Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I suppose that makes good sense as a survival strategy Martin - not putting all your eggs in one basket (or web as in this case). If I forget to look in the Spring can you try to remember to give me a nudge (by email) please.

I did not set out to take more shots of Chalkhills today. I was rather hoping I might spot a SSS but it was not to be. I almost trod on the first mating pair I came across in the middle of the path. I carefully moved them to some vegetation at the side and thought I would see how the females were faring. That was the first mating pair of many - possibly 10-12 pairs. At one point I could see 5 mating pairs from where I stood. I did not see a single female that wasn't already in cop and the many males in the area were barging in on these couples in between searching for their own female. I assume the females are still newly emerging and are being pounced on just as soon as they do.
P1240723ad.jpg
P1240724ad.jpg
P1240744ad.jpg
There are 3 butterflies in this photo:
P1240747ad.jpg
P1240753ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of reports Pauline - I'm trying to catch up and stay on top of reading other people's PDs but it's quite difficult as there's so much going on :oops: Love those Chalkhills :D :mrgreen: I know what you mean about the Hedgies - at this time of year I think "False Hairstreak" would be a more fitting name for them :roll: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - that's a great name. I shall call them that from now on :D

Just a quick question in case anyone should know. Doing some stuff in the garden I noticed one of my roses had been eaten by something tho' I couldn't find the culprit. It is a very distinctive feeding pattern across most of the leaves. Any ideas?:
P1240813ad.jpg
and a quick update on the Comma larva who has gone through another couple of instars. I just missed him shedding his skin but still got another chance hopefully:
P1240622ad.jpg
P1240705ad.jpg
P1240780ad.jpg
P1240820ad.jpg
P1240822ad.jpg
The Common Blue has now pupated:
P1240795ad.jpg
meiga

Post by meiga »

Hi Pauline

The holes are caused by a leaf-cutter bee.

Cheers

Maurice
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I was going to suggest the same thing as Meiga Pauline :D Love the posture in the penultimate Comma shot :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Maurice and Wurzel - I have so much to learn but it is fascinating. I have spent some time today watching bees in the garden and I wonder if these are the leaf-cutters? I have yet to catch one in action.
P1240930ad.jpg
P1240920ad.jpg
P1240949ad.jpg
I have looked online but cannot find the difference between male and female - or a positive ID. My roses are taking a hammering as I have now noticed various other insects on them including several of these - saw fly?
P1240883ad.jpg
The RA which replaced the SWF has now been replaced by a couple of Peacocks:
P1240845ad.jpg
Can you tell I'm not getting out much? :roll: :lol: I couldn't go far as the animals were suffering from the heat especially poor little Magnet who now seems to be OK:
P1240848a.jpg
I did manage to get to Shipton today and saw a few BH high up but nothing low down except 3 Wall Brown. This is another first for me. I have never seen them at this site although I know they are present. I never managed a shot of the 2 pristine examples, only managing to catch up with the tired battered individual - so like myself :wink: :lol:
P1240904ad.jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the Shots of the Chalkhills Pauline , lovely :mrgreen: :D Goldie :D
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Hi Pauline, after I saw you at Shipton Bellinger today I managed to see a male and female Brown Hairstreak down together (not on the same flower), which I have never seen before. They were nectaring on a sprig of creeping thistle from around mid-day. This was on the other side of the track from the main hedge. Pretty lucky to have seen them as they were the only ones I did see!

Regards
Mike
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Morning Mike, good to see you again. Thank you for letting me know (she says thru gritted teeth :wink: :lol: ). Seriously, I knew if anyone could find them it would be you. I left the site round about mid-day having been there for several hours, so either I walked past them or they weren't there when I passed by. :( I may have to pay a return visit if Noar Hill doesn't start producing the goods soon!
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Hi Pauline, I was very lucky to find the Brown Hairstreaks down as I could not see any others even though conditions were very good. My guess is that they are emerging slowly and could be easier to catch up with during the next fine weather spell. I spoke to someone who had seen some around a week ago here, but no others were seen by other people I met. Noarhill could well be a better bet as you know it well. They seem to be showing well at Alners Gorse if you fancy a trip into darkest Dorset.

Mike
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You're being too modest Mike :) I have never been to Alners Gorse so who knows? But for now I think I'll take your advice and give Noar Hill another try.

Cheers Goldie - glad you like the Chalkhills. Hope you like these little beauties too. It was good to see half a dozen SSS in overcast conditions this morning. It was even better to bump into 4 volunteers from QECP who were doing a transect and monitoring the number of SSS as one of them told me a great deal of work was planned for October to clear the scrub. Apparently machinery is available that would clear the whole lot but they want to adopt a more sympathetic approach and be a bit more selective. Whatever they do, let's hope it isn't too little too late!
P1240990ad.jpg
P1250012ad.jpg
P1250018ad.jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely little Skippers Pauline, wish I was there :D Hall-Lee-Brook near me could do with a good shrub cut back the Blackberry.s have completely taken over there, I think that's probably why my GARDENS get all these Butterflies, I shouldn't grumble , hope they keep coming. :D Goldie :D
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Glad you like them Goldie - hopefully there will be more to come. I'm very envious of all the Painted Ladies in your garden :D I saw one today (well, half of one) and it was so ragged and paper thin it was hardly recognisable - but I took a shot anyway :roll: Goodness knows how many birds have had a go at it!
P1250118ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

At last! But worth waiting for :D Glad I took your advice False Apollo!
P1250110ad.jpg
P1250107ad.jpg
Hopefully there'll be more where that came from :)
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

..... or is this a better crop? - probably!
P1250110bd.jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Again! lovely shots Pauline, those Hair Streaks have eluded me for years , :roll: One day perhaps!!!!! :D Goldie :D
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

OMG!!! If you want to see a REALLY stunning BH you should look at the BC Sussex website. What a fantastic insect. He could raise funds for BC by selling tickets :lol:
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm sure you'll catch up with them eventually M :) :)

My brief trip out yesterday was a welcome break from the 3 trips to the vet and the worry of a budgie that had prolapsed. After some urgent and complex surgery she is now home but still not out of the woods. The various Painted Ladies I saw were a welcome distraction if only for a short while. In total I saw 4 in varying condition ranging from this:
P1250194ad.jpg
to these:
P1250188ad.jpg
P1250139ad.jpg
P1250159ad.jpg
P1250183ad.jpg
P1250164ad.jpg
P1250187ad.jpg
.... but still not a single one in the garden :(
David M

Post by David M »

Love the Brown Hairstreaks, Pauline. They will give me something to look forward to when I get home from Spain.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Looks like they're on their way though Pauline :D Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”