Four Commas appeared in various places...
Comma4 091019.JPG
Comma5 091019.JPG
Comma10 091019.JPG
...a Peacock again...
PK3 091019.JPG
PK5 091019.JPG
...and a single fresh Painted Lady.
PL6 091019.JPG
PL1 091019.JPG
Of the many Red Admirals it is difficult to choose particular favourites; I have included a couple of bialbata individuals - the degree of prominence of that additional white spot varies quite a bit.
RA2 091019.JPG
RA8 091019.JPG
RA13 091019.JPG
RA6 091019.JPG
RA1 091019.JPG
RA12 091019.JPG
However, last but not least on the species tally were the Holly Blues. I came across two: a female (which I saw twice in slightly different spots), showing notable symmetrical wing damage...
HB1 091019.JPG
HB2 091019.JPG
...and a male, discovered first puddling for salts and then retiring to the trees to rest.
HB4 091019.JPG
HB7 091019.JPG
A very rewarding bit of autumn butterfly colour. :)

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Your diary is one of the ones keeping me going at the moment Dave :D - work is torture and the weather has been terrible I almost can't remember when i saw a real life butterfly :shock: :? I hadn't twigged before this evening when I was sorting through some photos that the white spot on a bialbata shows through onto the underside of the wing as well, as confirmed by your shot :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Hopefully there will be some sunshine soon at a time when you can nip out, Wurzel - there must be a few things left in your neck of the woods. :) I'm glad my sightings are providing some alternative sustenance... :wink: :)

Meanwhile, some more sunshine here on Thursday 10th October lured me out onto my local patch again. Only three species today, but each was well-represented I would say. :) Firstly, some lovely new Commas.
Comma4 101019.JPG
Comma6 101019.JPG
As expected there were lots of Red Admirals again, with today's count reaching 19 - the highest total of the year.
RA6 101019.JPG
RA8 101019.JPG
RA10 101019.JPG
RA11a 101019.JPG
However, species number three deserves pride of place. I had spotted a couple of Holly Blues, probably males, flying high and settling on the tops of the ivy to nectar.
HB2 101019.JPG
Out of the corner of my eye I then caught a glimpse of a small silvery triangle down on the brambles.
HB3 101019.JPG
It eased its wings open a bit in the sunshine, revealing itself to be a female.
HB5 101019.JPG
It took off - but didn't fly very far, landing on a bit of sallow.
HB11 101019.JPG
It was a bit restless, shuffling around before settling down to feed from liquid on the surface of the leaf.
HB12 101019.JPG
Once again, the wings opened...
HB14 101019.JPG
...but as before this was just a preamble to flying off to another spot on a different type of willow.
HB15 101019.JPG
This perch was more breezy than the last two, and I thought chances of further photos might be limited. However, I was wrong. For some reason, the wind caused the butterfly to open its wings again, and during a brief calm spell amid the buffetting, they opened as wide as any I have seen with this species.
HB18 101019.JPG
HB31 101019.JPG
HB29 101019.JPG
HB33 101019.JPG
I count myself very lucky to have been able to spend so much time with such a lovely insect. :D

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

That is one gorgeous female Holly Blue, Dave, and this late in the season!. :mrgreen:

Great stuff!,
Trevor.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

She is a beaut! I'm happy to say I'm still managing to see a few butterflies this week, not quite the wash out it looked like it was going to be but definitely a case of diminishing returns now, although if I come across a Holly Blue like your one in the next few days (or any type of Blue :wink: ) I will very happy indeed!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D I did manage to get out this afternoon but what I saw wasn't a patch on that female Holly Blue - a first rate fu&%$ng stunner to quote a little known song of yore :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That's an absolutely impeccable female Holly Blue, Dave. The black margins on the forewings are really striking, but it's the clean, fresh white underside that really stands out, as if it's just been painted in gloss.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Many thanks to you all for the complimentary remarks about that Holly Blue. :) She was a splendid butterfly, and keeps up the terrific run of third brood sightings here over the last few years. Because the weather is cooler, it's definitely a bit easier to find them open-winged and lower down than second brood individuals. Though there is some variation, third brood females are similar to those of the second, with markedly heavier dark markings than the spring brood.

After those sightings, the next few days consisted of a run of poor weather, but higher temperatures returned on Tuesday 15th October with a bit of that all-important sunshine too. The steady diet locally of Red Admirals (12) and Commas (5) continued (a few days of rain and cloud seem to leave them unaffected) and there was also a rather ancient Speckled Wood fluttering around like a pale wraith.
SpW1 151019.JPG
In addition, I came across two separate Peacocks, continuing evidence of a minor second brood hereabouts.
PK2 151019.JPG
PK4 151019.JPG
The Commas just glow amongst the ivy...
Comma2 151019.JPG
Comma5 151019.JPG
Comma8 151019.JPG
...contrasting with their near relatives...
Comma+RA 2 151019.JPG
...with their beautiful dark velvety texture and striking red banding.
RA4 151019.JPG
RA9 151019.JPG
RA10 151019.JPG
RA15 151019.JPG
RA18 151019.JPG
RA19 151019.JPG
While the ivy flowers, temperatures don't dip too low, and the sun peeps through, there will still be butterflies here.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

16th October was cooler, but if anything a bit sunnier.

I saw an additional species on my local patch, a rather battered Small White. From being the most frequently encountered species for most of the year, numbers really drop off sharply at the tail end of the season.
SW1 161019.JPG
Not so Red Admirals: new ones are still appearing...
bialbata - not as common as usual here this year
bialbata - not as common as usual here this year
the first of the four hindwing spots has a blue centre on this individual
the first of the four hindwing spots has a blue centre on this individual
RA10 161019.JPG
RA7 161019.JPG
RA3 161019.JPG
...alongside those which have seen better days.
double bird-strike
double bird-strike
RA14 161019.JPG
A couple of Commas...
Comma1 161019.JPG
...a very nice Peacock...
PK1 161019.JPG
...and another Speckled Wood...
SpW1 161019.JPG
...made it up to five species flying today.

Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Both Thursday 17th and Friday 18th October had some spells of quite warm sunshine. However, I found that variety had diminished when I went out for my usual local walk, with only one Comma seen each day (plus a brief sighting of a Speckled Wood on 18th).
17th
17th
18th
18th
Aside from that it was Red Admirals all the way...
17th
17th
They were particularly numerous on 18th, with no fewer than 14 individuals seen.
18th: several in view at once
18th: several in view at once
18th: almost ab. fructa
18th: almost ab. fructa
18th: ab. fructa
18th: ab. fructa
18th: a new one
18th: a new one
18th: perhaps even newer, and also nearly ab fructa
18th: perhaps even newer, and also nearly ab fructa
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic set of Admirals Dave with the Commas thrown in for good measure :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I must remember to keep an eye out/pay more attention to Red Admirals as they show some subtle yet interesting sets of variation :D 8) I do like my aberrants :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel - when you are down to pretty well just the one species left in any numbers, you start looking a bit more closely. :) In fact, the red banding patterns on the forewings are very variable and almost every butterfly is slightly different. Looking at this feature, you discover that (perhaps surprisingly) the same butterflies are not necessarily seen in the same spot two days running.

I was down in Somerset for the weekend, and failed to see any Red Admirals at all despite mostly dry weather. On Sunday 20th October my host (an old school chum) and I visited old haunts in Taunton and at one point walked round Vivary Park - which is generally rather too manicured to attract many butterflies. However, someone had thought to plant some verbena bonariensis, which is a great late season nectar source. Sitting happily on this was a fairly fresh Painted Lady.
PL2 201019.JPG
PL3 201019.JPG
PL1 201019.JPG
PL4 201019.JPG
Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”