millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a shame, Mark - something must eat them surely! :)

The change in the weather to what I suppose is actually more seasonal has provided an opportunity to catch up a bit with my diary... Only about a fortnight behind! :)

Wednesday 11th September was another local foray. Overall numbers had unsurprisingly dropped, but there were still 50 or so of 12 species - though nearly half of these were Small Whites.
SW1 110919.JPG
SW2 110919.JPG
Notable today was a nice new Common Blue. A third brood is a regular occurence here, lasting into October most years, so I suspect this one might be the vanguard of that.
CB1 110919.JPG
CB6 110919.JPG
CB12 110919.JPG
CB13 110919.JPG
Brown Argus were more numerous, but not so fresh.
BA2 110919.JPG
BA1a 110919.JPG
BA5 110919.JPG
Red Admiral numbers are building a bit, and there are definitely more around than a year ago.
RA1 110919.JPG
I also found a deep orange-pink Painted Lady that despite being clearly very new had unfortunately already damaged its hindwings slightly.
PL3 110919.JPG
There were a few Specklies...
SpW1 110919.JPG
...and of course the day wouldn't have been complete without a Holly Blue.
HB1 110919.JPG
Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That really is/was a fresh Painted Lady Dave :shock: :mrgreen: The whites in general did seem to have a better second half of the year - hopefully that'll bode well for next spring :D - just glad I don't grow Cabbages :shock: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

The Small Whites in particular have had a good year in these parts, Wurzel. I'm not sure there are many cabbage farmers round here, so I think they do well on all the wild related plants that do grow all over the place. :)

Thursday 12th September ended up as another stay-at-home day. There was a similar mix as on 11th, but with temperatures into the mid-twenties, a somewhat higher total number was seen altogether.
RA+Comma 120919.JPG
SC1 120919.JPG
SH1 120919.JPG
PL1 120919.JPG
Comma2 120919.JPG
SpW2 120919.JPG
There were more of those Box Tree moths: my neighbour's front hedge has been thoroughly attacked. :(
BTM3 120919.JPG
BTM2 120919.JPG
Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

millerd wrote:...The Small Whites in particular have had a good year in these parts...
And around my patch from mid August onwards and they were easily the most numerous butterfly seen during our recent trip to Dorset.

Those Box Moths started turning up in Warwickshire a couple of years ago and I have seen quite few reported from moth traps here this year, but not in mine...yet.

Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I reckon it won't be long before you see this moth as well, Neil. An emergence seems to be underway at the moment, though I'm not sure how they spend the winter.... :(

The weather had turned distinctly summery again now, so on Friday 13th September, I headed up to Aston Rowant to see what remained here at the close of the season. The commonest species flying were probably the Meadow Browns and Small Heaths, with the former actually opening up for once.
MB1 130919.JPG
SH1 130919.JPG
I found a few Silver-spotted Skippers flying still, some of them not looking too bad at all.
SSS1 130919.JPG
SSS2 130919.JPG
Unlike Denbies, there were no Chalkhills left here, and all the Blues I came across appeared to be Adonis, shining electric blue jewels in the grass.
AB1 130919.JPG
AB3 130919.JPG
AB5 130919.JPG
AB7 130919.JPG
However, I spent most of my stay being entertained by two brand new Small Coppers, which were flying close to one another and frequently tussling between bouts of basking in the sunshine. One sported the blue spotting characteristic of form caeruleopunctata...
SC2 130919.JPG
...but the other was just as bright and new.
SC1 130919.JPG
SC12 130919.JPG
I looked back over the hillside as I left the slopes, seeing how dry the landscape appeared to be.
view 130919.JPG
Finally, on the way back to the car, I came across one or two Speckled Woods, plus a Comma, which was typically indulging in fermenting blackberries.
Comma3 130919.JPG
Dave
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

The Adonis butterflies seem to be enjoying the carline thistle which I noticed the Chalkhills also favoured. The Small Heath is displaying a lot more of its underwing than the ones up here!
Janet
millerd

Post by millerd »

Both Chalkills and Adonis seem to like the carline thistles, Janet...
AB+ChB 010919.JPG
They must smell right as there is no purple colour to attract the butterflies (unless they have an ultraviolet signature we can't see but they can!).

Small Heaths (and other browns) tend to flash more forewing underside when they are alert and not fully settled (like when I'm a few centimetres away with a camera for example :) ).

On such a lovely day, I had to go out once again during the afternoon of 13th to my local patch. I do find it interesting that I consistently find both Common Blues and Brown Argus easier to find here than at either Denbies or Aston Rowant - particularly at the tail end of the year.
CB2 130919.JPG
BA1 130919.JPG
The blackberries continue to provide a feast for the usual suspects...
Comma3 130919.JPG
RA1 130919.JPG
...though a close relative doesn't seem interested.
PL1 130919.JPG
The Red Admirals are mostly new...
RA2 130919.JPG
...and Small Whites still the most frequent species to be found.
SW1 130919.JPG
Close to home, the neighbour's box hedge continued to erupt moths, and today I managed to find one of the darker variant. This has a violet/purple iridescence at certain angles to the light (sound familiar? :) ) and seems to crop up about one in five or six individuals.
BTM2 130919.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

The weather continued glorious for the weekend of 14th and 15th September - the latter day was particularly warm. However, I spent most of both days in Central London for a concert, so only managed a short walk later on the Sunday. The Lycaenid species on my local patch are currently mostly concentrated in one area on the edge of where the field has been cut...
habitat 150919.JPG
Today they were joined by a Small Copper.
SC2 150919.JPG
SC3 150919.JPG
BA1 150919.JPG
CB1 150919.JPG
CB2 150919.JPG
Near home, there was another of the "normal" version of the Box Tree Moth.
BTM2 150919.JPG
Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

The Box Tree Moth, although a pest, is certainly beautiful, lovely image, Dave.
Still some action around your local patch, lets hope the weather improves soon!.
I feel a bit redundant at the moment.

Great stuff, as usual.
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to see those Silver Spots still looking good. :D :mrgreen: That dark form of the Box Moth is cracking looking- a pity it's a pest :( Our flora is certainly having a tough time - Elm, Ash diseases; Oak Processionary and Box Moths, rampaging Himilayan Balsam choking and smothering everything and to top it all I read today that Horse Cheatnut is in danger of extinction :( :( Looks like we might have to learn to love the imvaders :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

I'm with you on the weather, Trevor. There's still a few things flying here when the sun comes out briefly, but the next time we're due for proper sunshine there's a good chance a touch of frost will come with it... :(

Well Wurzel, we all seem to love some of the invaders - LTBs are pretty popular at the moment. :) Imagine if they arrived in numbers earlier in the year and set about eating everybody's peas, sweet peas and broad beans. I wonder what the reaction to that would be. :? :) :wink:

Mostly cloudy on 16th September, but still quite warm. A shorter local walk today:
RA1 160919.JPG
SpW1 160919.JPG
More of those moths - including another dark one today.
Standard version
Standard version
Underside
Underside
The Dark Side: Did it think it was camouflaged on the car?
The Dark Side: Did it think it was camouflaged on the car?
Back on the hedge
Back on the hedge
Dave
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Interesting shots of the dark form of the Box Tree moth Dave. I only saw the one earlier in the year, normal form, and my first impression was that it was a very attractive moth but perhaps the dark form is more so. I was surprised to learn the extent of the damage it can do. I was about to ask what the larva look like but I guess I can go and look that up.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"I wonder what the reaction to that would be. :? :) :wink:" I reckon that some would be out there with the spray :roll: :( That dark is very striking - almost reminiscent of a Purple Hairstreak :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

I found some caterpillar images online, Pauline, so I know what to look for. Nothing spectacular. However, there's a lot of interesting stuff about the spread of this species and how to go about controlling it.

The dark ones are very reminiscent of Purple Hairstreaks, Wurzel. :) There's sometimes a hint of the violet sheen on the fresh ones of the ordinary form as well, along the dark borders.

After a "blank" day on 17th, I had another local ramble on Wednesday 18th September. Nearly 50 butterflies of nine species - not too bad for the time of year. Some new Common Blues...
CB1 180919.JPG
CB4 180919.JPG
CB5 180919.JPG
CB7 180919.JPG
...weary Brown Argus...
BA2 180919.JPG
....still many Small Whites...
SW1 180919.JPG
...a Painted Lady of course...
PL1 180919.JPG
...and a Holly Blue, thinking about laying an egg or two on the ivy. A pity she wasn't new - she seemed to be somewhat lacking in the usual complement of underside spots.
HB1 180919.JPG
HB2 180919.JPG
Best of all today were a selection of Small Coppers, including one splendid fresh one.
SC4 180919.JPG
SC2 180919.JPG
I also had a brief side trip to Bedfont Lakes Country Park, to look at the patch of Everlasting Pea. It looked to be thriving, but was totally undamaged by any chomping caterpillars and was bereft of eggs.
BLEP @ BFL 180919.JPG
Still, we are 50 miles from the south coast here. :wink: :)

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those are some really fresh Common Blues Dave :D :mrgreen: I love seeing them like that - the neat margins look like they're sewn out of mithril 8) :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Interesting that you're seeing several of the 'dark' form of Box moth, Dave. I don't recall seeing any of these amongst the multi-thousands during my French Alps trips. Perhaps I wasn't paying them enough attention?

Further to the comments earlier regarding predation, in spite of the huge numbers on the wing in France, I have never seen the local house martins make any attempt to take them. Perhaps they are distasteful?
millerd

Post by millerd »

There were actually more fresh Common Blues at home today, Wurzel, but you won't get to see those for a few days... :) The later ones never seem to have the depth of colour the first brood have and seem somehow more transparent.

The background info I've seen about the incidence of the dark form of the BTM, David, roughly corresponds with my own observations - about 10-20% of individuals. It appears that either the larvae are distasteful to birds, or that they haven't yet learned to find them! :)

I now realise that Tuesday 17th September wasn't blank at all - I actually went on the first of three trips down to Sussex and had a look at High & Over for Walls. It was very sunny, and they were their usual active selves - I saw half a dozen in their usual haunts, and also walked out along the ridge and part of the trackway known as The Comp, where I found another couple - they were outnumbered here by Speckled Woods. Also seen were Red Admirals, Commas, Small Coppers, Common Blues, Brown Argus and Large and Small Whites.
RA1 170919.JPG
SpW1 170919.JPG
SC1 170919.JPG
The Walls were a nightmare to photograph, and this was the best I could manage.
Wall1 170919.JPG
Wall3 170919.JPG
Wall4 170919.JPG
Wall8 170919.JPG
Wall5 170919.JPG
It was later than I intended when I set off home, and unbeknownst to me I sailed past a patch of BLEP en route that was going to prove very interesting a few days later... :)

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

It's good to see that you enjoyed a keep fit session with the High and over Walls, Dave.
They were livelier than usual on my last visit. How many times did you have one
lined up in the view finder only for it to escape just as you clicked!.

Your last image was worth all the effort. :D

Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking images Dave - good to see the results after the thrill of the chase offered by the Walls :D :mrgreen: They should carry the title of the most health improving butterfly due to how much work you often have to do to come away with any shots! Mind you I suppose the health benefits of the exercise will be negated by the stress and frustration of all those times that they escape your lens :roll: :lol: Perhaps the most curse inducing butterfly would be better? :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, chaps, there was a lot of brisk walking and a fair amount of dark muttering under the breath as far as the Walls were concerned. There was indeed mild cursing, Wurzel... :) I didn't mention that I saw two sets of courtship where the enamoured couple dived into the hedge and disappeared, plus one other where the pair flew way off down the hillside towards the sea. Those were fairly frustrating moments too... :) Considering how obliging that Speckled Wood was, the Walls just seem to be deliberately contrary. At least when settled with wings closed they were a bit more approachable, and I was quite pleased with that final shot too, Trevor. :)

On Thursday 19th September, with continuing decent weather, the Sussex coast beckoned again so this time I went for the Southwick Basin/Mill Hill combo.

At Southwick, I was immediately greeted by a Clouded Yellow. However, it didn't prove paricularly amenable, and after a couple of relatively distant approaches, it sailed off over the top of the slope and disappeared inland.
CY1 190919.JPG
CY2 190919.JPG
I then thoroughly checked the various clumps of BLEP (judging by the slightly trampled vegetation I wasn't the first to have done this in recent days) but there was no sign of any Long-tailed Blues at any stage of their lives. However, there were a few Common Blues, a brand new Brown Argus, a Small Copper, Large and Small Whites, Painted Ladies, Red Admirals and a Peacock.
CB1 190919.JPG
BA2 190919.JPG
BA1 190919.JPG
LW1 190919.JPG
RA2 190919.JPG
Having exhausted the possibilities of this relatively small site, I moved on to Mill Hill. Remembering the late season bounty that stretched well into October last year, late September of 2019 was a bit disappointing, with noticeably fewer butterflies in all parts, even in the well-known sheltered hotspot NW corner. Common, Adonis and Chalkhill Blues were all present, with the first of these sporting some new third brood examples.
CB3 190919.JPG
The other two species were distinctly worn.
ChB1 190919.JPG
AB1 190919.JPG
Also seen were Small Heaths, Meadow Browns, a few Whites, Painted Ladies and Red Admirals. There were a couple of male Clouded Yellows too, but they failed to stop anywhere nearby at all, despite regular patrols of the lower slopes. A look around the area at the top of the hill, near the car park, paid off more handsomely, as a number of reasonably fresh Walls were flying. The species in this spot seems more relaxed than at High & Over and photos were a bit easier to come by.
Wall2 190919.JPG
Wall5 190919.JPG
Wall6 190919.JPG
Wall8a 190919.JPG
Wall11 190919.JPG
Wall4 190919.JPG
A view looking north.
view 190919.JPG
One more Sussex trip this week, a couple of days later...

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”