Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Janet and ernie, I wondered at first what on earth the bird was doing :lol: It get's pretty hot on that shed so they had sense to bathe first. :D

I was fed up today, I'd been in the Garden and just gone in the house when I happened to look back and a Painted Lady had just landed on the the Boules Mauve , needless to say I grabbed the Camera again but with that Boot on my foot I couldn't hurry and it took off, :( :(
I decided to set off and visit Hall-Lee-Brook boot and all :D the weather was lovely not too hot and a nice Breeze , when I got there the first Butterfly I saw was a Painted Lady but it was in such poor condition I was wondered how it was managing to fly, so I left it alone and carried on.
. Meadow Browns were every where which is good and no mowing had been done in any of the three fields I saw, which I suppose had helped but there were so few Butterflies there, for instance I saw only one white which was too far a way for recognition, I still couldn't get a good shot of a MB so again although trying my best in walking through the tall grass boot and all they'd take off when I got near :roll: frustration is the word!!!!!
I took a few shots of Large Skippers, I love these little Butterflies they remind me of that song "King of the Road" the way they survey from the top of leaves the surrounding area :lol: Any way I'd to be content with a few shots of them, maybe the PL will be back tomorrow.Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_bbce.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_bbcf.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_bbcd.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Those bird images made me chortle, Goldie. I've never seen one spread its wings out and collapse like that. :)

Good luck with the Painted Ladies. I'm sure there are plenty around.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

At least the Large Skippers were some consolation Goldie :D - sometimes the butterflying goes like that - mind you I reckon the butterflies (particularly the Browns) have been extra twitchy this year :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, yes loads of Painted Ladies about but all I keep finding are in really bad shape :roll: Still may be one will land, i keep looking. Glad you like the bird shot :D I've taken shots of the Black bird doing the same , first time I saw them doing the Sun bathing I thought they were hurt. :lol:

Hi! Wurzel, the Butterflies don't seem to be landing in the Garden much , when they do they don't stay long enough for shots I think they're looking for partners :D Goldie :D
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Goldie - glad to see you got out. Those Large Skips are pretty good.
Ernie F
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks ernie, they were a consolation :D I keep missing the odd Butterfly because I'm too slow these days, today I missed my first Red Admiral of the season, it hopped over next doors fence :roll:

I did take some shots of what I think must be a Humming Bird Hawk moth, it's wings were a sight to see, I took some quick shots of it and I'm really chuffed with seeing it , I'd never seen one before so I'm thrilled, it's well named, I used to watch the Humming Birds when I was in the west Indies and it's flight is Identical :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_bbfe.jpeg
IMG_6278.jpg
fullsizeoutput_bbfb.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_bbff.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_bbf9.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_bbfd.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

A hummingbird hawk moth - what a tonic for you, Goldie, after you had been feeling fed up.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Dave, yes, it came at just the right time, it really fascinated me and cheered me up :D

These last two days in the Garden I seem to have missed more Butterflies than I managed to photo :roll:
I missed a Red Admiral a large White, a Tortoiseshell and a Comma, I was about to give up when I saw this Small White fly in and for once Managed a shot :D I walked round to the front garden and just spotted another Small Tort, I just got a shot rather dark because it was in amongst the flowers but I was happy to see it. :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_bc0a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_bc09.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_bc08.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Somehow I missed out your last post Goldie :oops: Cracking Hummingbird Hawk Moth :D Great stuff today as well, really interesting shot of the Small Tort :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Wow M! I sometimes get one in the garden ( but not this year yet) but I don't think I've ever got shots as good as those :mrgreen: Really well done!!! Just goes to show - you don't really need to go that far :wink: :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

Those really are great shots of the Humming-bird Hawk, Goldie. :) They move so fast it is tricky to get more than a blur normally. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I only got one shot of the ST, I'd tried three times today to catch it, ( that's if it was the same one) so I was determined that no matter where it was I wasn't going to wait for it to settle this time :D

Hi! Pauline, I'd never seen the Moth before and at first I thought it was a Bee, I then thought no, it's wings are too fast, I followed it round the back garden hoping for a shot and when it found those flowers it twisted into just the right position, I didn't care I just took one shot after another and hoped for the best. :lol:

Hi! Dave, I set my camera on repeat and just kept shooting hoping I'd get some thing :D when I saw the results, the actual moth,
I was really chuffed, some times things work don't they :D I'd love to see again :D Goldie :D
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Congratulations on your shots of the Hummingbird Hawk, Goldie. It's a species I've never managed to photograph, although I've tried many times. I think it's great that, while you are limited in your own movements, these wonderful insects are coming to find you :D

Mike
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Many thanks Mike, coming from you it's praise indeed :D I was very lucky I think with the shots, the Moth was slower than usual although it's wings were going fast, when it found that particular flower it hovered, the wings were fast but the body of the moth was just hovering which was a big help. :D The Butterflies have started to come but with some I've been too slow and just missed the shots , at least they're coming now , I'm using my foot more if it's only going from the front garden round to the back :lol: Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Yesterday we were back in the gloom again dark skies heralding the coming rain, the Butterflies have been very few and far between even in the nice few days we've had here .
I was in the Garden having fed the birds wondering why none had come to feed, when I looked up to the sky I realised why, Three Hawk's were circling round , one took off leaving just two , I couldn't make out just what they were but took some shots any way because I loved watching how they used their wings :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_bc18.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_bc1a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_bc16.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Greta shots Goldie - they're Buzzards using the thermals from the looks of it :D 8) I hope the weather picks up again for you so you can get back to the butterflies :? :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks for naming them Wurzel, they did seem rather large for Sparrow Hawks :D
Good new's today, I was discharged from the Hospital and can get rid of the boot in two weeks and start driving again :lol:
My Daughter wants me to go down there for the two weeks so it looks like I'll get to see more Butterflies :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's brilliant news Goldie - I reckon you're chomping at the bit by now :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Impressive, Goldie. I wonder if there was any carrion in the near vicinity? It's unusual for three birds to be circling over suburban gardens unless they've spotted something of interest.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel and David, not sure about carrion David, my garden gets loads of Birds and they were just high enough for me to see them, I saw one again today chasing a Sea Gull of all things, or would it be the other way round :D it was the noise they were making that drew my attention, I've certainly seen fewer birds in the last two days.

I'm off next week Wurzel to Kent, I've been looking at your post lovely Butterflies again, :mrgreen: :D We've had Sunshine and showers here, it's been more like April than July, so still nothing in the Garden as yet. I'll keep looking !Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”