Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Trevor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry to hear that Steyning wasn't as productive as you'd hoped some days are like that but at least you did see a Brostreak - many have tried and many have failed this year :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

The way my Brown Hairstreak season is going so far, I'd be over the moon with that one :lol:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Even a tatty Brown Hairstreak is a welcome sighting, Trevor, although it IS worrying how few seem to be around this year.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks, chaps. I hope to try a different site for BH if the weather improves,
though finding any fresh ones might be difficult by now.

Despite a blustery morning I drove over to Rowland Wood this morning.
This location has been host to some very fine ' blue ' female Common Blues,
and two more were present today, including a fresh one.
I had close encounters with two very fresh Painted Ladies, both of which
for some reason allowed very close approach. I could almost touch one of them.

All images taken between strong gusts of wind!.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1380917.JPG
P1380913.JPG
P1380934.JPG
P1380905.JPG
Underside of blue female.
Underside of blue female.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of very blue Blues Trevor and those Painted are indeed in very fine fettle :D :mrgreen: Especially like the second one as it has the blue spots inside the black spots on the hind wing 8) :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:...All images taken between strong gusts of wind!
Yes, the wind has been unabating for most of August, Trevor. Seems like we may get some respite though....just in time for Bank Holiday weekend. :)
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, lovely shot's of the Painted Lady, I've found the ones in my garden very approachable when taking shots of them, may be their exhausted from their journey :D Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

Very nice deeply tinted Painted Ladies, Trevor, and some attractive female Common Blues. :) I haven't seen many of those in the second brood this year wherever I've been.

I'm waiting hopefully for you to discover a field full of Clouded Yellows down there in Sussex soon... :) (To make up for the cows at Steyning munching all the Brown Hairstreak caterpillars... :wink: )

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

On Friday ( 23rd Aug.) I visited Southwick ( Shoreham harbour ) for what turned out to be
one of my quietest butterfly expeditions ever!.
Shortly after arrival I met Lindsay Morris, a well known local enthusiast, and someone
with a very keen eye. But as we patrolled this usually busy site all we saw in three hours
was lots of Small Whites and three, worn, Common Blues.
We hoped we might find a Long Tailed Blue on the abundant Ever Lasting Pea, or what
we both went for, the odd Clouded Yellow, none were seen.
Relief came when we visited the Buddleia bushes near the fuel storage tanks, here there
was upwards of a dozen Painted Ladies, some no bigger than a Small Tortoiseshell, and
an immaculate, fresh, Red Admiral.

We left the site wondering where all the butterflies were in such perfect conditions!.
Trevor.

PS. Many thanks everyone for the previous comments. :D .
Attachments
P1380956.JPG
P1380958.JPG
P1380943.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Things have gone a bit quiet at the moment Trevor - and just as the better weather has arrived :roll: You did well to get those shots - mind you I've noticed a few more Cloudies being recorded over the last few days, hopefully the vanguard, fingers crossed :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers, Wurzel. I hope Tilshead is not quiet next week, looking forward to an Adonis fest.
Early start of course!.

Good luck with the new term.
Trevor.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

There were 2 or 3 cloudies there last week, one was a female so hopefully she laid a few eggs. I too had a look at the pea but couldnt help but notice the majority had gone over, its in a much better state at Newhaven.

As for it being quiet, i think its a symtom of climate change moving the whole season forward, replacing the June gap ( now one of the busiest months) with sn August gap. I even cut short my Dorset trip due to a near complete lack of butterflies. Lulworth Skippers are now over before the end of August :shock: !
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks, Paul. We were told that a Cloudie had been seen at Southwick the day before,
but I think it's a bit early for them at that site. They seem to thrive there in Sept and Oct.
Hopefully there will be two migrant species to keep us on our toes this Autumn.
It could be only Dec and Jan without butterflies if we get a late Autumn, and another
February ' heatwave '.
Sorry to hear that Dorset was quiet as well.

All the best,
Trevor.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Yesterday I travelled by train to Dungeness. After lunch I had enough time to explore
some of the rough ground near the station.
I soon found the first of five of the famed Dungeness Small Coppers. Photographing them
was made difficult by the stiff sea breeze. While searching for the Coppers I had what
could have been a nasty accident, when my left leg suddenly plunged down a hole,
right up to my crotch, with my right leg left where it should be. Fortunately I was able
to haul my leg out of the hole easily, and escaped without any injury at all.

The moral of the tale is watch were you tread, as well as the butterfly you are following!.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1390029.JPG
P1390025.JPG
P1390018.JPG
P1390020.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The perils of butterflying Trevor :shock: Glad to hear you're okay and some sound cautionary advice :) Lovely looking Small Coppers would have taken your mind off of any pain through :wink: :D Cracking shots of some swarthy looking Coppers :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

A very quiet day today, with the exception of lots of Small Whites.
I was very pleased to find a female Speckled Wood in good condition,
unlike some very worn males.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1390037.JPG
P1390034.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a nice chocolately fresh Specklie Trevor - I've not seen a Specklie for a few days now so it's good to know they're still going :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

After an abortive trip to see the Long Tailed Blues at Whitehawk Hill, Brighton, on Tuesday,
nowhere to park, only double yellows and permit holders spaces available, I chose a ' sensible '
double yellow spot and dashed up the hill, saw nothing, and returned to the car in haste.

That was no way to enjoy a butterfly trip, so I went again today, nice and early. Parked legally
and easily. As I walked up the hill the vibes were good, perfect weather and no worries about the car!.
I remembered where the 2015 LTB ' Hotspot ' was, and this was confirmed by a severely trampled area
I stumbled upon. At 09.03 my first LTB was spotted, and in my camera lens.
Even at this relatively early hour, visitors began to arrive, some from Essex and one from Swindon,
and in the next hour we saw three LTB's altogether. These ranged from good condition to nearly expired.
Hopefully all three male LTB's had done their duty, and we will see the fruits of their labours in a few weeks.

A very enjoyable hour, all done by 10.00.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1390062.JPG
P1390078.JPG
P1390055.JPG
P1390086.JPG
P1390085.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That tatty one may be edging his way ever closer to his last flutter but he was my first ever LTB so I look on at him through rose tinted glasses :lol:
Glad you escaped unscathed from that hidden hole, losing the ability to walk just weeks before the LTB season kicks off proper is unthinkable!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Paul. As you say the tatty LTB was very welcome, he was my first one today.
Had he been the only one seen I would still have regarded the day a success.
As for the hole it was covered in grass, probably an old Badger set. Fortunately
my foot reached the bottom of the hole, had it been any deeper something more
delicate could have been damaged. Such is life.

Return to “Personal Diaries”