August 2008

Discussion forum for sightings.
jellyang

August 2008

Post by jellyang »

Can you believe that August is here already ?

Late July was great weather for most of us so lets hope that August is the same .

Here in Norfolk today it is warm but breezy so nothing new to report apart from common garden butterflies.

Happy Hunting!

Angie
eccles

Re: August 2008

Post by eccles »

Our local forecaster said this evening that July temperatures were 'average' whilst rainfall was twice the average for the region. The last week was the saving grace for the month.
On my rather small local patch, butterfly emergences have been patchy, some ok, others late or lower numbers than usual. Gatekeepers were late but are now around in good numbers. Marbled white and small/essex skipper have been poor. I usually get one or two brown argus but haven't seen a single one at the spot this year.
I saw a single small copper yesterday in quite good condition but missed a shot. I found it again today, and assuming it's the same one, it's been battling hard for its territory as it's already very shabby. A shame as the background was nice and rather better condition would have set up a possible August competition entry.
DSC01305.jpg
DSC01305.jpg (83.83 KiB) Viewed 4075 times
I caught this pair of common blues at the same spot today:
DSC01326.jpg
DSC01326.jpg (123.07 KiB) Viewed 4083 times
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

First Painted Lady of the summer, it was extremly windy the last couple of days and this butterfly must have been caught in the terrible weather.
100_6945.jpg
100_6945.jpg (87.36 KiB) Viewed 3990 times
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

Wood White at Oaken Wood today, more info in Gruditch's blog section!

Shirley Roulston

Had a nice surprise to see this Wall Brown sunbathing on the wood chipping. Does any one know how exactly to use a close up lens that I bought for my camera, if you zoom it in to the butterfly the picture is totally blurred, is it a case of that the camera has to be close to the butterfly before you zoom in, any ideas
my pictures 696.jpg
my pictures 696.jpg (151.64 KiB) Viewed 3738 times
Last edited by Shirley Roulston on Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
bugmadmark

Post by bugmadmark »

I found 6 excellent condition Brown Argus on the same Thistle this morning on my way into work. Next to the Meadow Browns also on the same plant these guys looked so tiny yet looked striking agaisnt the purple Thistle flowers! It's the first time I've seen these in years so it took me by surprise. They were lapping up the first rays of sunshine as it hit the hedgerow at 9am. They were no where to be seen on my way home - why didnt I take the camera - I could have touched these guys with my finger - I think they knew I hadnt got my camera with me! Mark.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Just had my first Hummingbird Hawk Moth of 2008 around the hanging baskets at work - by the time I'd finished my phone conversation and run outside to have a clsoer look it had buggered off :(
Denise

Post by Denise »

After having months of no Peacocks in my garden, 3 turned up together today in dull overcast and quite breezy conditions.
Also about a dozen fresh Meadow brown (male) and a splurge of female Gatekeeper.
Still no Small Torts though.

Cheers
Denise
Attachments
IMG_3893 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3893 (Medium).JPG (48.28 KiB) Viewed 3656 times
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

There was some talk of a few forum members visiting Whitecross Green Woods this coming weekend a while ago I think...
I can't be there, but I can tell you that the Brown Hairstreaks are appearing. I went there yesterday on the way home from Aston Rowant and found one which decided to do a passable impression of it's purple cousin... it perched at the top of an oak tree for ages. After clambering around in the leaves, it finally rested on a twig about 30ft up, where I managed this shot with a long lens.

Cheers,

Trev
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

Hello,

6 August 2008
With the weather conditions ameliorated enough to make a trip to Mill Hill,
Shoreham, worthwhile, it seemed as though I have missed the main emergence
of Chalkhill Blue Butterflies for 2008 as the very poor showing of 43 (with
one female) on the 1.2 acre transect on the lower slopes indicated. The
maximum count in 30 minutes this year was 81, the lowest ever recorded since
counts began in 2003. The highest count was in 2003 with a conservative
estimated 375 but probably more like 750 in an acre. There were nearly as
many fresh male Adonis Blues with 37 noted on the lower slopes. A fresh
brood and frequent occurrence of Speckled Woods was noted in Buckingham
Park, Shoreham. Sixteen species of butterfly were definitely identified on
an overcast day.

Chalkhill Blues Maximum Day Total Annual Chart for Mill Hill
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Butterfly-lis ... Blues03-08

Mill Hill 2008
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/MillHill2008.html
Shoreham Bank 2008
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/VetchTrail2008.htm

Cheers

Andy Horton
glaucus@hotmail.com
Adur Valley Nature Notes (including Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex)
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Adur2008.html
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Adur2007.html
-----------------------------------------
Shirley Roulston

Small Copper
my pictures 746.jpg
my pictures 746.jpg (146.35 KiB) Viewed 3549 times
Annie

Post by Annie »

lots of Large Whites today at work, and I just rescued a Southern Hawker (I think) which had been trying to cop. with a VW Golf and ended upside down in a puddle. It's now drying out nicely on the hanging lobelia :D
eccles

Post by eccles »

Emerging in numbers now around the local reserve and other wild places. It's common, but I still think this is an awesome looking butterfly. We are fortunate that this beauty still abounds.
DSC07697.jpg
DSC07697.jpg (110.46 KiB) Viewed 3402 times
James M

Post by James M »

The first butterfly visited the Buddleia today, a Large White and that's it! A few passing Meadow Browns in recent days are the only other butterflies I've seen. I really hope it begins to pick up soon, looking at weather charts and models however it seems we will be in for an unsettled spell for a while, but hopefully they will change.
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

I get the feeling by looking at the sightings, that I'm the only one to have gone out today, Got this Chalkhill blue today, in "slightly" wet and windy conditions. :D

Gruditch
650 CHB Harebell 5.jpg
650 CHB Harebell 5.jpg (69.8 KiB) Viewed 3261 times
Susie

Post by Susie »

I had a glimpse of a Brown Hairstreak in the front garden today. :D
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

One lone red admiral here in our garden (seems there is only ever one, never any more)

Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
sandraandkevin

Post by sandraandkevin »

Sandra and I went to Bernwood Forest today in very windy conditions to see if we could see our first Brown Hairstreaks of the year.

We saw 5 individuals, 3 males and 2 feamles of which one was egg laying.

Sandra managed to get some photos of this beautiful butterfly and they are attached.

Kevin and Sandra Standbridge
Attachments
Brown Hairstreak 3
Brown Hairstreak 3
Brown Hairstreak by Sandra Standbridge.jpg (122.33 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
Brown Hairstreak 2
Brown Hairstreak 2
Brown Hairstreak by Sandra Standbridge no 3.jpg (108.94 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
brown hairstreak
brown hairstreak
Brown Hairstreak by Sandra Standbridge no 2.jpg (123.2 KiB) Viewed 3157 times
Denise

Post by Denise »

What great pictures. Well done Sandra.
It's been wet and windy in the south west again but I hope to get out soon to find some for myself.

Denise
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi all,
Some news for the last week or so in Sussex: Brown Hairstreaks have been seen regularly at RSPB Pulborough Brooks, which is a known 'hotspot' for the species. But rather than spend much time here this year, I've been looking at a couple of previously unknown sites, where I discovered eggs in the winter. Spending a little time searching for new sites in this manner is very rewarding, especially when you go back and locate adults. The shot below was taken at Cissbury Ring. Over the past few days I've also seen them at Steyning Rifle Range where, despite 'iffy' weather, brief visits have produced 2 females and a male perched at low level. Were it not for the strong wind blowing her off her perch, I would have a 'flat', open wing shot of a pristine female by now! :twisted: The Wall is having a good season here (Steyning), as it is elsewhere in Sussex. I've had counts of 14 and 12 during my last two visits. Quite a few other sites (e.g. Mill Hill at Shoreham, Frog Firle at Seaford) have produced numbers in the teens and twenties. Lots of Wasp Spiders at Steyning Rifle Range too. Web remains show that they rather enjoy the odd Roesel's Bush Cricket for tea. Grayling have been doing well at their Sussex stronghold behind Windover Hill. 27 were counted despite high winds and rain during a recent 'Sussex Grayling Festival' event. On the way down the hill we found a glow-worm larva attacking a slug. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Neil
P1050743_Brown Hair Cissbury.jpg
P1050743_Brown Hair Cissbury.jpg (252.58 KiB) Viewed 3018 times
P1060251_Wall Steyning.jpg
P1060251_Wall Steyning.jpg (249.13 KiB) Viewed 3018 times
WASP SPIDER.jpg
WASP SPIDER.jpg (238.68 KiB) Viewed 3008 times
GLOW-WORM LARVA.jpg
GLOW-WORM LARVA.jpg (209.18 KiB) Viewed 3002 times

Return to “Sightings”