David M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Sylvie_h

Re: David M

Post by Sylvie_h »

Hi David,

I was at Whiteford on Sunday 14th, was there also early, I am surprised we did not bump into one another (then again Whiteford is a big place). I saw one Gatekeeper in a very good condition (my first of the year) and 2 humming bird hawkmoths searching over bedstraw (they could have been egg laying), Dark green Fritillary and Marbled white (my first of the year also), numerous Meadow browns and ringlets. I saw some very territorial graylings (I only know them from 2 areas in Whiteford).
Whiteford is a very beautiful place to be at this time of year, there are so many flowers ! it is also very interesting for other insects (soldierflies and bees especially).
Sylvie
David M

Post by David M »

Sadly, Sylvie, I saw no-one at all except for two dog walkers, so I guess our respective paths were far apart. I'm glad you saw a Hedge Brown. As for the Graylings, I usually see them on the limestone crag near the clay pigeon shooting area or in the gully nearest the woodland once you walk out onto the dunes.

It remains a beautiful site at all times of year, but it is undoubtedly at its best in April and early May, before the bracken starts to strangle the lower growing plants.
David M

Post by David M »

Sunday 21st July 2019 - Castle Meadows....

Having stayed in Abergavenny since Friday evening, I decided to pay a visit to Castle Meadows early on Sunday to see if I could find any Essex Skippers. Conditions were marginal, but I felt confident that the orchard at the top of the meadow would harbour a few butterflies:
1Orchard(2).jpg
Sure enough, there were quite a few, including my first Hedge Browns of 2019:
1HedgeBrmaleups(2).jpg
1HedgeBrfemuns(2).jpg
Not long after, I found my first of three Essex Skippers:
1Essexuns1(2).jpg
1Essexups(2).jpg
It's always nice when you get them perched like this one:
1Essexuns2(2).jpg
There were plenty of Meadow Browns about, with this female having attractive twin ocelli:
1MeadBrfem(2).jpg
Then, along came a surprise - a Marbled White. In 15 years I'd never hitherto seen one in Abergavenny. It would be most welcome if they were extending their range:
1MarbWhite(2).jpg
Other butterflies seen were Small White, Speckled Wood, Green Veined White and Peacock:
1Peacock(2).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Thursday 25th July 2019 - Grayling....

I usually don't get much time to devote to this lovely species due to my travel commitments, but today's glorious morning afforded me an opportunity, and I was at Mumbles Head on the Swansea coast just after 8am:
1MumblesHead(1).jpg
I only saw two whilst up there, but the little bit of cloud obscuring the sun, which I had initially found aggravating, allowed a close approach to the first individual:
1Grayling1(1).jpg
1Grayling2(1).jpg
This headland affords lovely views across Swansea Bay:
1SwanseaBay(1).jpg
Hedge Browns were the commonest species in this spot, with upwards of 40 seen:
1HedgeBrmale(1).jpg
I then crossed the road to the rocky knoll at the back of Bracelet Bay, where I found another 5 Graylings. Here's the view once I got onto the grassy slope at the back:
1BraceletBay(1).jpg
Other species seen were Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Small Skipper, Red Admiral, Small White, Common Blue (two females) and Peacock.
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

I do like the Mumbles coast - it was a favourite holiday destination when the children were young. I wasn't into butterflies then though! It will be interesting to see if the Marbled Whites increase in number at all.
Janet
David M

Post by David M »

Janet Turnbull wrote:I do like the Mumbles coast - it was a favourite holiday destination when the children were young...
It's a lovely area, Janet.....if only we had a bit more sunshine! :evil:
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots of the Graylings David , I never seem to get them in a back ground that shows their colour like that, mine always seem to meld into stones etc :D Goldie :D
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

A lovely stretch of coast indeed.
Dsc02451.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Thursday 15th August 2019 - Late summer butterflies....

My first outing once home from European travels is always a little underwhelming, but after a 10 day hiatus, I was glad to be back in green fields surrounded by nature again.

I visited West Williamston in Pembrokeshire on a sunny if windy day, and reacquainted myself with a few familiar species.

First up was Speckled Wood, which always seems to greet me on my arrival in the car park here:
1SpeckledWood(1).jpg
Hedge Browns were still around in reasonable numbers, although all were part worn at best:
1HedgeBrfemale(1).jpg
I saw three lovely Small Coppers:
1SmallCopp(1).jpg
Walking onto the estuary, I was immediately aware that there were good numbers of Painted Ladies, all busy nectaring on the sea asters. I probably saw at least three dozen:
1PaintedLady(1).jpg
It was nice to find three Small Tortoiseshells amongst them. They’ve had an appalling year in south Wales in 2019:
1SmallTort(1).jpg
A walk into one of the woodland glades saw a handful of tatty Silver Washed Fritillaries:
1SWF(1).jpg
By contrast, this Peacock was immaculate:
1Peacock(1).jpg
A solitary Large White was seen flying strongly near the high tide area, and several Green Veined Whites were also observed, including this attractive female:
1GVW(1).jpg
Several Common Blues were about, but this one initially gave me quite a shock. At first, I thought it had to be some stray male Silver Studded Blue; that was until I saw the orange lunules – it was a female icarus, one of the most bizarre I’ve ever seen:
1CommonBluefemale(1).jpg
1CommonBluefemaleuns(1).jpg
A beaten up Meadow Brown was also recorded, but overall butterfly numbers were rather disappointing (except for the Painted Ladies).
David M

Post by David M »

Thursday 15th August 2019 - Brown Hairstreak....

With few reports of egg-laying female Brown Hairstreaks around the country so far, I was prepared to draw a blank at the Pembrokeshire site, and instead was happy simply to revel in the dozen+ other species to be found in this serene location.

However, at just gone midday, I spotted what I fancied was a betulae amongst mature blackthorn some yards away from me. I had to wait for her to fly before I could locate her, and thankfully she plonked herself down right near me and remained there for at least 10 minutes:
1BHuns(1).jpg
BHpartopen(1).jpg
2BH(1).jpg
I also caught her in the act of ovipositing:
BHegg(1).jpg
In this part of Wales, numbers usually peak around August Bank Holiday, so weather permitting I shall be back to check on them again.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Those are cracking shots of the HS David :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I've yet to see one :roll: Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

A lovely unblemished Brown Hairstreak, David. A rare sighting in this season which really hasn't been very good for them. :) :mrgreen: I also like that blue female Common Blue - I haven't seen one quite like that (they do vary a lot) and nothing so blue since the spring brood. :)

Cheers,

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Goldie/Dave.

Yes, Brown Hairstreaks are behaving strangely this year and there appear to be fewer of them than normal. It'll be interesting to see whether winter egg counts reflect the scarcity of the adults.
trevor

Post by trevor »

I would think that your immaculate female Brown Hairstreak would qualify as your butterfly of the year.
It has probably just emerged, and has yet to fly to the tree tops to find a mate.

Brilliant images too,
Trevor.

PS. A very fine ' blue ' female Common Blue as well.
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:I would think that your immaculate female Brown Hairstreak would qualify as your butterfly of the year.
It has probably just emerged, and has yet to fly to the tree tops to find a mate.
I saw her lay at least one egg, Trevor, so I suspect she'd been out a few days at least.

How she managed to keep so shipshape is another question!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

That female Brown Hairstreak is a beauty David :mrgreen: :D

Nice one,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, about those Large Heath, I know there's a peat bog at Pilling but I'm not sure if that's one of the sites :?: Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Freeman wrote:That female Brown Hairstreak is a beauty David
Thanks, Neil. Only one I've see thus far in 2019. :(
Goldie wrote:..about those Large Heath, I know there's a peat bog at Pilling but I'm not sure if that's one of the sites
Astley Moss in Manchester and Risley Moss near Warrington, Goldie.
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Love those Brostreak pics Dave. All three are perfect but the way you have captured the glow underneath in pic 2 is amazing.
Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, ernie. They were taken moments apart...and it is (sadly) the only Brown Hairstreak I've thus far seen in 2019. :(

At least she was a mint specimen.

Return to “Personal Diaries”