Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Pauline

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking image Pauline :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8) I wondered how long it would be before a LTB graced your PD :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:..Last but not least a quick update on Violet. After some VERY expensive treatment she seems to have made a full recovery although it is likely she will need more hormone injections before the Spring (seems a long way off!). Here she is with one of her mates, Cloud - Violet is on the right
Excellent news, Pauline, and well done for looking after her so well. She's looking perky and in good health in that image. :)
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I have to ask you Pauline – and please don’t misinterpret my query as implying doing anything wrong – how do you get your early stages? They can't all be those saved from footpaths. Do you take wild eggs, larvae? I would have thought that DG or SW Fritillary for example, would be quite a challenge. Watching the eggs being laid perhaps? Certainly you must have considerable patience. I for one am so pleased that you share your results.
I stick to easy species such as Orange Tip: OT eggs are very easy to find.

Jack
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - a few more images still to come :)

Thank you David - it is always such a worry if one is poorly.

No worries Jack – I’d anticipated this question when I replied to David and if it hadn’t been you it would have been someone else! I could go through each and every species and explain where it (legally) came from! However, I’m not going to – not least because much of it is explained in my diary at the time of rearing. I shall however pick a few out to illustrate the diversity of their origin. Many did indeed come from roadside verges and my garden (a surprising number, and it might surprise you to know that I get SWF and WA in my garden regularly). A few were obtained from various sites having received permission from the appropriate authorities to collect a couple of eggs (I try to take 2 so I have a spare if anything happens to the first). An example of this was the Small Copper. Just in case the butterfly police come calling I have records of the permissions given. Most of the Hairstreaks were indeed found on fallen branches – a thankless task searching for the eggs in bleak weather as I am sure Paul H would confirm. The exception would be the Black Hairstreak – a handful of pupa were purchased for me as a gift from the internet by a well- meaning friend many years ago. The DGF was indeed found crossing a road looking for somewhere to pupate and as I said recently the LTB came from ‘a friend of a friend’ having been laid in his garden. I am not going to name him but I have been told he reads this diary and if he wishes to comment that would be welcome. I think that is explanation enough Jack. Suffice to say there is no single source and yes, it can be difficult and time-consuming so I am pleased you like the end results.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Very much as I might have expected. I have no guilt taking Large White caterpillars from Nasturtiums (a hotel manager was delighted when I asked him if he minded) or Orange Tips by the roadside. But we would all draw the line at protected species. I wouldn’t take Swallowtail caterpillars in UK (illegal in any case) but I used to in Malta where the butterfly is widespread.

As they say, keep up the good work.

Jack
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

A wonderful series of posts since you decided to break your 'hibernation', Pauline. I also see that my prediction from 13th Sep., that you would show LTB photos, has come to pass :)

Mike
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Mike:
...come to pass
Sounds as if you've been reading some ancient texts Mike.

Jack
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Prophesy, Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:That's a very interesting question David - one you may regret asking :wink: I didn't know the answer so I had to look back over the years. I have reared far more than I have observed emerging from the pupa. I thought it might be worth pulling one out from each species primarily for my own interest..
Wow! That's far more than I anticipated...a third of UK species roughly.

Which of those left would you most like to rear?
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Jack, I'll do my best :)

Good to hear from you again Mike and yes, you were absolutely right :D

That's something I'd need to think about David but it's often just a case of 'if the opportunity presents itself'. Perhaps DofB but I'm not sure I'd get permission.

Well, I'm really starting to run out of time now which is the case every Autumn. I'm currently dealing with a domestic oil leak (the insurance company wants to dig up 3 solid floors to find the leak!) and someone drove into my car yesterday in Tesco's car park. She said she didn't hear my horn and even tho' I was stationary she claims it is my fault and was quite abusive so police now involved. Anyway, the upshot is I have been mostly house bound so only have this to offer at the moment, both from the garden. In the Spring I bought 2 new Apple Trees which are loaded with apples - all being eaten by hornets!!!!
P1280913ad.jpg
P1280961ad.jpg
P1280853ad.jpg
Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Hello Pauline,
Sorry to hear of your current strife. I have been catching up with your diary and your emergence sequences are outstanding. I have been thoroughly enjoying them so thanks for posting :D When I look back on all of your postings since entering hibernation, I really am glad that you managed to shake it off and stay awake a bit longer :D
Old Wolf.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry to hear of your woes Pauline :( Car prangs are a right pain and the guilty party never owns up! :evil: Mind you if the Police are involved then at least the insurance companies can't say there are now witnesses and get away with 'knock-for-knock' which counts against your No Claims :roll: Hope fortune favours you soon :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:Just one for today...
Just one would do nicely, Pauline! Do you think you'll be getting to see a few more over the next couple of weeks?
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:...That's something I'd need to think about David but it's often just a case of 'if the opportunity presents itself'. Perhaps DofB but I'm not sure I'd get permission.
No, probably not, but interesting to note nonetheless.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'd like to think I might get a chance to see a few more David but who knows? There's an awful lot going on here and I'm even struggling to find the time to update my diary. I still have several outings I haven't covered and not sure I will.

Cheers Wurzel - things must start to improve soon :)

Thank you for your lovely comment Old Wolf. It really cheered me up after a rotten week. It's hard to believe I've only been out of hibernation about 3 weeks with all that has happened. I hope folk are not bored yet by all the emergence sequences, but I can't get out much at the moment and ......there's no Clouded Yellow on this page - yet! I missed this one emerge as I went indoors to grab a drink and as I came back out I saw the flurry of movement:
P1280030ad.jpg
P1280031ad.jpg
P1280036ad.jpg
P1280044ad.jpg
P1280054ad.jpg
P1280057ad.jpg
P1280065ad.jpg
P1280074ad.jpg
P1280084ad.jpg
P1280090ax.jpg
P1280090add.jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots Pauline, keep it up a bit longer :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:......there's no Clouded Yellow on this page - yet! I missed this one emerge as I went indoors to grab a drink and as I came back out I saw the flurry of movement...
Feel free to include those on any page, Pauline. I'd never get tired of them - a big ray of sunshine on an otherwise gloomy day. :)
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

You were obviously stationary in the wrong place in the wrong car park. May I suggest Sainsbury’s instead? :evil:

Pauline: I have to say that your photos really show the advantages of a bridge camera (now there I am starting an argument with those who have spent £££££ on DSLRs and want to justify that outlay).

As I write this, on my desk is a BC branch bulletin. The front cover has a superb photo with all wingtips and antennae sharp. Clearly it has been taken with a small-sensor camera.

But DSLR’s do have advantages in many situations. A birder in a hide with me yesterday was getting far better photos. Mind you, that is probably because his lens (I nearly said equjipment but I am aware that this is a lady's diary) was so long that he was almost touching the target :evil:
But we both missed the fly-by Kingfisher :(

Jack
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Goldie - I'm doing my best :) but you know how it is here :roll: :roll:

Thank you David :D - others can rest assured that I'm not going to post all 16 emerging! :lol:

I needed something to put a smile on my face so thank you for giving me something to chuckle about Jack :wink: :lol: ...and yes, you're right: wrong place, wrong time :roll:

Catch-up

28 August

A little bit of time to spare today so I managed to fit in a final visit to Noar Hill. No sign of any BH in any shape or form – the eggs I had seen laid previously appear to have been predated :( . The grand total of BH I have seen here this season amount to just 6. I bumped into a couple of members of the Wildlife Trust who said they had also struggled to see any. Much work has already been done here clearing the Hemp Agrimony and much more is planned. Further scrapes will be created to ‘get rid of all the Horseshoe Vetch’. I pointed out that many Small Blue had laid eggs on those plants but not much concern was shown. It will also involve getting rid of some of the blackthorn but I was assured that the plants will be checked for eggs, ‘especially the young ones’. Time will tell.

I was surprised to see a very lively SWF – so lively that I was unable to get close for a shot despite only having half his wings remaining. Even more surprising, it was still there a couple of days later! A very fresh Silver-y moth refused to remain still whilst I got a decent shot and although this Brown Argus tried his best to pose nicely, by now the breeze was picking up. I did see a few lovely Common Blues egg-laying but was it worth the 10 min drive? – I’m not sure.
P1260739ad.jpg
P1260730ad.jpg
P1260716ad.jpg
P1260743ad.jpg
P1260748ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

30 August

A last trip to Thorney Island to see the Painted Ladies. In the same small area as before Painted Lady numbers had reduced since my last visit from a couple of dozen to only about half a dozen or so. A couple of Clouded Yellow were present ever so briefly and the strong breeze from the sea seems ever present, making photography that little more bit difficult. Several Wasp spiders seen – both male and female I believe – one of which held the remains of a Painted Lady in its web.
P1260882ad.jpg
P1260912ad.jpg
P1260870ad.jpg
P1260867ad.jpg
P1260928ad.jpg
Male Wasp Spider or different species?
P1260774ad.jpg
P1260781ad.jpg
P1260764ad.jpg
P1260845ad.jpg
P1260833ad.jpg
P1260850ad.jpg