False Apollo

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: False Apollo

Post by Wurzel »

Is it the warmer temperatures or the presence of the sun that brings out the Cloudies Mike? If it's the later I might have to make my way back to Dorset :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Is it right that they've been see down there in every month of the year except January? Is the colony still persisting throughout the year with larvae holding on through the winter? It is such a reliable spot for them.

Dave

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

On the off chance I might see a Purple Emperor I visited Straits Enclosure at Alice Holt, Hampshire this morning, but was put off as soon as I arrived by a chap who was leaving after waiting 2 hours without seeing any. I did manage to see my first White Admiral, Silver-washed Fritillaries and Ringlets of the year though. I then decided to try my luck at nearby Abbotts Wood. The track was being used by cyclists so any that may be on the ground would soon move off. I decided to turn back to the car, and then suddenly I put up a male Purple Emperor. It did not go far, but was very restless in the heat. It did behave a little strangely as it kept flying into cover on either side of the path, then moving on, skimming the path. Then it started it's groundings but was only down for 30 seconds at once in any one spot. It grounded 4 or 5 times before doubling back towards where I first saw it, then glided up effortlessly moving into the wood. I first saw it down at 12.30. I never saw any more despite checking the usual favoured areas.

Regards
Mike
Attachments
White Admiral
White Admiral
Male Silver-washed Fritillary
Male Silver-washed Fritillary
Male Purple Emperor
Male Purple Emperor
Male Purple Emperor
Male Purple Emperor

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good going Mike :D :mrgreen: That often seems to be the way - just as you turn to leave the butterflies appear :roll: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Certainly seems that way. Had I not been in the right place at the right time, I could have made the trip for nothing. However I do love the wood so I would have been well compensated by what I did see. It's a beautiful area to visit.

Regards
Mike

trevor

Post by trevor »

Well done Mike, the three Summer spectaculars in one visit, no need to go out again ! :lol: .

Trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

First Emperor image of the season on here (to my knowledge).

Well done, Mike.

False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

Visited Shipton Bellinger today for Brown Hairstreaks. After a long walk around the circuit amongst the blackthorns I was lucky to come across a female and a male down on creeping thistle around mid-day. I think this is the first time I have photographed both sexes nectaring in the same shot. Earlier I had met Pauline who had see some over some trees, and I was struggling to seen any up until mid-day. Also saw 5 Wall Browns, Silver Washed and Dark Green Fritillaries.

Regards
Mike Gibbons
Attachments
Male and female Brown Hairstreaks on creeping thistle.
Male and female Brown Hairstreaks on creeping thistle.
Female Brown Hairstreak on creeping thistle.
Female Brown Hairstreak on creeping thistle.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely shots too Mike. As you say, unusual to get 2 (of any sex) in one shot - but then I wouldn't expect any less from you :). Really pleased for you :D :mrgreen:
David M

Post by David M »

Nice work, Mike. Whenever I notice your PD has been updated I always expect something good. :)

Return to “Personal Diaries”