Osiris Blue larvae and ants.

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Nigel Kiteley

Osiris Blue larvae and ants.

Post by Nigel Kiteley »

During a trip to the French Alps at the end of June last year myself and my partner Kasia, ( ukb member acheronita ) came across two lycaenidae larvae being tended to by ants. The larvae were feeding on Sainfoin on the edge of a meadow in the village of Le Villars near Roubion.

After doing some research I believe the larvae were Osiris Blue ( Cupido osiris ) larvae, whose only hostplant is Sainfoin. We did find a worn male Osiris Blue in the same meadow and this would tie in as I believe the end of June is very late in the flight season for this species in this area.

Below are four images showing the interaction between the larvae and the ants.
Cat and Ant ukb.jpg
Cat and Ant4ukb.jpg
Cat and Ant2ukb.jpg
Cat and Ant3ukb.jpg
Tony Moore

Re: Osiris Blue larvae and ants.

Post by Tony Moore »

Terrific Stuff!

Tony M.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Amazing pictures and observations. The literature says that Osiris blue caterpillars are frequently to be found attended by one or two ants but I have to say in all my time in Switzerland I never even found the larvae let alone see them with their chaperones.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Magnificent, Nigel. I'm sure such images would be perfect for Pete Eeles' new book, Life Cycles of the Butterflies of France. :D
Nigel Kiteley

Post by Nigel Kiteley »

Thanks very much for the feedback Tony, Guy, and David.
David M wrote:Magnificent, Nigel. I'm sure such images would be perfect for Pete Eeles' new book, Life Cycles of the Butterflies of France. :D
That would be really something David :D .

Return to “Overseas”