Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots of the Choughs Neil - they definitely seem more approachable than the Welsh Chough :D :mrgreen: Spot on with the Rock Pipit ID :D It's a shame the report had to end :(

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Wow! A fabulous area just got better!

The array of wildlife down there is quite something, Neil. We do pretty well on the Gower but I don't think it compares to the area around the Lizard.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Mark, the Choughs were certainly approachable on this occasion :D

Cheers Wurzel, Thanks for the confirmation of the Rock Pipits. Sorry I have no more from Cornwall but will be down in Dorset for my last trip of the season next week :D

Indeed David, I have been down there a number of times now and at various times of year and have really enjoyed every time.

Sunday 25th August.

For once, the weekend weather was true to the forecast and a Bank Holiday weekend at that. From Friday afternoon we enjoyed almost totally clear blue skies with just a bit of high altitude wispy cloud which did absolutely nothing to prevent the afternoon temperatures reaching the high teens on both Saturday and Sunday.

As it happened, we had arranged to look after our three year old granddaughter Chloe from Saturday to Sunday so my options for butterflying were limited. Most of the time was spent in the garden where Chloe would 'help' with some pottering about and tidying up during which I noted the usual male Specklies being their normal quarrelsome selves and a number of whites passing through, most of which appeared to be Small Whites.

Sunday was even warmer than Saturday and I spotted a female Speckled Wood sticking to the shade as she moved through the garden and thus avoiding the males who were chasing each other about like mad things in the heat.
Speckled Wood female - Coverdale 25.08.2019
Speckled Wood female - Coverdale 25.08.2019
An elderly female Gatekeeper was also around most of the weekend,
Gatekeeper female - Coverdale 25.08.2019
Gatekeeper female - Coverdale 25.08.2019
A few Mint Moths were fluttering about above a patch of marjoram and I particularly like the way the sun is catching scales on the shot below.
Mint Moth - Coverdale 25.08.2019
Mint Moth - Coverdale 25.08.2019
With another hot day forecast for the next day, Bank Holiday Monday, I didn't fancy travelling far so was thinking about getting out to check out one of my local spots.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Monday 26th August.

Bank Holiday Monday and what a scorcher. As soon as the sun rose it beat down from a cloudless sky and right from the start the Specklies in the garden were in turbo mode. These were soon joined by passing whites, again most of them being 'Small'.
I reckoned that whatever time I went out, any butterflies that I saw would be hyperactive, so I took my time and chilled out a bit during the morning and just pottered about the house and garden.

Although my buddleias have mostly gone over now there are still a few flower spikes left to tempt another Painted Lady to drop in later in the morning.
Painted Lady - Coverdale 26.08.2019
Painted Lady - Coverdale 26.08.2019
I finally stirred myself into action and popped out early in the afternoon to my local spot at Castle Hills near Solihull. In one field here there are a number of Buddleias of all shapes and sizes growing wild and I made my way to this spot.
Given the numbers of Painted Ladies around this year I was not surprised to see quite a few around these buddleias and the more I looked, the more I saw. They were difficult to count with their constant movement around the buddleias but I reckon there were 20+ in this one spot. In the afternoon heat, most of the time they settled with their wings tightly closed but occasionally one of them would quickly flick their wings open a few times and I would try and anticipate the movement to grab a shot.
Painted Lady - Castle Hills 26.08.2019
There were also some Small Tortoiseshells and Red Admirals around these buddlieas with 7 or 8 STs and 6 Red Admirals counted. With the afternoon temperature once again up in the high twenties, it was noticeable that the Small Tortoiseshells and Red Admirals spent quite a bit of time in the shadier depths of the buddleias to get some relief from the sun.
Painted Lady and Small Tortoiseshell - Castle Hills 26.08.2019
Painted Lady and Small Tortoiseshell - Castle Hills 26.08.2019
Small Tortoiseshell - Castle Hills 26.08.2019
Small Tortoiseshells - Castle Hills 26.08.2019
Small Tortoiseshells - Castle Hills 26.08.2019
Red Admiral - Castle Hills 26.08.2019
A single Comma was also flying around this spot and also taking to the shade when it settled.
I noted that the Painted Ladies didn't seem to be so bothered by the heat and happily stayed out in the hot sun, possibly due to the fact that this species endures much hotter temperatures in it's breeding grounds in north Africa.

Away from the buddleias it was much quieter. A few Small Heaths and Common Blues were about along with some tired looking Meadow Browns and a single Brown Argus.
Small Heath - Castle Hills 26.08.2019
Small Heath - Castle Hills 26.08.2019
Common Blue - Castle Hills 26.08.2019
Common Blue - Castle Hills 26.08.2019
Brown Argus - Castle Hills 26.08.2019
Brown Argus - Castle Hills 26.08.2019
A quick look along one of the shadier tree line paths produced half a dozen Speckled Wood and another Comma.

By mid afternoon the temperature was hitting 30 degrees, which to be perfectly honest is too hot for me, so I made a move back home to carry on chilling out in the garden.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Neil lovely shots, I don't think I've seen very many Small Heath only when I was in Kent did I get a shot of one, I've not seen any here up to now. Like you I can't stand so much heat and when I've been out this week-end quickly retreated into Garden Centres and cafes for cooler air and drinks. :lol: Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Painted Ladies Neil - one of them has even got the blue spots in the black spots on the hind wings :D :mrgreen: Good luck down in Dorset :D - it was quite quiet at Lulworth/Durdle Door today but then the weather wasn't exactly great :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Yes, Bank Holiday was glorious even here in south Wales, Neil. :)

Good to see you've had your fair share of Painted Ladies...and a few Small Tortoiseshells thrown in too.

Red Admirals, by contrast, have been pretty scarce near me this month. Hopefully we'll see a few more before the season's over.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Goldie M wrote:..Like you I can't stand so much heat and when I've been out this week-end quickly retreated into Garden Centres and cafes for cooler air and drinks. :lol: Goldie :D
It didn't last long though Goldie, much cooler now and we had quite a bit of rain mid week.
Wurzel wrote:...Good luck down in Dorset :D - it was quite quiet at Lulworth/Durdle Door today but then the weather wasn't exactly great...
Thanks Wurzel, Dorset has not let me down yet at this time of year - late August/early September - so fingers crossed.
David M wrote:...Good to see you've had your fair share of Painted Ladies...and a few Small Tortoiseshells thrown in too.

Red Admirals, by contrast, have been pretty scarce near me this month. Hopefully we'll see a few more before the season's over...
Thanks David. I hadn't seen that may Red Admirals this year myself until the other week down in Cornwall and those the other day were the first local ones for a while.

Friday 30th August.

Our usual Friday afternoon visit to my mom's during which I nipped down the road to have a look around the local park. A quick circuit in mostly cloudy but warm conditions produced plenty of Speckled Woods around the usual wooded areas. Although numbers usually increase here at this time of year, a conservative count of 27 in under 30 minutes is probably the most I have seen at this spot, especially as most of them were concentrated around one large bank of brambles.
Some were pretty worn and faded but there were also a good number of fresher looking example around and if the pattern of previous years is anything to go by, I suspect that numbers may increase even more into September.

Although they were indulging in a lot of basking, taking photos of the males was a bit challenging because more often than not, as soon as I lined up a shot they would be off to chase each other about. The females were easier, when they could escape the attentions of the males that is.
Speckled Wood male - Langley Hall 30.08.2019
Speckled Wood female - Langley Hall 30.08.2019
Many of them were feeding on blackberries, a sure sign of the advancing season. This was the only time the males would stop chasing each other.
Speckled Wood males - Langley Hall 30.08.2019
I also spotted one feeding on Rowan berries, something I have not seen before.
The only other butterflies seen here this afternoon were four or five Small Whites.

Back home later in the afternoon, the resident Specklies were also active with four different males seen and at least one female. I spotted one male settle in front of a female and they indulged in a bit of antennae 'tapping' before she decided to adopt the typical 'play dead' pose that these do when they are not interested.
Speckled Wood pair - Coverdale 30.08.2019
Other butterflies in the garden this afternoon were a few Small Whites and singles of Green-veined white and Holly Blue.

Bye for now,

Neil.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Excellent numbers of Speckled Wood, the three on the bramble is a most unusual image. We will be in Osmington next Friday afternoon, weather permitting. We will keep an eye open for you, just in case!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Some fascinating shots there, like Essex says the 3 in one shot is very unusual!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Some very fresh Speckled Woods there Neil.
All the ones I saw today were very worn, Except for one female in good condition.

Lovely shots, as always,
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That first 'threefer' shot in particular is a cracker Neil - I've not seen them sitting so nicely positioned as that ever! :shock: :mrgreen:And the rest are mighty fine too! :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

essexbuzzard wrote:Excellent numbers of Speckled Wood, the three on the bramble is a most unusual image. We will be in Osmington next Friday afternoon, weather permitting. We will keep an eye open for you, just in case!
Thanks Mark, we are heading down in the morning (Sunday) and coming back on Friday so will probably miss you unfortunately. Will no doubt pay a visit to Osmington at some point but when will depend on the weather down there.
bugboy wrote:Some fascinating shots there, like Essex says the 3 in one shot is very unusual!
Thanks Bugboy, this is the only time of year that I see males put up with each other like that.
trevor wrote:Some very fresh Speckled Woods there Neil.
All the ones I saw today were very worn, Except for one female in good condition. Lovely shots, as always, Trevor.
Thanks Trevor, we usually get a good emergence into September around here so hopefully there will be more fresh ones on the way.
Wurzel wrote:That first 'threefer' shot in particular is a cracker Neil - I've not seen them sitting so nicely positioned as that ever! :shock: :mrgreen:And the rest are mighty fine too! :mrgreen: :D Have a goodun. Wurzel
Thanks Wurzel, I watched and waited for some time for that group to line up like that.

Recent Garden Moths.

With being away in Cornwall the other week plus some nippy nights this month, I haven't had the garden moth trap out that much during August, just five times in total. Nevertheless, I have had some nice moths with the nights of Sunday 25th and Tuesday 27th following the recent warm weather producing catches of 200+ moths, even if most of them were Large Yellow Underwings. Some early Autumn species are starting to show up now along with some second generation of early summer species.
Orange Swift - a nicely marked female.
Orange Swift - a nicely marked female.
Centre-barred Sallow - this one is a sign that Autumn is approaching.
Centre-barred Sallow - this one is a sign that Autumn is approaching.
Square-spot Rustic - A common 'trap filler' at this time of year. A very variable moth.
Square-spot Rustic - A common 'trap filler' at this time of year. A very variable moth.
Rosy Rustic - Another late season species.
Rosy Rustic - Another late season species.
Flame Carpet - Second generation.
Flame Carpet - Second generation.
Old Lady - This large species seems to be doing well this year.
Old Lady - This large species seems to be doing well this year.
Dusky Thorn - I usually get a couple of these each year.
Dusky Thorn - I usually get a couple of these each year.
Yellow Shell - A particularly well marked example, compare with the one below.
Yellow Shell - A particularly well marked example, compare with the one below.
Yellow shell - a more normal looking example.
Yellow shell - a more normal looking example.
Heading down to Dorset in the morning so off to do some packing for tomorrow and make sure my camera batteries are charged etc.

Bye for now,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Some nice moths again there, Neil, particularly the Dusky Thorn.

Good luck down in Dorset.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks David. Another enjoyable trip to Dorset, details to come in due course as usual.

Dorset part 1 – Sunday September 1st.

Last Sunday, Jane and myself headed down to Dorset for our last trip of the year. In some previous years we have gone down to Dorset around this time with my mom and/or our daughter Sarah and the grandkids for a family holiday but this year due to to various reasons it was just the two of us and so we had booked into a B&B on a farm not far from Corfe Castle.

With no need to rush, we took a leisurely drive down the A429 through the Cotswolds and then the A350 via Shaftsbury and by 1.30pm we were approaching Fontmell Magna. We planned to stop off for a bit at Fontmell Down, a site I had never visited before despite using this route a number of times.

Fontmell Down.

We turned off the A350 at Fontmell Magna and headed for the car park at the top of the down to find it absolutely rammed with cars so we carried on a little way and found a space a bit further long the road. I left Jane reading her Kindle and walked back to the entrance to the down and noticed a number of old aircraft taking off from the airfield across the other side of the road and many of the people at the car park appeared to be there to watch those. I am not sure if this a regular thing or if there was an event going on but it was nice to see these old planes flying around above the downs.
Above Fontmell Down - 01.09.2019
Above Fontmell Down - 01.09.2019
I went through the gate from the car park onto the down and as I often do when I am at a site new to me, I immediately went the 'wrong way'. It was very breezy at the top of the down and so I figured I would look for a sheltered spot and walked down the slope to my right and along the tree line at the bottom. I say I went the wrong way but I soon found Common Blues, Meadow Browns and Small Heaths plus some nice fresh looking male Adonis Blues and a Brimstone patrolling the tree line.
Adonis Blue - Fontmell Down 01.09.2019
One female Meadow Brown stood out with a paler 'orange' patch on her left forewing.
Meadow Brown - Fontmell Down 01.09.2019
Meadow Brown - Fontmell Down 01.09.2019
I was aware that Silver-spotted Skippers could be found here, the only site in Dorset where they can be found I believe, but thought it may be getting a bit late for them. I met a chap who was looking for them but had not seen any and was just leaving.
A little further along I met another chap who told me that there should be a few SSKs still flying but they were only found on the south facing slope on the other side of the ridge...which is where I would have ended up if I had gone the 'right way' from the car park.

I made my way up and over the ridge to the other side and then down and along towards the south facing slope and stopped for a few minutes to chat with a couple who asked me if I had seen any Clouded Yellows (not yet... but carry on reading), as apparently a few had been reported from there the previous weekend. I then carried on, seeing more Meadow Browns, Small Heath, Adonis and Common Blues plus a couple of Brown Argus but these were all very active in the warm afternoon sun and with the blustery breeze were difficult to photograph.
Adonis Blue male and female - Fontmell Down 01.09.2019
Adonis Blue male and female - Fontmell Down 01.09.2019
No more than five minutes of so after the couple asked me if I had seen any Clouded Yellows, what should fly right in front of me...a Clouded Yellow. I looked back to see if the couple were still around but they had disappeared from view around the curve in the down. I watched as it flew up the slope at high speed and I was just thinking 'there's no point in trying to follow that' when it did a 180 and flew back towards me and landed half way down the slope. I kept an eye on the position where it had gone down and walked up slowly and was about ten feet away when it took off again. Luckily, it just came a little closer and I managed t get a couple of record shots before it was off again, this time disappearing into the distance.
Clouded Yellow - Fontmell Down 01.09.2019
Clouded Yellow - Fontmell Down 01.09.2019
I was making my way back up the slope when I spotted a Silver-spotted Skipper, a worn female that darted from flower head to flower head for a while before I lost track of her.
Silver-spotted Skipper - Fontmell Down 01.09.2019
Silver-spotted Skipper - Fontmell Down 01.09.2019
Fontmell Down 01.09.2019
Fontmell Down 01.09.2019
By now, I had been here for an hour and not wanting to dig too deep into the store of brownie points too soon, I made my way back to Jane and we carried on our way.

My main target for our trips to Dorset at this time of year is always Adonis Blue, this being a species we do not get in the midlands and I usually miss the first brood. Also, I am always hopeful of a Clouded Yellow. We had not even arrived and I had seen both already which meant that the pressure was off for the next few days and I could just enjoy what turned up.

To be continued...

Neil.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Never heard of Fontmell Down, looks like a wonderful place :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

That's an excellent report, Neil, from what looks like a great piece of Dorset downland. :) I imagine it would be really good in the spring as well. It doesn't look far on the map from Martin Down, but the meandering roads between the two across Cranborne Chase make it seem a lot further! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great report Neil those Adonis are stunning - they really 'ping' and a cracking Cloudy :D 8) :mrgreen: Like you say it's great when you get your targets early :D Looking forward to the next installment :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

bugboy wrote:Never heard of Fontmell Down, looks like a wonderful place :)
I am sure I have seen a few reports from Fontmell on UKB in the past. If my memory serves me right (not guaranteed these days :lol: ) Essexbuzzard has reported from there.
millerd wrote:That's an excellent report, Neil, from what looks like a great piece of Dorset downland. :) I imagine it would be really good in the spring as well. It doesn't look far on the map from Martin Down, but the meandering roads between the two across Cranborne Chase make it seem a lot further! :) Cheers, Dave
Thanks Dave, it would probably be good in the spring too. Martin Down is another site I have never visited...yet.
Wurzel wrote:Great report Neil those Adonis are stunning - they really 'ping' and a cracking Cloudy :D 8) :mrgreen: Like you say it's great when you get your targets early :D Looking forward to the next installment :D Have a goodun. Wurzel
Cheers Wurzel. Trying to sort some photos and get some words together for the next one but keep getting interrupted by apparently essential 'stuff to do' :wink:

Cheers,

Neil
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

What could be more essential than writing up butterfly reports :shock: :? ? Actually I know the feeling, hence my PD still being in June :oops: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”