Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by trevor »

Nail biting suspense, Neil!.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Monarch / Scarce Swallowtail / American Painted Lady / Cardinal (strike out as appropriate).
Or is it something more "mundane" like a Camberwell Beauty?

Bird watchers (and egg collectors) have been known to fall out of trees or off cliffs with some rather serious consequences. Take care Neil.

Jack
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Jack
Fifth time lucky!
A risk assessment was done - then burned.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

What A Beauty!

I'm greatly indebted to Peter (BC Sussex committee stalwart) and Terry Atkinson for the 'phone call on Friday (2 August), which resulted in me being up a stepladder in someone's garden for the second day in a row! Peter had spotted a Camberwell Beauty on his neighbours' Buddleia from the kitchen window and suggested that I might like to visit; I ran half a mile back to the car. I am equally grateful for the hospitality of their neighbours, who must remain anonymous.

The neighbours, who are not butterfly people, revealed that it had been in and out of both their front and back gardens since at least 31 July, at one point coming into the house through an open door (probably searching out a suitable hibernation spot). Although they had noted its exceptional beauty, they were unaware of its identity or rarity.

I was given very generous access to their High Salvington (Worthing) garden on the understanding that I wouldn't trigger a stampede of 'twitchers' to this very quiet residential area, which happened to be the road I lived in during the 1970s. As it turned out, this was the last couple of hours during which the butterfly was seen.

It was a surreal and immensely enjoyable couple of hours; a very large female Camberwell Beauty served with coffee and biscuits (thanks, Terry). This was only the second I've seen in 50 years of butterfly watching, the last being at RSPB Pulborough in 2006.

As with all such sightings these days, provenance is an issue. However, the timing is spot-on for the natural movement of this species, as has been the weather, bringing many migrants to our shores, including notable influxes of Bedstraw Hawk-moth and Dark Crimson Underwing, and the odd Queen of Spain Fritillary (Kent) and Swallowtail. I've just heard news of another Camberwell Beauty in Lancing last week, the details of which I'll be pursuing. This is a good time to be out looking along the coast.
BC Camberwell Beauty (a) High Salvington 2.8.19.jpg
BC Camberwell Beauty (b) High Salvington 2.8.19.jpg
BC Camberwell Beauty (c) High Salvington 2.8.19.jpg
BC Camberwell Beauty (d) High Salvington 2.8.19.jpg
BC Camberwell Beauty (e) High Salvington 2.8.19.jpg
BC Camberwell Beauty (f) High Salvington 2.8.19.jpg
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Its always good to have good contacts. I remember years ago the Bird Pagers going off with Camberwells at Mill Hill.

The 2nd First Sighting this year in Sussex [23rd February] one of these years they will get to breed in the UK.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

You're right MrSp0ck, I can claim no credit - but I do feel very fortunate.
However, I don't think this will be the last exotic to be seen this summer.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Second Brood SPBF

On Sunday (4 August) I took my kids to one of their favourite places; the BC Park Corner Heath & Rowland Wood reserves. I searched for second brood Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries (seeing a male and female in front of the PCH hut) while they expanded their collection of deer bones. As always, the reserve's rich reptile fauna kept them happy, with multiple sightings of Adder, Grass Snake, Common Lizard and Slow-worm.

The Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries were surprisingly difficult to spot. As is sometimes the case with second brood butterflies, the two we saw were minute (not much larger than a Small Heath), but very fast in flight. Other butterfly highlights included a male Chalk Hill Blue, a female Wall laying eggs, two female Dark Green Fritillaries and several freshly emerged Painted Ladies, showing that intense colour seen only in just-hatched individuals.
BC SPBF male, PCH 4.8.19.jpg
BC Painted Lady (1) Rowland Wood 4.8.19.jpg
BC Adder (1) PCH 4.8.19.jpg
BC Painted Lady (2) Rowland Wood 4.8.19.jpg
BC Adder (2) PCH 4.8.19.jpg
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

I wonder what else will have 2nd Broods this year, 3rd August was when the first 2nd Brood Glanville was also seen, hope the violet conditions are still reasonable so any SPBF offspring can get to hibernation size before the autumn. We should be looking out for Dingy, Grizzled, Dukes and Orange Tips also on our travels. I also think we will have some interesting butterflies to spot this August and September.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi MrSp0ck. We do a late July bracken cut on the reserves, specifically to open up areas of the closed canopy. This triggers a late flush of violets (particularly after a little rain :)) and allows some areas to become grassier and herb-rich, which suits SPBF oviposition preferences.

Other areas are left to perform shade-out duties, generating bare ground more suitable for PBF breeding. The reserves are, in effect, zoned, to cater for the different needs of each fritillary.

BWs, Neil
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

I'll certainly be looking out for a Camberwell Beauty this month - I was lucky enough to have one visit my garden during one of the last decent influxes at the end of August a few year ago. They might be difficult to spot amongst the clouds of fresh Painted Ladies/Peacocks/Red Admirals though :wink:
What chance another Long-Tailed Blue "Indian Summer" by the way Neil?

Trev
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Trev
A Long-tailed Blue came in at Saltdean today! I'm hoping there'll be more to come.
BWs, Neil
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

Neil Hulme wrote:Hi Trev
A Long-tailed Blue came in at Saltdean today! I'm hoping there'll be more to come.
BWs, Neil
There was one way inland at Caterham Surrey on Aug 4th a female probably egg laying.

Picture from Surrey BC Sightings page

I know we should have checked the pea on Denbies more on Saturday.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Camberwell Beauty - an inspired guess on my part.

As for twitchers, for more than two weeks in July, I had a Quail doing its “wet-my-lips” call in the cornfield at the back of my garden. I reported it almost daily on the local bird group and to my knowledge, only one twitcher turned up (but did confirm Quail). It’s a scarce but regular species in this part of Scotland. I hear one most years (I live in a predominantly arable area) but of course, have yet to see a Quail (except on a dinner plate – where its minute size provided about two mouthfuls :evil: )

Your photos Neil are always superb. I am aware of the arguments DSLR versus Bridge. For purely web use, I know which one wins hands down – and for a fraction of the cost.

Jack
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Jack. Much appreciated. I was quite pleased with the Camberwell images (but thrilled with the sighting), bearing in mind that they were taken at long range with zoom (bar the underside close-up).

Must rush, I have a Quail in the oven, but I can't resist posting one last shot of my 'butterfly of the year' ... so far.

BWs, Neil
UKB Camberwell Beauty.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those shots are just sublime Neil and the Camberwell is certainly living up to it's name - it's so pristine :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Neil Hulme wrote:I'm greatly indebted to Peter (BC Sussex committee stalwart) and Terry Atkinson for the 'phone call on Friday (2 August), which resulted in me being up a stepladder in someone's garden for the second day in a row! Peter had spotted a Camberwell Beauty on his neighbours' Buddleia from the kitchen window and suggested that I might like to visit...
I certainly wasn't expecting that, Neil!

No wonder you ran like a greyhound.

It's a lovely specimen as well - when I see CBs on the continent they're usually faded and battle-weary.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Wurzel and David. She had just one minor tear in her hind-wing margin and some light scale loss, so I doubt she could have been more than a week old. But let's face it ... any Camberwell Beauty is a sight for sore eyes.

Apparently one seen in Bucks yesterday.

BWs Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

More Second Brood SPBF

On Thursday (8 August) I spent most of the day at the Park Corner Heath & Rowland Wood reserves, waiting for the grey cloud to lift. However, there was periodically sufficient sunshine to get things moving, particularly later in the afternoon. Highlights of the day were two Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary (one on each reserve), a male Wall Brown (a rare sight in woodland) and the currently ubiquitous Painted Lady.

An earlier visit on 5 August produced four SPBF and a very nice Adder.
BC SPBF (2) PCH 8.8.19.jpg
BC SPBF (1) PCH 8.8.19.jpg
BC Wall, Rowland Wood 8.8.19.jpg
BC Painted Lady, Rowland Wood 8.8.19.jpg
BC Adder PCH 5.8.19.jpg
BC SPBF male, PCH 5.8.19.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Great to see 2nd brood SPBFs, Neil, and a nice bonus to have Painted Ladies, Wall Browns and adders.

Impressive stuff!
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, David. The BC reserves in Sussex have plenty more to give yet. Park Corner Heath & Rowland Wood are going to get seriously good in the next year or two, thanks to our wonderful volunteers!
BWs, Neil

Return to “Personal Diaries”