Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Katrina

Re: Trevor

Post by Katrina »

Encouraging selection of fresh butterflies there, good work Trevor!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More cracking photos Trevor - the Small Coppers et al all look brilliant on the amuve background and the SC on the orange flower is a cracking image :D :mrgreen: Coffee and cake is definitely one of the best ways to round off some exhausting butterflying :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That Copper sequence is Hoggers-esque, Trevor! :)

Nice to still see Peacocks in September too. Round my way, they seem to vanish by late August, and you're lucky if you see more than a couple of singletons before the season is out. :(
trevor

Post by trevor »

This morning I drove over to Tide Mils via High and Over.
At H&O the Wall Browns were very lively, despite the lack of much sunshine.
Maybe the temperature of 22c was enough to keep them active.
Some fresh males were seen, including one that had clearly had been attacked by a Bird,
suffering much wing loss, but again still very lively.
At Tide Mills all was quiet, no Clouded Yellows or LTB, but another male Wall Brown
gave me a little more exercise, before finally settling for a shot.

On the way back to the car I managed a distant shot of a solitary Egret.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1390440.JPG
Fresh but badly damaged.
Fresh but badly damaged.
Tide Mills Wall Brown.
Tide Mills Wall Brown.
P1390452.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

More lovely looking Walls, Trevor. I think an excursion to Sussex this week is a must. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The first and third Walls are great looking Trevor :D :mrgreen: I do feel a bit sorry for the second - it's looks like it's had a run in with the 'scissor beak' bird :shock: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Wall shots Trevor, they seem to have had a good year this year. :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

I really should keep my eyes out for Wall Browns near the coast round my way, Trevor. Those you found appear to be in good nick so next time I'm out I'll be on my guard.
trevor

Post by trevor »

This afternoon I returned to Herstmonceux Castle specifically to see how the Small Coppers were getting on.
There were many flying, some fresh, some worn.
Unlike yesterday's failed trip to find some Long Tailed Blues, the plentiful Coppers provided many photo opps.

Unfortunately the two large clumps of BLEP in the grounds have been ' tidied ' up since my last visit.

Trevor.

Many thanks everyone for your comments on the Wall Browns.
Attachments
P1390487.JPG
P1390473.JPG
P1390534.JPG
P1390529.JPG
P1390520.JPG
P1390536.JPG
P1390544.JPG
P1390500.JPG
One of many fresh Large Whites.
One of many fresh Large Whites.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots as per usual Trevor :D Those first 2 Small Coppers are the very worthy winners of the :mrgreen: though; stained glass and the second it positioned so perfectly it's like it growing out of the petals :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Whoa! Those Copper images are ravishing, Trevor. Seems they're as keen on the ornamental asters as they are on the wild ones.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Wurzel & David. Glad you both enjoyed my afternoon with the Coppers.

With a beautiful blue sky early this morning I had high hopes that a search for Long Tailed Blues
could be undertaken before the forecast weather collapse arrived.
Then while watching BBC Breakfast, a reporter was standing on the seafront at Brighton talking
about the Labour party conference, behind him, out to sea, was an ominous looking black cloud!.
Consulting the Weather Radar on my laptop this confirmed a small but heavy shower was in progress
over Brighton. About 20 mins later it started to chuck it down at home.

So I set out for Whitehawk hill in pouring rain, safe in the knowledge that the rain shower was temporary.
On arrival several areas of the hill was searched, and soon several high speed LTB flybys were seen.
It was not until mid morning that sightings became regular, and the building cloud calmed the LTB's down,
allowing some good photo opps. In all about five LTB's could be identified throughout the morning.
Dogfights between males were quite frequent, with one individual intent on defending his patch
and seeing of any passing LTB, then returning to a particular small area to be photographed by
myself and other admirers.
Just before leaving a very fresh, nicely marked, female Speckled Wood landed on the path.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1390715.JPG
P1390598.JPG
P1390629.JPG
P1390593.JPG
Wing rolling.
Wing rolling.
P1390578.JPG
P1390611.JPG
P1390690.JPG
P1390703.JPG
P1390681.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

Very nice LTB shots, Trevor. :mrgreen: :) It just shows that bright strong sunshine isn't the best for getting really good views of this species (and other Blues as well, when you think about it).

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great stuff Trevor :D :mrgreen: Those open wing shots are cracking - love the soul-less black eyes on the hind wings :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Nice work, Trevor. Well done for persevering in spite of the heavy showers.

All we need now are for these infernal storms to disappear.
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

I shall have to move south! Lovely pics of the LTBs. I haven't been following the news lately - has there been a special influx this year or would you expect to find them at Whitehawk Hill? Janet
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Janet Turnbull wrote:...I shall have to move south!..
Yep, my thoughts exactly :wink:

Great series of LTB photos Trevor :mrgreen: :D I can only admire these from a distance from up here in the midlands as Sussex is further than I will travel for a day trip and I am out of holiday entitlement from work for this year.

My favourite of your recent photos however are those Small Coppers on the yellow rudbeckias, beautiful complementary colours :D

Cheers,

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks everyone for your comments/enjoyment of last weeks LTB adventure.

MEET NEIL!.

This morning the weather looked just about good enough to risk another trip to Whitehawk Hill.
On arrival, the temperature was OK, and for once there was minimal breeze but the Sun was constantly
behind high and low cloud. For over an hour I had the site to myself, then a couple from Edinburgh turned up,
I told them that I was optimistic of some LTB sightings, and as it was quiet, I took them to several areas of
the hill where LTB's had been found. Later two Guys from Essex joined us, and we waited and watched for
hours with no luck.
Whenever Neil Hulme turns up on site my hopes of success are raised, but still nothing appeared, even
during a short spell of bright sunshine.
By early afternoon the other visitors had given up, but had taken with them some advice on other areas to search.
I was now on my own again, when I thought I heard a feint call, then a louder call ' Trevor ', it was Neil beckoning
me to follow him. I hurriedly tried to catch him up ( he can't half shift! ) and we finally ended up near Manor park road,
right on the edge of the site, and there was a perched a mint fresh male LTB, and utopia it was on a BLEP bloom !,
a combination I had long wished for.
Many images later, the weather was becoming a problem and we called it a day.

My thanks to Neil for showing me the only LTB of the day, and for the lift back to my car.

In honour of that wonderful experience today, I christened that male LTB ' Neil '.

Trevor.
Attachments
The famous transmitter from the car park I use.
The famous transmitter from the car park I use.
P1390839.JPG
P1390790.JPG
P1390845.JPG
P1390781.JPG
P1390771.JPG
P1390808.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Absolutely cracking images Trevor :D 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Those underside markings when fresh like that are stunning! 8) :mrgreen: My cup floweth over with the :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Trevor
Just rewards for toughing it out. What a great day! Hopefully plenty more to come once the weather settles.
BWs, Neil

Return to “Personal Diaries”