Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Wurzel

Post by trevor »

Congrats for your Large Blues, Wurzel.
Open wing and a mating pair, can't be bad!.
I didn't manage an open wing shot at Collard when I went, but did get two mating pairs.
They don't hang about!.

Great shots,
Trevor.

PS. I'm back in Wilts on Sept 1st for three days, Tilshead ?.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D There's a bit more to come from that trip; I was having difficulty uploading the images so called it a night! I'd love to visit to Tilshead but I've got family stuff on the Sunday and Monday is back to work :(

Daneways 22-06-2019

Chuffed we carried on following the track upwards and through the wood breaking out into the sunshine of the top field. This bit is much easier going for butterfly photography as it’s relatively flat and much of the vegetation is short so flying butterflies are often easy to follow. Almost as soon as we moved from wood to grassland we saw a couple of Large Blues including one which seemed happy for us to follow it. It would fly a short distance, nectar away and drain the flower then fly a short distance and repeat. Once it landed it was so engrossed in feeding it didn’t pay us any heed and so we had our second easiest set of shots for the day. It got even better as a passing cloud caused the butterfly to pause from nectaring and open up and bask – open wing shots achieved!
DSC_0659 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0703 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0730 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0743 - Copy.JPG
By now my stomach was feeling a little empty and in the sun we’d worked up a thirst so we walked along the top field aiming to come out roughly where we started. On the way we saw a few more Large Blues (which became scarcer as the sward got longer) Brown Argus, Common Blues including a courting couple and a Peacock. A Small Tort stopped by quite close to a Butterfly Orchid but it didn’t land the flower unluckily. As the path carried on further down, curing on its way back to the gate a Painted Lady flew in and played very hard to get. You’d stalk it successfully, lean in for the shot, focus and then…then it would take off and zoom off to just far enough away for you to repeat the procedure. Eventually after a small amount of success we gave up and made our way down the steep bank and over the gate to retire to the pub for some refreshments.
DSC_0762 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0772 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0780 - Copy.JPG
Cold drinks drunk we loaded up and headed for my Duke Site. The journey home was pretty much like the journey there apart from one very frightening moment when our conversation was interrupted by the Satnav announcing that “I’m listening to you” – so it looks like AI will overtake the world and it won’t be long before Skynet takes over! :shock: :?

The plan was to hike around the site until we found a few DGFs, get a few record shots for the year and then head home. As we walked away from the car there was the DGF, first butterfly at the site, so much for having to traipse about looking for one. The DGF only made a flying visit and so we set off hoping to find a few down on the deck. Down on the sparse turf zone where Adonis and Small Blues are to be found there were a few Small Heath and Common Blues as well as a further 3 DGFs – all fast moving and not camera fodder. Still with each new DGF we were seeing the chances of catching one on memory card (doesn’t have quite the same ring as ‘catch one on film but anyhoo…) were also increasing. We followed the track that used to be so good for Dukes and then we strike out across the field where the DGFs seemed to be alternately hiding hunkered down or bombing across the grass tops. We split up and try the best we can to follow a single DGF for some shots but it is next to impossible as they were flying so frenetically. In the end I managed to find a female which behaved differently to the males in that she didn’t fly as far and in when she landed she stayed for longer too. In this way I was able to get the much sought after closed wing shot showing the ‘dark green’ which to my mind is more of a kakhi/mossy green.
DSC_0787 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0797 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0804 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0815 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0833 - Copy.JPG
Time almost up we made it back to the car and so ended yet another fantastic trip!
Have a goodun
Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

You've saved the best till last. Large Blue images don't get better than that :mrgreen: .
Very nice DGF too.

Don't work too hard !,
Trevor.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Lovely DGFs Wurzel. They look beautiful :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Just caught up with your report(s) from Daneways Wurzel, having been there myself for the first time this year I can picture it in my mind as you describe your route around the site. You did better than me with the open wing Large Blue shots :mrgreen: :D

A great selection of Dark Green Fritillary photos too, that first one is a beautiful fresh example, really jumps off the screen :D

Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I've still not been to Daneways, Wurzel - a habitual Collard Hill addict, me... :) However, those images of the Large Blues might make me consider a change! :) Very nice DGF too - fresh males really glow in the sunshine. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D Those ones made up for last year when i didn't get a sniff of an open wing shot :wink:
Cheers Katrina :D I don;t think those DGFs were long out of the pupal case 8)
Cheers Neil :D It was one of the view times that I was glad of some cloud otherwise it would have been closed wing shots only taking up lots of room on my memory card :? :wink:
Cheers Dave :D Having visited both I find Daneways a bit easier to work though I prefer Collard as an actual site if that makes sense? :? :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lavender Farm 23-06-2019

I was settling down and spending time with the family today so after finishing the various shopping trips and munching down on Marmite sandwiches and selected fruit on the drive over we pulled into the Lavender Farm. The cloudy, muggy weather was going to make butterfly photography difficult, not because of the light but because the butterflies weren’t likely to be flying. Still it would just be nice to wander round and enjoy the visual floral feast whilst mildly sedated and calmed by the all surrounding aroma. The Meadow Brown that did a fly-by as we entered was therefore a bit of a surprise but it didn’t hang around after my initial sighting.

After a few turns around the garden and sometime reading the paper I decided to check out the flowers a little more closely as they seemed to be a hive of activity – with various beetles, small flies and bees. As I was watching the various Hoverflies and other bits and bobs I chanced to look up and a large cream tangerine coloured butterfly flew swiftly towards me. I kept my eye on it as it rapidly approached and so before it had landed I knew that it was a Painted Lady and also because of the pale colour, that it was worn. After the initial couple of shots I was hungry for more and so I entered into a game of hide and seek. The butterfly would take off, fly rapidly this way and that before landing somewhere in amongst the rows of Lavender; sometimes it would be on the deck, other times hidden amid the lilac stems whilst at other times it would be perched in almost plain view, relaying on its distracting underside to break up its silhouette. At one point I saw a Large White fly down the rows but I didn’t want to take my eyes of my original quarry.
DSC_0859 - Copy.JPG
In the end it found what I think is Boules Mauve and then it settled down to feed. It would pirouette around the flower head before walking on tip toes to the next, it was all very balletic and was made even more so by the occasional flourish of the wings which it would close and then open wide before slightly back to a more relaxed angle. The odd passer-by would sometimes disturb the butterfly and would take off and fly off not getting very far before coming back to roughly the same place it left from; it seemed to recognise that it had hit the jackpot in terms of nectar and so was reluctant to venture too far.
DSC_0879 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0900 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0909 - Copy.JPG
I left it there and carried on with my recce round and when we decided to pack up and head home it was still there occupying its territory.
So there we go, even when you think “not a chance” butterflies can still appear and put on a show!
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Forest School and Larkhill 25-06-2019

I was off to the Forest School at the Cotswold Water Park with all of the year 7’s. However it wasn’t looking hopeful with cooler than usual temperatures and a steady fall of rain adding to the dampness under foot. Through the course of the day we built shelters, lit fires with flints, toasted Marshmallows and did a Bug Hunt. In the gloom and dark and dripping darkness all that we could muster were a few snails and a Leopard Slug. At the end of the day the rain started to slow and the drear lifted. One of the instructors found a toad while the year 7’s were playing Hide and Seek. Finally as we left Ringlets and Meadow Browns abounded as we walked through the meadow back to the coach and as we loaded the pupils (now steaming somewhat in the sun) onto the coach a Painted Lady stopped for nectar on a Bramble before flying off strongly in a Northerly direction.
DSC_0922 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0932 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0937 - Copy.JPG
By the time we’d returned to school the sun was shining and the temperatures had risen so I stopped for 20 minutes or so on the way home. As I pulled into the tiny lay-by and cars roared past I remembered why I’ve curtailed my visits here. Still safely across the road I then remembered why I liked to stop here. Amid the numerous Meadow Browns and Ringlets a Common Blue or two and a Brown Argus stood out due to their colouration and size difference. I also found three Small Blues which seemed to favour the longer sward just off from the path.
DSC_0950 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0952 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0966 - Copy.JPG
Further along the track Marbled Whites flew seemingly shunning the more exposed areas and favouring the small enclosed patches. Something zig-zagged out of one of these patches while I watched a Marbled White. It was definitely a Skipper and judging by the small size and timing probably a Small…I managed to watch it as it zipped here and there and when it landed a quick stalk meant I was able to confirm it as such. Pleased with my first non-Smessex Smessex I headed home, still slightly damp from the morning.
DSC_0978 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0990 - Copy.JPG
DSC_0996 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1012 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1014 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Larkhill 26-06-2019

I didn’t get out at lunch so instead I took a few moments out on the way home. Once again I had to take my life into my hands and pull into the smallest of pull-ins before braving the road. How come when I’m driving I always get stick behind some geriatric Sunday driver yet when I try and cross the road I end up trying to avoid being flattened by Mansells and Sennas? :roll:

Safely across the road I set off up the track, my pulse dropping 5 or so beats with every step and my blood pressure dropping precipitously, but in a good way. It isn’t exactly Forest Bathing but once I’m over the hump of getting across the road stopping off definitely has a positive impact on my health. The first little area I come to holds 2 Adonis and my second Small Skipper of 2019. There was also a Common Blue and 2 Brown Argus all flying into and around the confines of this little patch of lower growing vegetation. I could have stayed here but I feared saying stationary lost I lost track of time in my, now, lackadaisical state.
DSC_1034 - Copy.JPG
Slightly further up the path I encountered a Small Blue and there soon ensued a bit of a Brown fest. Most numerous were the Meadow Browns and Ringlets which would flee forwards only for me to disturb them a few steps further. You’d think by now they’d realise that it would be better to fly around and be behind the predator? The next most numerous were Small Heath, putting in a good showing in 2019. Possibly worrying was there were only a few Marbled Whites? Perhaps they haven’t gotten started properly yet? A Small Skipper popped in to keep me on my toes as it zipped about like the golden Snitch before finally settling and letting me get some shots as if deserved them.
DSC_1040.JPG
DSC_1044 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1050 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1055 - Copy.JPG
On the walk back a Painted Lady dropped in momentarily and I was able to fire off only 2 shots before it was gone leaving a vague notion of a flying easel in my minds eye. Pleased with the haul and the relaxed manner I was now adopting I headed for home.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

You sure get some great Common Blue abs round your way Wurzel.
I also just looked back to the previous page and saw those great Large Blues too.
Ernie F
millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, lovely blue female Common Blues, Wurzel. When fresh like that they shine like colourful gems down in the grass. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Ernie :D I see more blue females then brown, the 'textbook' brown females that can be confused with Brown Argus are so much rarer now :shock:
Cheers Dave :D I think they should be renamed "Semi-precious Blues' Dave which would take that into account as well as their frequency :wink: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

September 2019

Happy September! Hopefully things aren't going to quieten down this month...
09 Sep.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, some great shots in your post , particularly that lovely Blue Adonis :D The weather here has been awful over the week-end, at least it was nice but too hot when my Daughter was here, ( we're never happy :lol: ) Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D You're right about us butterfliers - we're like Goldilocks but we rarely experience it 'just right'! :wink: :lol:

Larkhill and on… 27-06-2019

Stopping on the way to work is much, much easier than on the other way round as there is no road crossing to send the pulse rate soaring through the rough, instead once you’ve manged to fit the car into the tiny pull in you’re right at old ‘half way point’ of the track. This morning it was already warm by the time I’d started traipsing up the slightest of inclines. On the way I noted Meadow Browns and Ringlets that were basking on the wheel ruts on the track whilst the Small Heath hung out on the taller grasses that lined the track and in the central reservation. A Small Tort stopped by all too briefly – but it was good to see them still here. The odd Marbled White took off from their open winged basking just as I got in range so instead I focused my efforts on the Common Blues that were still hanging flag fashion in their roosting positions. They caught the light a treat in the early morning glow.
DSC_1071 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1074 - Copy-001.JPG
At lunch I headed straight up the field and the uncut areas are now just above the knee with various Browns hiding away within the sward. As I walked round the edge I counted those that erupted from nearby as I passed and this produced a tally of Meadow Browns in the mid-thirties along with three Small Heath and a couple of Ringlets. Over at the Pits There were a couple more Ringlets and Meadow Browns taking advantage of the nectar on offer from the huge Bramble and a Small Tort dropped in along with 2 Large Skipper.
DSC_1092 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1110 - Copy.JPG
I was staying after work for first a meeting and then the ACE Awards night. This would mean some ‘locked in’ time and so once I’d caught up with marking, reports and planning I nipped out to the little filed in the middle of the housing estate. It came as a shock to see that it was all fenced off and the grassland had been roughly ploughed or more correctly ripped asunder and viciously gouged! Somewhat dejectedly I wandered back and made to head inside when a Painted Lady flew the length of the car park and I watched as it turned left round the building. I followed it managing to find it even after it had flown over the Nursery School. I kept up with it all the way to the Pits but my hopes of it landing and taking nectar evaporated as it veered right and cut across the Primary school’s field before disappearing from view over the hedge. Still I was at the Pits so as I was here I had a look around.

It seems that some of the Meadow Browns from the field had made their way over for a feast (either that or they were hiding earlier in the day) and I counted 19 of them along with (the same?) two Ringlets but I could only find one Large Skipper – perhaps the other had gone early to bed? I wish I could but I made my way in with another couple more hours of work on the cards.
DSC_1123 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1131 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1141 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1156 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love that first shot of the Common Blues Wurzel, I've not seen too many this year. Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D I know what you mean about the Common Blues - there was so much going on this year that I seemed to miss out seeing as many blues as I usually do :? Have to rectify that next year :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Larkhill 28-06-2019

After the very long day yesterday I was in two minds about stopping – instead preferring to just get to work and mainline on Coffee so I could get through the day but somehow in my slightly befuddled state I ended up at on the path at Larkhill. There were good numbers of Meadow Browns and Small Heath as I started the walk up the track and there was also the occasional, smaller and darker looking Ringlet (when compared to the Meadow Brown natch). I didn’t see any Lycaenids until I was slightly further up the path and then I found what looked like a communal roosting site. A scan around the tops of the grasses revealed 13 tiny flags flying in the breeze, one of which on closer examination was a Brown Argus but still 12 Common Blues in one line of sight is not to be sneezed at. As I was making towards the Blues to start trying for a few shots I spied a sole Marbled White stretching out its wings to try and warm up more quickly. The wings on its left side were curled over at the edge and looked like they’d gotten stuck to the case of the chrysalis. It gave them the appearance of a singed and flame shrunk crisp packet. After dealing with the Blues I found another Marbled White which was in much better shape and it too was also stretched out basking in the weak early morning sun.
DSC_1163 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1169 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1180 - Copy.JPG
At lunch time after some cover work and plenty of marking and planning I needed to clear my head ready for a full on afternoon and so I stepped out at lunch and made for the Pits. As I strolled/waded through the grasses Meadow Browns and Ringlets erupted forth and there were a few each of these hanging around on the Bramble patch as well. A few Small Skippers (I’m going with Small as they’ve only just emerged and Essex are still to be reported) zipped here and there making their remaining larger cousins look positively decrepit and cumbersome. The highlight though came in the form of a Small Tort which looked glorious backlit as it supped away. All too soon it was away from a little piece of paradise and back to reality.
DSC_1184 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1186 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1192 - Copy.JPG
DSC_1196 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Reading through your diary it always strikes me how many more species of butterflies you have down there than we have up here in Scotland. Chalkhill Blues, Adonis Blues and Large Blues, Marbled Whites and Gatekeepers. Of those I have only briefly seen a Gatekeeper! I think I will have to have a visit to the south of England to lengthen my butterfly list a bit. Yes, White Admirals, Purple Emperors, Grizzled Skipper, Dingy Skipper. So many!!

Return to “Personal Diaries”