sonomoha

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
sonomoha

Re: sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

David M wrote: Lol! Yes, it must be that much harder when it falls near midsummer! How did you get those two butterflies on your hand?
Impact damage in summer 2018 and this year it's sd slot. Building up a bad reputation with hands loved only by insects and spiders, not cameras :lol: :lol:
This was in the morning. So, matter of luck, if you approach a finger some hop on like this specklie. Obviously, strictly and only for non-vulnerable lads.
I can't name many of them but it relaxes me to take photos of butterflies and moths :lol: :lol:
Please drop me an email for photo walks. Here are my online galleries: FlickR ; Instagram ; 500px
sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

Wurzel wrote:What other species did you get to see in Italy?
Have a goodun
Wurzel
The place was really colourful and distracting. Nearly no photos made, just some eye candy.
Aporia (few) and green-veined white by the waterfalls, away from the field with everyone else.
Colias (discret numbers)
Common blue, Brown argus and other odd unidentified blues
Orange-tip (not many for the season)
Peacock (few in upper field)
Skippers (many large and few grizzled)
Small Copper (massive colony of regulars and few blue markings ab )
Small heath (discret numbers). There was another from the Coenonympha genus but I can not nail the ID. Probably a C. arcania after I had a look here but not sure at all.

This field was so tiny that I was overwhelmed to see that many different species. I went unprepared, I was there mainly for dragonflies/damselflies because you can watch them pupate by the river from a distance (I struggle to see any here in uk). This was my first time seeing an Aporia and a grizzled skipper. Nearly cried and looking forward to dropping by this park when I will have an opportunity.
I can't name many of them but it relaxes me to take photos of butterflies and moths :lol: :lol:
Please drop me an email for photo walks. Here are my online galleries: FlickR ; Instagram ; 500px
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sounds great :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

sonomoha wrote:..This field was so tiny that I was overwhelmed to see that many different species. I went unprepared.
That's the beauty of butterflying on the continent. You can see a great deal in a relatively small area.
sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

David M wrote: That's the beauty of butterflying on the continent. You can see a great deal in a relatively small area.
One certainly misses the butterflies when back to UK :lol:
David M

Post by David M »

sonomoha wrote:
David M wrote: That's the beauty of butterflying on the continent. You can see a great deal in a relatively small area.
One certainly misses the butterflies when back to UK :lol:
Indeed, sonomoha. I've been enjoying 45+ species per day this past week but now I'm back home I won't even see a third of that. :(
sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

David M wrote:Indeed, sonomoha. I've been enjoying 45+ species per day this past week but now I'm back home I won't even see a third of that. :(
Sorry to hear that. I still hope to have some time to go out in meadows in July when I am there. Unfortunately, it always ends up that I am focusing too much on food every time I go down to the continent :lol:

Here here, just one little excerpt from my first close-up blues sighting from the last week-end of May (-:
p-icarus.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Like all good things though continental butterflying leaves you wanting more :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

sonomoha wrote:Unfortunately, it always ends up that I am focusing too much on food every time I go down to the continent
Easy to do in Italy, sonomoha! :D

At least you can burn the calories off during the day.
sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

Here here here, for my first marbled white, as seen on June 13th.
Location is Callington rd nature reserve (BS4), just next to home :D
KAB_0303.jpg
KAB_0283.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a cracking close up shot - it's great when you can get a 'tear' on their eye it reminds me of Pierrot :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Beautifully presented, sonomoha. Few things beat a fresh Marbled White.
sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

Wurzel wrote:That is a cracking close up shot - it's great when you can get a 'tear' on their eye it reminds me of Pierrot :D
Have a goodun
Wurzel
It's an almost 1:1 macro shot. Needless to say rain has been devastating that morning :lol:
David M wrote:Beautifully presented, sonomoha. Few things beat a fresh Marbled White.
Thanks David (-: There are butterflies around, so I have had sometimes to ruin my own photos while learning new stuff at working with imaging software :lol: :lol: Here are my last 2 of that same subject, the only flying around and about. Cheers.

KAB_0543.png
KAB_0519-3.png
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That first Marbled White is a cracker Sonomoha :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Great images of an often difficult butterfly, sonomoha.

Keep 'em coming!
sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

June 22nd, a walk by River Avon down Eastwood Farm to see some ducklings. The banks are buzzing with...humans :lol: :lol:
Went up the fields to look around. Big improvements. Besides the fewer worn blues, fresh Marbled whites and Meadow browns are finally out. This time of the year, I usually look forward to seeing skippers in places like Arnos Vale cemetery, Bristol (as already seen in early June).
Here, a glimpse into some photos made on Sunday 23rd, Eastwood Farm local Nature Reserve, Bristol. For these, you want to be out at 4:30am, soltice week :lol:

a worn blue
blue.png
a fresh meadow brown
meadow_B.png
a very brown marbled white
MW.png
Cheers :D
David M

Post by David M »

sonomoha wrote:....a very brown marbled white
That will be a female, sonomoha. :)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots Sonohoma - especially the close up of the Meadow Brown - I often forget how hairy butterflies actually are :shock: :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

Wurzel wrote:I often forget how hairy butterflies actually are :shock: :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Up close, they really have hairiness issues :lol: cheers

David M wrote:That will be a female, sonomoha. :)
Thanks for the info. Hopefully seeing many of those around so next year should be very well covered.
sonomoha

Post by sonomoha »

more JUNE
26.06 _ First 5-spot burnet moth (arnos vale). I was distracted by the foxes playing around the cemetery. By the time at

27.06 _ Many more MWs out in Callington rd LNR.
mw.png
mw.png (195.83 KiB) Viewed 3428 times
30.06 _ Saw what seems to be a large skipper at rest (Arnos vale cemetery).
LS.JPG
This is the first I managed to photograph on june 30 and the morning after, on July 1st.

JULY
03.07 _ Ringlets and lots of MW out in Eastwood farm lnr
05.07 _ First silver Y sighting of the year (Eastwood farm). Managed to photograph and film one. There were just about 3 of them where I usually see a lot of burnet companion and mint moths. Suprisingly, still no small skippers about this area, just few elusive large skippers and some very tiny blue I would into for ID :D

July 7th _ Arnos vale is finally getting lively with more skipper emerged in a week. The large skippers have improved in numbers but there are still many more small ones as each year. They looked fresh and could keep on emerging, so I was hoping to get better shots later this week. Also spotted for the first time in Arnos Vale, a blue-ish damselfly. :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”