Warmley Forest Park good for essex skipper

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
eccles

Warmley Forest Park good for essex skipper

Post by eccles »

The top meadow past the wood at Warmley Forest Park seems to be a pretty good spot for essex skipper, more so than small skipper, although those can be found on the lower slope below the wood.
I got this one yesterday.
DSC01341.jpg
DSC01341.jpg (92.02 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
wavelea1

Re: Warmley Forest Park good for essex skipper

Post by wavelea1 »

Nice pic Eccles
Against the odds this little blighter seems to be spreading its habitat - I've not seen one of these down here so far but I recorded one at Hickling Broad in Norfolk a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd report it to the warden. He said it was a first for that area. I'm pleased one of them is doing well.

Peacocks seem rare in my garden this year and we haven't recorded a Small Tortoiseshell yet although there are whites in abundance.

Wavelea1
Denise

Post by Denise »

Nice pic eccles. That's where my Essex are coming from I expect.

Hi Wavelea1, I also have no Peacocks or Small Torts, but whites, Speckled Wood and Gatekeepers galore.
I've only had Red Admiral for the last week.
Funny old year .

Cheers
Denise
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Hi Denise

I'm getting withdrawal symptoms - this bl***y weather. We have just a few months to keep us buoyant for the rest of the year and it rains - not just any rain but M&S rain.

First good days of the next couple of weeks and I have sites lined up for the Brown Hairstreak and SSSkipper - neither of which I have photographed before but I (and you I suspect) and the whole British tourist industry needs it to stop. If this is global warming then I fear for many of our native species. Still I have had a good year so far.

I live in Pucklechurch and I have recorded 13 species in my small garden - not bad for on an estate...

Mike
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

I find that Essex Skipper tends to turn up in areas of tall, uncut grass - often places that are fairly fertile so usually quite butterfly species-poor. Arable field margins can be a good place to look.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Matsukaze
I remember, a few years ago, stopping in a lay-by on a dual carriageway section of the A303, (not far from the Haynes Motor Museum) to stretch my legs, and finding the verges swarming with Essex Skippers.
I had my camera with me, and spent a good half hour (on company time :wink: ) clambering up and down, and wandering along, the embankment.
In the end a Police car stopped and asked me what I was doing, and would I stop as I was a distraction to the other drivers! :lol: :lol:
However, you are right - areas of tall, uncut, grass were just the habitat I found them in there.
Roger
Cheers

Roger
Denise

Post by Denise »

I went here today and was very pleased to see good numbers of Common Blue, at least 20 fresh males.
Also seen were 2 Large Skipper, 7 Painted Lady, 1 Peacock and lots of 'white' and Speckled Wood.
What I didn't expect were the day flying moths, Burnet Companion, Mother Shipton and Chimney Sweeper (the latter being my first.) :D
This site will really come into its own in the next few weeks as the 'brown' butterflies appear. The meadows are ready.

Denise
(more on my blog)
Denise
eccles

Post by eccles »

Jerrry and I Visited the park this morning hoping for marbled white. Unfortunately they're not there yet but it's early days. There were lots of meadow brown and five spot burnet. Also seen were common blue, cinnabar, chimney sweeper, burnet companion and mother shipton. At the pond were emperor, four spot chaser (not seen this one at Warmley before), broad bodied chaser, azure and large red damselflies and banded demoiselle. Searching a scrubby patch off Golden Valley Road at Bitton we saw white legged damselfly, beautiful demoiselle, more meadow brown, speckled wood and four bee orchids.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Essex Skipper are now out in the area - one at Lower Swainswick near Bath today.

Return to “Sites”