Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Botany Bay & Knepp 12.7.19

On Friday morning (12 July) I visited Botany Bay, primarily to enjoy the male Purple Emperors which are still coming to ground. While there, I saw the first (2) male Wood Whites of the second brood.

I later joined a cameraman working for Big Wave Productions, to film some of the more extreme aerial antics of Purple Emperors at Knepp. They put on a spectacular show for us. The footage will be included in a short film for the South Downs National Park Authority.
BC Wood White, Botany Bay 12.7.19.jpg
Andy Wilson

Post by Andy Wilson »

Jack Harrison wrote:Not all that much difference from the scientist’s view and my own. I had been unhappy with the implication in David’s comments that an army of ants had “attacked” a lively healthy Purple Emperor. You observed that the ants finished off a sick (or immobile) insect: I suggested that they dealt with an already dead one.

Jack
Does it matter? Neither ants nor Purple Emperors have the luxury of human morals. It is, as Darwin said better than anyone, "the struggle for life."
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

26 Species In A Hectare

This afternoon (15 July) I set out to record as many species of butterfly as I could on a single site; something I haven't attempted for quite a few years now. As I only had a couple of hours to spare, it had to be a local venue, so the obvious choice was Springhead (Kithurst) Hill. This site might only be a hectare in size, but it supports an impressive list of species.

I managed a total of 26, which included Essex Skipper, Small Skipper, Large Skipper, Large White, Small White, Green-veined White, Brimstone, Speckled Wood, Small Heath, Ringlet, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Marbled White, Silver-washed Fritillary, Dark Green Fritillary, Purple Emperor, Red Admiral, Painted Lady, Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell, Comma, Small Copper, Holly Blue, Brown Argus, Common Blue and Chalk Hill Blue. I think that would be hard to beat in July, but it's certainly possible at locations such as Newtimber Hill, Friston Gallops and Cissbury Ring.

Springhead Hill is currently well worth a visit just to see the wildflowers; the meadow and banks are a riot of colour. There is a very good crop of our county flower, Round-headed Rampion ('Pride of Sussex'), which is particularly common along the road bank.
BC Chalk Hill Blue male, Springhead Hill 15.7.19.jpg
BC Chalk Hill Blue female, Springhead Hill 15.7.19.jpg
BC Common Blue male underside, Springhead Hill 15.7.19.jpg
BC Common Blue male, Springhead Hill 15.7.19.jpg
BC Round-headed Rampion, Springhead Hill 15.7.19.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Last Emperor Down?

Yesterday (16 July) I made what will probably be my last visit to Botany Bay this summer, primarily to look at the second brood of Wood White. The emergence is still in its early days, so they proved quite difficult to track down. However, by late afternoon I'd seen four individuals, including a female which I watched rejecting the advances of a male and occasionally laying eggs.

The appearance of second brood Wood White usually coincides with the end of the period during which the male Purple Emperor regularly comes to ground, and when their fast and furious morning flights subside (thereafter it becomes an 'afternoon butterfly'). This season is no different and the single opportunity to enjoy a male emperor on the forest road may prove to be my last for 2019. Fortunately, this individual spent more than an hour on one of my baits and entertained a large number of happy visitors.

My thanks to Dawn & Jim for showing me the spectacular Broad-leaved Helleborines on site.
BC Wood White female (1) Botany Bay 16.7.19.jpg
BC Wood White male, Botany Bay 16.7.19.jpg
BC Wood White female (2) Botany Bay 16.7.19.jpg
BC Purple Emperor (1) Botany Bay 16.7.19.jpg
BC Purple Emperor (2) Botany Bay 16.7.19.jpg
BC Broad-leaved Helleborine, Botany Bay 16.7.19.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Sad that the Emperor 'grounding' season looks to be over, Neil, but second brood Wood Whites are good compensation...not to mention those helleborines!
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Big Butterfly Count

Today (21 July) I performed my first Big Butterfly Count of 2019, with one of the deep coombes at Chantry Hill living up to my expectations. I decided to wait until I'd bagged something of note, such as a confirmed Essex Skipper, before starting the 15 minute count. What I didn't expect was a huge Purple Empress gliding majestically over the flowery slope! Within a few minutes a male Clouded Yellow (my first of the year) came zooming past.

My final tally, comprising 132 individuals of 21 species, included: Purple Emperor (1), Clouded Yellow (1), Dark Green Fritillary (17), Silver-washed Fritillary (1), Marbled White (8), Chalk Hill Blue (5), Common Blue (1), Brown Argus (2), Small Copper (2), Small Heath (1), Small Tortoiseshell (1), Red Admiral (1), Peacock (3), Meadow Brown (33), Gatekeeper (26), Essex Skipper (1), Small Skipper (12), Large Skipper (1), Large White (5), Small White (9) and Brimstone (1).

Chantry Hill is currently awash with colourful flowers, including one of my favourites, Field Scabious.
BC Peacock, Chantry Hill 21.7.19.jpg
BC Field Scabious, Chantry Hill 21.7.19.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Chalk Grayling

I spent much of today (22 July) in Deep Dean (Wilmington), counting and observing Grayling; my total of 17 individuals included four females, which I followed to determine egg-laying site preferences. It was very satisfying to find the males repeatedly thermoregulating in the artificial rabbit scrapes we made last winter. The scrub work along the top of the slope also appears to be beneficial, with quite a few males holding territory amongst the woody litter and bare ground here. The pony grazing has certainly knocked the Tor-grass back, but more work is needed next spring, early in the growing season.
BC Grayling (1) male, Deep Dean, Wilmington 22.7.19.jpg
BC Grayling (2) female, Deep Dean, Wilmington 22.7.19.jpg
BC Grayling (3) male, Deep Dean, Wilmington 22.7.19.jpg
BC Grayling (4) male, Deep Dean, Wilmington 22.7.19.jpg
BC Grayling (5) male, Deep Dean, Wilmington 22.7.19.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Neil :D How are they doing number wise there? I went to my local site (Godshill nr Fordingbridge) on Saturday and they were putting on a very good showing there :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Andy Wilson

Post by Andy Wilson »

This is excellent news about the last remaining chalk Grayling site in Sussex. I hope to get down there soon.

Thank you for all the management work that is being done and we live in hope that the colony will expand and disperse more widely in the South Downs.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

At least they have emerged, Neil. After such low numbers the last couple of seasons, Neil, I had doubts whether the site would be rescued in time. More work required for sure, but the management already carried out buys a bit of time. Congratulations to you all, long May this success continue.
trevor

Post by trevor »

I was going to say ' great news ' but I think ' better news ' is more apt.
The woody litter between the edge of the Gorse and the path that runs along the hill,
is where I found most Graylings last year. 10 were seen if I remember.

All the best,
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

Good to see the Graylings return again, Neil. Hopefully these populations will thrive given the measures put in place to assist them.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Wurzel, Andy, Mark, Trevor and David. I'm hoping that we might see numbers rise significantly above this early season count, as I feel that the species is in dire trouble in Sussex. I'm confident that we're doing everything we can, but only time will tell if we can do enough. Getting them back into Ewe Dean (the bowl by the reservoir, on the way up) and onto Lullington Heath ASAP will be critical.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Cissbury Silver-spots

Yesterday (24 July) evening I found 17 Silver-spotted Skippers in the most southerly compartment of Cissbury Ring, although I'm sure that the hot weather will have triggered the emergence of many more by now. I suspect that the species may have spread to other parts of the site due to ongoing improvements in the habitat, so would appreciate hearing from anyone who finds them beyond the squares TQ137076, TQ137077, TQ136077 or TQ135076.
BC SSSk Cissbury Ring 24.7.19.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely image in the weak light, Neil. Let's hope they have a good season.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

More Grayling

Another hot and sweaty session at Deep Dean today (29 July) provided more important information on the resident Grayling population and particularly the butterfly's egg-laying preferences. With valuable input from Malcolm, Tom and Bob's party, a total of 22 individuals were recorded, suggesting that the population has stabilised, at an albeit perilously low level.

On the ascent, Malcolm photographed a female below the reservoir, highlighting the importance of getting Ewe Dean back under heavy grazing. A couple more Grayling (males) were seen on the chalk track up to Windover Hill, so the species is now dispersing. Lullington Heath is well worth searching by those with a pioneering spirit.

Aside from those females I've watching laying on Sheep's-fescue, I've also seen quite a few eggs laid on wiry rootlets, matching Patrick Moore's observations. Today I saw three eggs being laid on rootlets protruding from the overturned turfs cut when we made the artificial rabbit excavations. Many Grayling are using these man-made features to thermoregulate or rest in. The cuts into the upper scrub line are also proving their value, with many individuals seen here. I'm becoming increasingly confident that our management plan is a good one.

I later moved on to the BC reserves, where I found a rare aberrant Gatekeeper, ab. albidus. No sign of second brood Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary yet, although the poor June weather may have scuppered their prospects this year.
BC Grayling male, Deep Dean 29.7.19.jpg
BC Grayling egg, Deep Dean 29.7.19.jpg
BC Grayling female, Deep Dean 29.7.19.jpg
BC Gatekeeper ab. albidus, PCH 29.7.19.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Cissbury Ring & Knepp Wildland

I found 41 Silver-spotted Skippers on the southern flank of Cissbury Ring today (31 July), under cloudy and cool conditions; I suspect there are plenty more around. Many were trying to warm up on dried cowpats. The poor conditions precluded a wider search of the site.

I later moved on to the Knepp Wildland, to say goodbye to the Purple Emperor; just one of each sex seen. There were a few very smart Red Admirals on parade.
BC SSSk female, Cissbury Ring 31.7.19.jpg
BC SSSk female (1), Cissbury Ring 31.7.19.jpg
BC SSSk male, Cissbury Ring 31.7.19.jpg
BC SSSk male (1), Cissbury Ring 31.7.19.jpg
BC Red Admiral, Knepp Wildland 31.7.19.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Strange Day

What a strange day! On the way back home from a job interview, I picked up a voicemail from Martin Kalaher - "would the image of an aberrant Brown Hairstreak I've sent you be of any interest?". I reserved judgement until I got to my computer - "yes, it would!" (see BC Sussex website). After picking myself off the floor, I arranged with Martin that he would call me if it reappeared, as I headed out to count Silver-spotted Skippers on Cissbury Ring.

I was approaching the ramparts and heading for a chat with a chap from Essex, who was enjoying his first sightings of this species (we met later, giving me the opportunity to explain my odd behaviour), when my 'phone went off. I immediately ran back down the hill, in the style of Forrest Gump.

Unfortunately I was too late to see Martin's extreme and extremely beautiful aberrant, but I did very much enjoy my first (and long overdue) visit to his stunning wildlife garden in Storrington - it was heaving with butterflies. Despite the wide range of species on show, I was particularly taken with a beautiful female Meadow Brown. I hope to receive another call from Martin tomorrow.

Once back on Cissbury Ring, it didn't take me too long to count 150 Silver-spotted Skippers.
BC SSSk (1) Cissbury Ring 1.8.19.jpg
BC SSSk (2) Cissbury Ring 1.8.19.jpg
BC SSSk (3) Cissbury Ring 1.8.19.jpg
BC SSSk (4) Cissbury Ring 1.8.19.jpg
BC Meadow Brown, Martin Kalaher's garden 1.8.19.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for the update on the Grayling situation, Neil. Hopefully this colony can be assisted to prevent it disappearing.

I also hope you get to see that extraordinary Brown Hairstreak aberrant. It is amazing. :shock:
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi David. Unfortunately the Brown Hairstreak aberrant (ultra rare and unnamed) never showed again, despite Martin Kalaher spending many hours waiting at the top of the stepladder he used to photograph it from.

Yesterday morning (2 August) I spent a few hours enjoying the wealth of butterflies and wildflowers at Kithurst Meadow, including this Holly Blue. Rather bizarrely, I was then to spend the rest of that day up a stepladder in someone else's garden, again waiting for a rarity. This time I got lucky!

I've promised not to advertise the presence of this butterfly until it has disappeared, to protect the privacy of the homeowner and neighbours.

BWs, Neil
BC Holly Blue, Kithurst Hill 2.8.19.jpg
BC Photographing X (c) Terry Atkinson.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”