Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by David M »

Lovely sequence of images again, BB. Amazing that the female Purple Hairstreak was still behaving relatively normally, given she was only half of what she once was!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks David, yes she just seemed content to bask :?

11th July
The following day I took another break from Bookham and went east again for another wander on the outskirts of Leigh-on-sea for the afternoon. I normally stick to Hadleigh Country Park for butterflies so I thought I’d see what’s about on Two Tree island at this time of year. Unfortunately there was a particularly stiff and persistent easterly breeze blowing so I had to seek out some sheltered spots. It was also rather warm and much of the activity was taking place in the shade as the butterflies tried to stay cool. As I searched out these places various Browns, Skippers and Whites fluttered (or rather were blown) past. The first photo opportunity came with a hutchinsoni Comma nectaring on some bramble blossom.
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
I managed to corner a few Small Whites as they nectared on some Black Horehound but not much else sat, or was able to, long enough to get any snaps.
IMG_0044.JPG
After an hour I decided to wander over to the Country Park. As I was walking past the car park, I noticed a Comma fly up into an Ash. At first, I just assumed in an attempt to hide from the sun but when I trained my big lens on it, it seemed to be feeding on something. I watched it for a few minutes as it climbed around and worked out it seemed to be concentrating on the buds. I’m not sure what it was getting from them, they were dry to the touch.
Comma.JPG
Anyway, over in the Country Park I managed to find myself some relatively sheltered bits of Creeping Thistle and at last some butterflies willing to sit for me. Skippers seemed to be made up mainly of the Essex variety, some Peacock were busy fattening up for winter and more Commas were sat around defending territories and nectaring on more usual fare.
IMG_0184.JPG
IMG_0198.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG
IMG_0252.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Just catching up after a week or so away - cheers for the excessa - I've only seen one this year :shock: though I've still to visit my Outlaws :wink: Your other one looks good for an aberrant as well - you don't often see the spots demarkated as celarly as that or drawn into 'streaks' :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That's a beautiful colour on that Small White, BB. Love the Commas too!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Looking forward to your Portugal pictures Wurzel :)
Thanks David, it shows it's always worth taking notice on the common species :)

12th July
Meanwhile, back at Bookham: Yup it really is that time of year I might as well pitch up a tent at this place :lol: ! I was still living in hope that a Purple Emperor would pay me a visit to the woodland floor. The protracted emergence they seem to be experiencing, no doubt due to the cool June, should mean there’s still some fresh males looking for minerals but once again I was left wanting, not a sign of them was seen. Purple Hairstreaks on the other hand were yet again tumbling from the treetops in serious numbers, another warm day was bringing them down looking for moisture.
PH 1.JPG
The usual suspects were also up and about, mostly too active to sit still, some freshly emerged butterflies did allow me to approach though.
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG
The White Admiral cats from the last visit were enjoying themselves, one posing on the end of its poo pier, the other looked like it had been playing in its aerial latrine, or perhaps on its way to top it up. The two eggs had still to hatch.
IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0113.JPG
IMG_0127.JPG
Just around the corner is a small clearing which only catches the sun for a short time each day. A couple of Purple Hairstreaks were here. A female stopped to bask briefly before ascending back into the Oaks but a male seemed rather addicted to some Bramble Blossom. I disturbed him a couple of times trying to line up shots but each time he fluttered back onto the same flower. I think this is only the second time I’ve ever seen one nectaring from a flower, the last one being when I was still using slide film! He was still gorging when I left him to it.
IMG_0172.JPG
PH 2.JPG
IMG_0323.JPG
Some striking Vanessids were brightening up the place and a few fresh Satyrids lounged around.
Vanessids-down.JPG
I was only here for the morning, I wanted to leave early and get an early night since I had a long day lined up the next day chasing a national rarity, but before leaving I noticed a Skipper taking a keen interest in some grass. There was no need to check it’s ID with a close inspection of the antennae, the foodplant choice, Yorkshire Fog, was enough to pin this one down to a female Small Skipper. No eggs were actually laid but it was still fascinating to watch as she searched for the gap in the blade with the tip of her abdomen.
IMG_0368.JPG
IMG_0373.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I hope they live up to the wait Bugboy as they probably won't be ready until Christmas :shock: :lol: Cracking sets of Purp shots - love the one at an angle where it shimmers metalically :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Been catching up on your diary, Bugboy - you've had a great summer and it's not over yet! Wonderful to see your pics, especially those Purplestreaks :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . Keep them coming :D
Janet
David M

Post by David M »

Good observations, BB, with a distinct contrast in the behaviour of the 'colour purples'. It seems the Emperors have been rather reluctant to display on the ground this year whereas the Hairstreaks have behaved with irregular abandon!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, he gave me plenty of time to get every conceivable angle :D
Thanks Janet, There's still plenty to go yet, I'm a month behind now.... Wurzel is snapping on my heals :lol:
Thanks David. Yes there's been relatively few HIM reports this year compared to previous, even Neil had to resort to Chiddingfold for his fix of groundings this year from the looks of things! This is the third year in a row that the Hairstreaks at Bookham have been bountiful and they seem to go on for ages, I had a reasonably fresh one just three days ago there!

13th July
I’d left adding the Large Blue to the years tally a little late this year (I’m normally at Daneway late June or Early July) but one thing or another had meant I’d not managed to see them yet and with July running away already I wondered whether I’d be too late. Under my own steam Saturday is the only day of the week I can get there (train fares being scandalous during the week and the bus service to Sapperton doesn’t run on a Sunday) and since I work alternate weekends as well, my opportunities are very limited! Anyway the 13th looked like my last chance to get lucky this year, the forecast seemed good and Daneway is late site for them so fingers crossed there’d still be enough on the wing to make the trip worthwhile.

After getting the train to Stroud and then the bus to Sapperton it’s just a short 15 minute stroll along the Wysis Way which pops out at the bottom of the Daneway Inn. The footpath in this part of the world roughly follows the River Frome and is quite a pleasant walk.
A short stretch of the river (barely a trickle to be honest) was canalised at some point and decorated rather extravagantly!
A short stretch of the river (barely a trickle to be honest) was canalised at some point and decorated rather extravagantly!
Despite the prospect of Large Blues mere minutes away I still couldn’t resist stopping to record some of the many butterflies here.
IMG_0007.JPG
Daneway Bank was almost empty of people, I imagine a fortnight previous it would have been crawling with enthusiasts, but within a couple of minutes of walking through the gate a Large Blue flew past me. I managed to keep eyes on it until it settled, unsurprisingly past it’s best but a good sign that I wasn’t too late, it’s unlikely I’d stumbled across the last individual of the year!
IMG_0018.JPG
Being later than usual many of the other butterflies that I’m used to seeing fresh out the box here, Skippers, Browns etc, were also past their best but this beauty stopped me in my tracks 8).
IMG_0028.JPG
I also had a go looking for some eggs but all I found was this cute lady looking back at me :) .
IMG_0037.JPG
I bumped into a chap who had been surveying for Large Blue eggs who confirmed there were still plenty on the wing, mostly at the far end of the site and it was here that another gave me the run-around. It looked quite fresh from what I could see but it never settled within range of my camera. Another one did though, quite often. A few shots taken then I’d lose it as it flew behind a bush or up the slope faster than my legs could follow it, a few minutes later and it would turn up again. four times I re-found it, instantly recognisable from the reduced forewing spotting.
LB.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG
Before taking a well-earned break for lunch at the Inn I managed another one who was most definitely living out her twilight years!
IMG_0153.JPG
An hour later I back on the slope, finding the prize of the day :D. The hazy sun that caused her to open up really made her glow. At one point she opened her wings flat and quivered them, I thought perhaps this was an attempt to attract the attention of a passing male. Being late in the season it’s fair to surmise that males were now a bit thin on the ground, so perhaps she hadn’t yet mated.
IMG_0156.JPG
IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0178.JPG
IMG_0186.JPG
IMG_0190.JPG
This presumption was put to bed when I followed her to some Marjoram and watched her lay.
IMG_0204.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG
One last slow meander around the site threw up just one more aged Blue and a few other fresh butterflies that were worthy of my time and a grasshopper sitting rather proudly atop an Orchid.
Daneway.JPG
IMG_0287.JPG
Well worth the visit in the end
Daneway Banks as viewed from the Wysis Way
Daneway Banks as viewed from the Wysis Way
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love your shots of the Blues Bugboy their colour really stands out :mrgreen: :D Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

My goodness, that last female Large Blue was certainly worth the wait. :) :mrgreen: Absolutely immaculate - to see one without even any slight damage to the fringes is amazing. I imagine those tired-looking males would have come alive when they found her... :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm with Dave on this one that's a cracking final Large Blue, well worth the wait :shock: :mrgreen: Could she have been shivering to get her flight muscles 'warmed' up? Your second looks good for an aberrant :D Well I better get back to trying to catch up with you :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

I have to agree with Dave and Wurzel, what a stunner that female Large Blue was :mrgreen: :D

Max/Mike :D
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks guys, that Blue really was a stunner and luckily I had her for a good 5 minutes so plenty of time to fill my boots with her :D. I'm not sure she needed to warm up Wurzel, as I recall it was pretty warm even when the sun was hiding. Being freshly emerged perhaps she was flexing her flight muscles?

16th July
A warm day with sunny spells in mid-July sounded like a good time for a first visit of the season to see Chobham’s resident Graylings. On any summers day you can probably add a few extra degrees to the predicted temps here so it was an early start in an attempt to avoid the harsh afternoon heat. There was already plenty of activity when I arrived at 8.30
Chobham #1.JPG
Chobham #2.JPG
When I got to the usual hilltopping area the Graylings were at first obvious by their absence but I did find a few fresh female Silver Studded Blues
SSB #1.JPG
The target didn’t stay absent for long though, I was accosted by one who had claimed possession of an old Silver Birch, making a mockery of the old ‘spot the Grayling’ game! As did one trying to hide behind some green grass :roll: !
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG
More males soon began to appear as I explored, putting a bit more effort in the camouflage malarkey. It was clearly early in the flight here, they all looked fresh and I didn’t notice any females lurking and avoiding male attention.
IMG_0139.JPG
IMG_0163.JPG
More SSB were dotted around, some males not looking too shabby.
IMG_0186.JPG
A final attempt at a feeding Grayling lead to an interesting blur, who’d have thought a Grayling in mid take off would bear a passing resemblance a feeding Hummingbird Hawkmoth (or maybe I need to put my reading glasses on...)!
IMG_0197.JPG
In all the years of visiting this place I’ve never actually ventured across the M3 to the southern half of the Common. You’ve probably guessed from the inclusion of that sentence that today I did venture into new territory, stopping off here and there when various butterflies distracted me. A rather nice Peacock slipped through the net but some Whites caught my eye.
IMG_0206.JPG
IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0238.JPG
I also followed a Marbled White around, willing it to settle. This is the first time I’ve ever seen one here, they are definitely spreading at the moment. Sadly it didn’t settle for me.

On the south side there seemed fewer butterflies, perhaps due to it being rather warm now, but I did come across some more SSB
IMG_0251.JPG
IMG_0264.JPG
And a small (and in the warm spell, diminishing pool) was alive with Odonata. Small Red and Azure Damselflies were busy sorting out the next generation and a Four Spotted Chaser sat whilst a couple of Hawkers hawked over the water.
Damsels.JPG
IMG_0306.JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Bugboy,

Just caught up with your report from Daneway Banks. I had my first visit to the site this year and was there just over two weeks before you and many of the Large Blues were already looking worn, both males and females. That female was a great find and the hazy sun you describe would have been much better conditions than the full and hot sun I had all day.

Yep, you are right, a fortnight earlier it was crawling with enthusiasts.

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

I'm so pleased you found those Large Blues, BB, given the effort you put in just to get to Daneway.

That female is surprisingly fresh-looking. I wouldn't have thought that possible given the date. Also nice when they open up, and it seems the weather was ideal for this.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I'm normally one of those hoards on the slope Neil :lol: I was there last year in the middle of the heatwave, 35+ degrees was not pleasant and we stayed over and returned the following morning at 7.30...it was still too late to get them waking up!
I guess I just got lucky with that female David. Unlike other species this year I don't think we can blame the cool June blip for causing any delayed emergences, ants are very good at keeping the nests at optimum temperatures, they came up with air conditioning many millions of years ago!

17th July
After a five day break it was back to Bookham. This time though only for a short time, I’d arranged to meet Millerd and go on to Chiddingfold for Wood White and perhaps, just maybe, something of a purple persuasion :? .

I was however at Bookham long enough to see a few bits and pieces, some Silver-washed Fritillary were still not looking too shabby, the Gatekeepers were now getting into full swing and a Small Copper posed.
Bookham.JPG
Dave found me lurking in the bushes as I tried to get a clear shot of a nice Comma :lol:
IMG_0074.JPG
At Chiddingfold the few Wood Whites that had decided not to wait until next May were flitting weakly around, only one of the ten or so actually settled so I will end the year with just half a dozen images this year. I imaging the cool June encouraged the majority to wait until next year.
IMG_0080.JPG
There was a fair bit else about (but nothing purple). This leaf seemed popular for some reason
IMG_0085.JPG
And some Silver-washed Fritillary put on a decent show.
IMG_0113.JPG
IMG_0128.JPG
IMG_0137.JPG
SWF Gif.gif
Over at the Oaken Wood end Marbled Whites could be found and not long before leaving a White Admiral made for an interesting angle
IMG_0161.JPG
IMG_0170.JPG
Also seen here were other Whites and Brimstones, Red Admirals, Ringlets and Skippers

We still had most of the afternoon left to play with so we plumped for one more site before calling it a day, Denbies to see how the Chalkhills were doing. It was a bit breezy, as always, but the Blues weren’t as numerous as we hoped for, and what was around made it tough going but a bit of determination made the final stop worthwhile.
IMG_0182.JPG
IMG_0208.JPG
IMG_0232.JPG
IMG_0245.JPG
IMG_0263.JPG
A female Dark Green Fritillary made a nice bonus end to the day
IMG_0271.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"Being freshly emerged perhaps she was flexing her flight muscles?" - that's what I meant Bugboy - warming up like a professional cross country sprinter ready to lead unsuspecting butterfly enthusiasts on a merry (and sometimes dangerous on those slopes) dance :D :lol:
Cracking set of Chalkhills and I really like the 'incoming' Silver Washed :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That's a great post, BB, embellished nicely with the moving 'gif'. I have to say those Chalkhills look absolutely superb, and the lighting must have been perfect for you to get both those Meadow Browns to open up simultaneously.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

"ready to lead unsuspecting butterfly enthusiasts on a merry (and sometimes dangerous on those slopes) dance :D :lol:" The far end Wurzel, where the upper slope meets the lower one, ninja mountain goat skills are needed at that end :lol:
Thanks David, Those Meadow Browns just happened to be sitting there as we walked past :)

21st July
Today had the makings of one of my long trips, taking in a number of sites, one of which would be new for me, starting and ending at Tring station. First stop was Aldbury Nowers Nature Reserve a place I’ve not visited at this time of year for a few seasons. I was hoping for a good session with Chalkhill Blues and the odd Dark Green Fritillary… I was also hoping the weather forecast, sunny spells for most the day, would come to fruition. It was a hattrick of fails :roll:. The sun all but vanished by 10, SWF were the only Fritillaries present and it was hard going to find just one Chalkhill.
IMG_0110.JPG
Gatekeepers were very much king on the Satyrid front, the few remaining Ringlets and Meadow Browns looked like they were only just clinging onto life. Not much else was around but what did sit for me was worthy of my attention.
#1.JPG
#2.JPG
#3.JPG
A few Large and Small Skippers, also living out their final days, completed the species list here.

Moving out onto the windswept slopes of the Ridgeway Walk, butterfly life was rather more difficult to locate. Finding sheltered spots out of the wind was the only course of action and considering the conditions proved relatively fruitful.
#4.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG
IMG_0177.JPG
IMG_0184.JPG
Ultimately though the Ridgeway was just a means to get to the next site on the day’s agenda, Pitstone Quarry. Here I caught sight of some blue sky again which warmed the air enough to awaken a few more species to add to the days tally. I was primarily after second brood Small Blues here, which I found, but only a handful. I suspect once again June was to blame, the cold snap curtailing the second brood numbers.
IMG_0200.JPG
IMG_0265.JPG
Gatekeepers were once again the most numerous species but I also found a few other fresh butterflies here and there.
IMG_0246.JPG
#5.JPG
My next stop was the new site for me, Collage Lake Nature Reserve. This is one of the old chalk quarries which litter this part of the world and is primarily a birding site from the looks of things but they do seem to cater for people with other interests and a quick look at the months events I found I came on the right day :lol:!
Collage lake.jpeg
I decided to give the guided walk a miss and go it alone, managing fifteen species during an hours circular walk of the site, helped by a reappearance of the sun (at times).
IMG_0318.JPG
IMG_0353.JPG
#6.JPG
The final part of the day was a walk along the Grand Union Canal back to the station. By this stage the sun had given up but I imaging if it was out there would have been plenty to point my camera at. Still a pleasant end to a nice day out despite the weathers best efforts.

Return to “Personal Diaries”