Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

July 2019

Post by David M »

This should be a busy month....
millerd

Re: July 2019

Post by millerd »

My first Hedge Brown/Gatekeeper of the year seen roosting this evening at Box Hill in amongst hundreds of Marbled Whites.
GK1 020719.JPG
Dave
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

"Grey Ladies" lingering in sandy coastal Moray. Today in bright overcast weather.
19-07-03-133-PL.jpg
What a late summer in store when their offspring are around!

Jack
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

the action kicked off at Fermyn Wood today....

one Purple Emperor :?
fermyn1.JPG

there were plenty of Silver Washed Fritillaries & faded Painted Ladies.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

No Purple Emperors seen at Bookham today (2 seen battling at the master tree last week) and numbers of SWF and WA were surprisingly low. I did however see 4 Black (White) Admirals... I suspect all different but no pictures were obtained but I did get pics of two seperate SWF abs. That cold spell in June seems to have had a lasting effect, hopefully it's also just caused a slowing down of emergents too. Pictures will be seen sometime soon in my PD.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

If you're seeing that many Abs in your neck of the woods Paul then I reckon you're right - it must be temperature related. Would really like to see your pics of SWF abs. And yes, altho PE seem thin on the ground at the mo we should keep eyes peeled for abs here also.
David M

Post by David M »

That's an interesting hypothesis regarding the number of aberrations seen lately.

Perfectly plausible - it went from very cool and largely wet to dry and very hot almost overnight.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

A sneak preview of my future PD, as this is too special to wait until I catch up.

I visited Alice Holt Forest after work today...
White Admiral, Alice Holt Forest, Hampshire, 3rd July 2019
I too think the cold and damp June has caused the abs seen/reported recently.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

Went for an evening stroll to my patch, about ten minutes from my pad, and was surprised to see this Large Tortoiseshell basking in the late sunshine. I see that Large Torts have now been seen at four sites on Portland. Unfortunately mine was rather inaccesible, and I was unable to get any closer because of a large thicket of bramble, so my pics ,hugely cropped, are poor.

M
Nymphalis-polychloros_OM2019.jpg
Nymphalis-polychloros_OM2016.jpg
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Seen in the wood at Chiddingfold today,as well as 3 grounded P.E.'s by midday.
P.J.Underwood
Attachments
P7040871.JPG
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Interesting Lee - it looks like yours is another one judging by the wing damage - I think there may be as many as six present at Alice - saw at least two today one could have been the all black nigrina. Attached are some pics, I hope they don’t mind, I was present when some were taken one is mine but the others are Pauline, Ernie and Mike Gibbons.Pauline's and Ernie's were over a week apart so whilst they look similar I think they are probably different specimens?
The weather certainly did something!
Attachments
Mine
Mine
Ernies
Ernies
Paulines
Paulines
Mikes
Mikes
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

P.J.Underwood wrote:Seen in the wood at Chiddingfold today,as well as 3 grounded P.E.'s by midday.
P.J.Underwood
Look like Trevor's practicing his yoga moves :lol:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Mikhail wrote:Went for an evening stroll to my patch, about ten minutes from my pad, and was surprised to see this Large Tortoiseshell basking in the late sunshine..
Wow! Well done with that one, Mikhail. Usually these sightings occur in spring.
robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

Marbled Whites: this is probably only of local interest but yesterday, the 4th, in the afternoon I had my first ever Marbled White flying on the Ouse Washes reserve in Cambridgeshire, in about 30 years' recording wildlife there. I know of a small, long-established, introduced colony near Ely, some eight miles away, and I think the species is present and slowly spreading in the south of the county. Also yesterday was a report of exceptional numbers on Devils Dyke, about eighteen miles distant, but the species is virtually unknown in the flat, arable fens.

So I presumed this was an individual dispersing in the hot weather - an idea confirmed this afternoon when another flew across the playing field where my grandson was participating in his primary school sports day in Sutton.
"...we'll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies."
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Chiddingfold Forest,
The next day in the same place.Different participants and 4 groundings of P.E.'s within an hour.
P.E. 2.jpg
Attachments
P7050019.JPG
P.E. 1.jpg
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I am sure fellow arthritics know about the benefits of an articulated screen.
I would not buy a camera with a fixed screen (except perhaps a pocket compact).

Jack
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Having had 2 sessions for DGF's in the latter part of June, i had to try one more time, for a female DGF!
So, 3rd time lucky at the same location in Eynsford, Kent. 2/7/19.
Plenty of males around, i almost got a shot of a female twice...then i finally got what i went for, a female DGF.
I would think that there were no more than 2 to 3 females on site.

Images are not cropped, cheers Paul.
P1070538-copy-to-800.jpg
P1070490-copy-to-600.jpg

This might be an Essex Skipper too?
P1910219-copy-to-600.jpg
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

We went to Bookham Common yesterday. Much more cloud than forecast but very warm.

The first butterfly I saw as we left the train was a Purple Emperor flying in the car park + disappearing over some trees. In the early afternoon we had good views of 2 males in the traditional viewing area.

We saw 16 species in totals. The meadows were full of Ringlets + Meadow Browns with good numbers of Small + Large Skippers as well as more Marbled Whites than normal. They are now really common in the meadows of west London outer suburbs + had my first garden record a couple of days ago. Also 3 Small Heath here.

White Admirals seemed low in number with only 3 seen. Silver-washed Fritillaries seemed to be in similar numbers to recent years + i counted 18 of these. good numbers of Purple Hairstreaks with 2 low down.

One Painted Lady whizzed through + a few Red Admirals + Commas noted.
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Chiddingfold Forest.
Plenty of action today,especially by the Sallows.I have a photo of one on my boot,and a new photographer's movement for Jack.It looks like a forward flip with a rotation.Why not try it? As a matter of interest there has hardly been any dog poo around and this is the first time I have seen a P.E. getting stuck into a fern.
P.J.U.
Attachments
P.E. 8.jpg
P.E.7.jpg
P.E.6.JPG
P.E.5.jpg
P.E. on my boot..jpg
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Chiddingfold Forest.
Plenty of action today,especially by the Sallows.I have a photo of one on my boot,and a new photographer's movement for Jack.It looks like a forward flip with a rotation.Why not try it? As a matter of interest there has hardly been any dog poo around and this is the first time I have seen a P.E. getting stuck into a fern.
P.J.U.

Return to “Sightings”